Insurance rates in The Villages

Closed Thread
Old 01-04-2021, 02:20 PM
Platinum member
Location: Here, there, a lot of time in the Caribbean and keys, not much time spent in cold climates
Thanked 1,759 Times in 757 Posts
Default Insurance rates in The Villages

Annual rate increases have been substantial (American "Integrity" Insurance, average $300 a year increase. Just received 2021 bill, no claims (with any company) ever, increased $983 this year. Agent (unlike ANY we've ever had with any company) has been rather incognito. Was assigned to this agent (by life long company, Horace Mann, when first moved to Villages) and the only contact ever has been an email informing us he recommended switching to A.I.I. insurance, which we (foolishly ?) agreed to. Have never seen the agent and he has made no effort to ever speak with or meet us personally...something we were not at all used to. We also lost a lot of discounts as the A.I.I. for home owners does not have auto, so switched that to Progressive which has also been outrageous for clean driving and no claim record. Some here say "welcome" to Florida's "no rhyme or reason" arbitrary rate increases and cite examples of individuals who have even had DUI's and yet much lower rates (???). Any ideas of how to deal with this other than move out of Florida ? Anyone had experience where they had actually known and seen their agent on a personal basis elsewhere, and when they moved here found their agent was completely non-communicative and never reviewed such things as coverage, changes, etc. ? Anyone have an agent/company they recommend ? Had enough of this agent and agency over the last few years, even told not to call office or stop by to pay premiums, just send directly to company, which is fine but it also makes for a very impersonal relationship with one's agent/agency, so loss of an important factor in the customer/business relationship and trust factor. Additionally, this company does not seem to have a very good rating either, so who knows what would happen if there was an actual claim ? Realize this is our personal responsibility, but have never had an agent who made no contact at all, even if rate increases are expected, or home values rise or fall, etc. Maybe all agents are invisible in this area, and like it that way ? LOL ?
Old 01-04-2021, 02:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,367 Times in 2,396 Posts

The Villages Insurance, 14 years.
Always available, calls returned within a day, If necessary right away.
Annual review if requested.
ASI & Progressive.
Old 01-04-2021, 02:44 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,670 Times in 5,225 Posts

I have Progressive for homeowners insurance and have had only minor increases for the past 5 years. I have Allstate for auto insurance and have also only experienced minor increases. My homeowners agent is The Villages Insurance and my auto Allstate agent is Kevin McDonald. Both have been very responsive to my requests for information and assistance. But, if I didn't like my agent, I would fire them immediately. There is no reason to allow an agent to collect a commission every time you renew a policy if you aren't satisfied with their work. I would call another agent and transfer your policy.
Old 01-04-2021, 02:53 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

When I moved here in 2011 I contacted Villages Insurance at SS and said I was closing on such a date and I needed homeowners insurance for my CYV with sink hole and catastrophic collapse at my closing. After a couple of questions, she said I'll put you with American Integrity. The bill at closing was $505. By 2018 it was $985, and we also had no claims. I looked at past years and saw it was raised five times in 8 years.

I didn't pay the 2018 bill, instead I called Villages Insurance and said I want to switch companies and I asked about ASI. They are owned by Progressive I knew a lot of people have them. Well, they will not include sink hole, so I wrote them off. Eventually the agent suggested Cabrillo Coastal out of Gainesville.

Cabrillo Coastal included sink hole and catastrophic collapse and sink hole only had a 10% deductible with AI was 15%. She said the rate was $565, that was $400 cheaper. So I said sign me up. The second year it went up a slight amount to $619, still way ahead of AI. The only contact they made is they sent a photographer to house and he took exterior photos, nothing inside. So far so good.

Cabrillo Coastal General Insurance Agency – Residential property insurance for hurricane-exposed areas.
Old 01-04-2021, 11:34 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,980 Times in 713 Posts

I am with The Village Ins Co. They have me with Tower Hill for the house and Foremost for the golf carts. Not sure of any increases but my mortgage payment only went up $3 a month. As for Florida, everyone always makes in sound like they have the cheapest insurance rates in the country.
Old 01-05-2021, 08:04 AM
Veteran member

Have American "Integrity" Insurance. My subfloors (particle board) started to get soft and fail. Called my insurance agent and started a claim. Long story short, we were denied. They said it was due to "lack of maintenance". How are we suppose to "maintain" the subfloor?

Ended up having to tear up all the subfloor in the house and put down plywood at our own expense (besides having to rip up 6 year old laminate and having to put down new laminate because the old laminate was no longer available).

I know our options are limited when you own a manufactured home, but I can not recommend American "Integrity" Insurance.
Old 01-05-2021, 09:58 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelJohnson View Post
Have American "Integrity" Insurance. My subfloors (particle board) started to get soft and fail. Called my insurance agent and started a claim. Long story short, we were denied. They said it was due to "lack of maintenance". How are we suppose to "maintain" the subfloor?

Ended up having to tear up all the subfloor in the house and put down plywood at our own expense (besides having to rip up 6 year old laminate and having to put down new laminate because the old laminate was no longer available).

I know our options are limited when you own a manufactured home, but I can not recommend American "Integrity" Insurance.
We were denied on a roof claim by ASI, employed a public claims adjuster and eventually a lawyer to resolve the matter. Bottom line is, we got the new roof and ASI paid the claims adjuster and the lawyer. If they'd approved the claim in the first place, would have saved themselves over 12K in fees.

Sometimes I think they deny first and wind up paying later. BTW, it took almost a year to resolve the process.

"I wish I didn't know now, what I didn't know then"
-Bob Seger-
Old 01-06-2021, 10:00 AM

You might want to think about the size of the insurance company. While a Florida company may offer lower rates, will they have the resources to meet all of the claims if a large storm hits Florida? Just one of many things to consider when buying insurance...
Closed Thread

Tags
agent, company, insurance, rate, increases

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.