Snowbird Friends

Closed Thread
Old 02-26-2011, 09:01 AM
Default Snowbird Friends

Hubby and I can't wait to make TV our "6 month" home. We have children and grandchildren up north, so can't cut the cord completely (although I hear that may change once we're in TV). So, I have two questions:
I've read everything on here about new vs pre-owned. We've been told that new is better because the golf groups, people going out for dinner, etc are already formed in established neighborhoods and it would be difficult to find friends to do things with. Thoughts?

For snowbirds (I hope that's not an insulting term. Is it supposed to be seasonal residents?), do you have trouble making and keeping your villages friends when you're not here year round?

Sorry for so many questions!
Old 02-26-2011, 10:11 AM
Veteran member
Default Snowbird friends

We are in TV for 2 months in the spring and fall and we rent out our CYV for the winter. We bought a pre-owned and our neighbours welcomed us into the "social" circle immediately. Our neighbourhood has Friday "driveway drinks" and regular neighbourhood activities if you want to join in. When we are away, we stay in touch by email and our neighbourhood has a monthly newsletter that
keeps us up to date on what is happening.

I understand that other neighbourhoods have similar connections and so it might be a good idea to ask neighbours that are out in the street about the neighbourhood before you decide to purchase a pre owned.

Our experience has been fabulous and our renters have been welcomed into the neighbourhood on their first visit. They can't get over how friendly our neighbours are. And that doesn't mean that they are into your house every minute. If you are open to joining in then people will pick that up. We can't wait to get back in April.

LW888
Old 02-26-2011, 05:52 PM

Hi Light, we found it great our first year but not so much 2nd year and have not been for 2 years. Really nice if there are things like that driveway party. We did have a cocktail party at our home both years and I do think that helped.
Coming again next winter to Lynnhaven we hope.
Old 02-26-2011, 09:24 PM
Gold member
Default Snowbirds

Quote:
Originally Posted by princesspat View Post
Hubby and I can't wait to make TV our "6 month" home. We have children and grandchildren up north, so can't cut the cord completely (although I hear that may change once we're in TV). So, I have two questions:
I've read everything on here about new vs pre-owned. We've been told that new is better because the golf groups, people going out for dinner, etc are already formed in established neighborhoods and it would be difficult to find friends to do things with. Thoughts?

For snowbirds (I hope that's not an insulting term. Is it supposed to be seasonal residents?), do you have trouble making and keeping your villages friends when you're not here year round?

Sorry for so many questions!
First welcome to the forum and your first post. Wherever you buy you'll find friendly people. We remain friends with our winter friends and justr pick up where we left off when we left. We still call then and they call us when we;re up north.
Old 02-26-2011, 09:30 PM
Sage

We bought a resale recently and will only be in TV maybe 3-5 times a year for only a week or two at a time. Such is our life situation at present!! I feel it's incumbent on us as newbies to the neighborhood to get out and meet our neighbors and keep in contact them whether we're in TV or not. If we just sit on our butts and wait for people to come knocking on our door, we're undoubtedly going to be disappointed.....though a couple of neighbors did stop by to introduce themselves when we were first looking at the house prior to buying.

It is what you make it - making and keeping friends in TV is something that'll probably need to be a somewhat proactive venture. JMHO

Bill
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.