Im new and greeen... Do we need Flood insurance??

Im new and greeen... Do we need Flood insurance??

Notices

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread

Old 11-25-2018, 05:05 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry C View Post
My wife and I are uprooting and moving to TV on Dec. 1. Lots of unknowns. We will be in Dunedin. What are your thoughts on Flood insurance? Lake Deaton (swampy) is not far. Maybe 600 feet. Do you recommend it?

Also, TV Insurance co. is pricier, but may include more coverage... is there another company you guys recommend? Suggestions?

THANK YOU!
TV Insurance is a broker, not an insurer. They always look for the best price and coverage for what we need. I changed my car insurance last year because they compared and found that Traveler's was the best deal for the money. Saved me quite a bit from the State Farm that I had. As for the flood insurance, that is federal insurance and the price is controlled by them. TV Insurance just set it up initially, and I get an invoice yearly from the carrier.
Amarillo, TX
The Villages, FL

To quote my dad:
"I never did see a board that didn't have two sides."

Old 11-25-2018, 05:41 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
We went through Irma last year (15 inches of rain in 24 hours if I recall correctly), and NO water anywhere close by (Pinellas), .
We are in Pinellas and our street was flooded up above the curb and the water came partway up ours and our neighbors' driveways and struck around for a few days. Part of Pinellas Pl. was flooded for a day or so.

Some houses in the historic section were flooded.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-25-2018, 08:32 PM
Gold member

Location: born Urbana,Il lived in Urbana Ohio for 65 years a house in Lake Deaton

A lot of good current information about flooding in TV would be found watching this Feb. 2018 Storm Water Management workshop video held at Rohan Rec Center -> The Villages Community Development District Storm Water Presentation - YouTube
Old 11-26-2018, 07:55 AM
Sage

Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.

Like ALL insurance..............You buy insurance to cover losses which you can not afford.

This is true with Health, Life, Auto & Homeowners' Insurances.

Don't get me going on extended warranty insurance or airline cancellation insurance.

Good Luck.
Old 11-26-2018, 08:05 AM

We went to a presentation by the head of the golf courses. He said that The Villages would never flood, as the water is all connected and they monitor and pump the water out of the retention ponds and send it to the golf courses. That's why in a heavy rain, it looks like they're watering irrigating the golf courses, but it's just managing the water. That said, during the last hurricane to hit here, some tunnels and golf courses were flooded (makes sense with his explanation), but no flooding at all in the neighborhoods, even for properties on water.
Old 11-26-2018, 08:21 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Thank you! My head says we'd be fine without it ($450/yr) but my heart worries... "what if?"
No one can really answer the OP's question because any house could potentially be flooded regardless of where it is located. You can't just go by the elevation of your house, and flood plain maps are always out of date, especially in a growing area. But, at $450 per house per year, it would cost 27 million dollars every year to insure the 60,000 houses in The Villages against flooding. Based on past experence for flood damage, that does not sound like a good deal to me.

Last edited by retiredguy123; 11-26-2018 at 08:35 AM.
Old 11-26-2018, 08:49 AM
Sage

We are located in a flood zone classified as a Y Zone. This means little to no risk.

My Flood Policy is Cheap For Good Sleep. Just do it, no big deal. At least for the first year and then recalculate.

Two manufactured Homes near the Dog Park were flooded. There may have been others but those are the ones I observed.

The catch basin on the gutter on our street were jammed with silt. The water backed up and came to close to many houses. Good Luck with your decision.
Old 11-26-2018, 08:08 PM

Quote:
My wife and I are uprooting and moving to TV on Dec. 1. Lots of unknowns. We will be in Dunedin. What are your thoughts on Flood insurance? Lake Deaton (swampy) is not far. Maybe 600 feet. Do you recommend it?

Also, TV Insurance co. is pricier, but may include more coverage... is there another company you guys recommend? Suggestions?

THANK YOU!
Please tell me what you mean by "Lake Deaton is swampy." There are so many areas that have ponds/lakes, I am wondering why you specifically mentioned Lake Deaton. What did you hear about that area?
Old 11-26-2018, 09:12 PM

Nothing, but the areas near the street we are looking at are up against a marshy looking area that goes out to lake Deaton. Just looks swampy or marshy... my wife imagines its full of gators! LOL (I think.)
Old 12-02-2018, 07:51 PM

contact - ammerman ins., p.o. box 490268, leesburg, fl. 34749 352-728-3991
Closed Thread

Tags
insurance, flood, recommend, pricier, feet