Inside Walled Back-Yard

Closed Thread
Old 03-03-2020, 05:20 PM
Default Inside Walled Back-Yard

Are there any restrictions, or do I need permission to do something like install a small storage shed in my back-yard if I am in a Villa, with walls completely enclosing my back-yard? How about something like a potting bench or a small raised-bed garden?

Thanks for any input.
Old 03-03-2020, 05:27 PM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

Check your Deed Restrictions to be safe and sure! Village Community Development Districts

Old 03-03-2020, 05:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,715 Times in 5,244 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwc7@hotmail.com View Post
Are there any restrictions, or do I need permission to do something like install a small storage shed in my back-yard if I am in a Villa, with walls completely enclosing my back-yard? How about something like a potting bench or a small raised-bed garden?

Thanks for any input.
I would just do it, as long as you are prepared to remove it if there is a complaint.
Old 03-03-2020, 06:43 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

I've have one of those sheds, or storage boxes, that are by Rubbermaid and it's plastic, but heavy duty. It has a lid that opens up on the top. It's about 6' long and about 3' high, bought it at Sam's for $99 about five years ago. I put it on the side between my house and my neighbors, it is almost impossible to see, in fact you would to stand on a ladder in my neighbor's driveway. Anyway, it's holds the weed-eater, blower, hand tools, all the smaller things that you need to trim the backyard. Makes it nice to not have to walk around to the garage. Looks just like this.

The Villages Florida
Old 03-04-2020, 06:39 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,663 Times in 941 Posts

Quote:

Thanks for any input.
Absolutely check your deed restrictions. Sheds are not permitted in most districts. Even if they are hidden behind a wall. The Smaller items will be ok, but you will need ARC approval if you place a structure to hold the raised bed.
Old 03-04-2020, 09:02 AM
Sage

If it's something that is raised, all you need to do is get ARC approval. We have a couple of neighbors that have trellises in their backyard. When I sent a request to ARC to change my house color I received a reply in 2 weeks. Most requests are approved, I only know one neighbor who requested a large birdcage. He was approved but told to move in one corner inward 5' from the sidewall.

The Villages Florida
Old 03-05-2020, 06:25 AM
Veteran member

you must keep a shed ( or anything else tall) below the top of the fence. Other than that, pretty much anything goes in a walled area.
Old 03-05-2020, 07:12 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,663 Times in 941 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowlingal View Post
you must keep a shed ( or anything else tall) below the top of the fence. Other than that, pretty much anything goes in a walled area.
Not sure where you read that. Can you provide a link?
Old 03-05-2020, 07:13 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,863 Times in 786 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
I've have one of those sheds, or storage boxes, that are by Rubbermaid and it's plastic, but heavy duty. It has a lid that opens up on the top. It's about 6' long and about 3' high, bought it at Sam's for $99 about five years ago. I put it on the side between my house and my neighbors, it is almost impossible to see, in fact you would to stand on a ladder in my neighbor's driveway. Anyway, it's holds the weed-eater, blower, hand tools, all the smaller things that you need to trim the backyard. Makes it nice to not have to walk around to the garage. Looks just like this.

The Villages Florida
I think this is a chest or storage box, not a shed. It can be easily lifted and moved around.
Old 03-05-2020, 10:53 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Ohiobuckeye

Quote:

Thanks for any input.
Just as long as it’s not higher than the wall.
Old 03-05-2020, 01:18 PM

Check with your district. There are three counties and thirteen districts. We have found them really helpful and volunteering good information on what we CAN do.
Old 03-05-2020, 01:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowlingal View Post
Old 03-05-2020, 01:53 PM
Sage

Quote:
I've have one of those sheds, or storage boxes, that are by Rubbermaid and it's plastic,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Choro&Swing View Post
I think this is a chest or storage box, not a shed. It can be easily lifted and moved around.
That's why I included a photo, but thanks for letting us know.
Old 03-05-2020, 09:55 PM

Might want to check your deed restrictions. I would say not, but it’s inside the fence so what happens inside the fence, stays inside the fence! Just had a fire in Desoto last week, probably about destroyed a villa. The fire rose from (a shed?) up into the eaves of the home setting the entire attic on fire, flames visible upon FD arrival! Just saying!
Old 03-06-2020, 09:51 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwhite5773 View Post
Might want to check your deed restrictions. I would say not, but it’s inside the fence so what happens inside the fence, stays inside the fence! Just had a fire in Desoto last week, probably about destroyed a villa. The fire rose from (a shed?) up into the eaves of the home setting the entire attic on fire, flames visible upon FD arrival! Just saying!
One has to consider, if the equipment in the (shed?) caused the fire, then where would that equipment needed to been stored without the shed. In the garage, fire now in the house in the garage area next to a car, probably next to gas cans, lawn mowers, maybe a gas hot water heater, a car. There was a million dollar house in Pinellas struck by lightning five years ago. I could see the smoke from my house 2 miles north. They had a 5 car garage with something in every bay, a boat, an ATV, a golf cart and a couple of cars, all with gas tanks.

I once rented a house that had a brand new garage, I asked what happened. The kid cutting the grass sat the gas can down in the garage and didn't put the lid back on. The flumes went across the floor to the pilot light on the water heater. Garage exploded killing one person in the kitchen.
Closed Thread

Tags
back-yard, small, inside, completely, enclosing

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.