Extra Car Parking

Closed Thread
Old 07-02-2008, 01:39 AM
Default Extra Car Parking

Planning on spending the month of Aug. in the Villages to hopefully purchase a home. I like the layout of the villas, but not the size of the garage. If a villa owner has 2 cars and a golf cart where do they park the second car?
Thanks,
Bob
Old 07-02-2008, 03:55 AM
Sage
Default Re: Extra Car Parking

Most courtyard villas have 1 1/2 car garages, but a few have 2 car garages. All Courtyard Villa areas also have lots designated for guest parking since you're not allowed to park on the streets. The guest parking is not for a resident's second car! It is for guests only and is regularly policed by The Villages to ensure residents don't use it for additional parking.

You can squeeze a car and a golf cart in the garage and park another car in the driveway, if you must have two cars. But I doubt you'd want 2 cars in TV. We have a Villa with one car, one golf cart and a motorcycle. We only drive the car if it is raining or we're going off the Reservation.
Old 07-02-2008, 05:09 PM

My second car is a Jeep Wrangler. I have that one to tow behind the Motorhome. Other than that my "regular" car would suffice. I suppose I could park it off site where I will store the Motorhome.
Thanks for the reply,
Bob
Old 07-05-2008, 12:13 AM

In our neighborhood, we see a lot of people who park their second car in the driveway. I don't like the looks of it, but its allowed, and does get the job done.
Old 07-05-2008, 01:19 AM
Platinum member

We also moved here having had a motor home and 2 cars. We sold the Acura before we moved here and when we need a car (which isn't often) we use our Honda Element (which we tow)

We started off with a 2 seater golf cart and took it back for a 4 seater. We rarely use the car except when we leave the area. This is a great way to save gas money. Just about everything here is golf cart accessible. Even when we have a cold winter evening, we but a blanket over our legs, put the sides down and we are off.

We have a court yard villa, which is great for our little dogs.
Tampa, FL
Old 02-26-2011, 01:48 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,665 Times in 594 Posts

you can also park your 2nd vehicle in the "guest" parking area.
We've a neighbor that does just that, and the deed restriction guy says it's not a problem (re: violation).
Old 02-26-2011, 02:41 PM
Veteran member

We started off with two cars when we moved here 3 1/2 years ago; I could not at that time imagine not each having our own car, as we always had had up north, which is what I think of Kentucky as being. (In fact, up north my husband was used to having two vehicles just for himself). We initially had a courtyard villa with 1 1/2 car garage and parked one car plus the golf cart in there; the other car was always on the parking pad in front of the garage. After about a year it dawned on us that only rarely was the garaged car out of the garage; in fact, we even weirdly began storing things in it. (For example, items that we planned to take 'up north' to our kids' on our next trip went in the 'garaged' car; the extra cd's we weren't listening to in the 'used' car went in the 'garaged' car; our beach towels and beach chairs were stored in the 'garaged' car for easy access to move them into the 'used' car when we went to the beach)!! It became like the treadmill that people sometimes end up using as a clothes rack.

For us, the solution was to downsize to one car and we have been happy with that; we figured that for the rare situation where we needed an extra car for one of us to go out of town, etc, it would be easier just to rent a car. (We've never had to do that, either). I know that is not a solution for everyone, but for us one car has worked out just fine.

Changes in attitude about what is important take time as we adjust to a different lifestyle here; what we have always wanted or needed might change over time; it is different for all of us, and changes occur at a different pace for different people. Now, when I look back to all the years that we had multiple vehicles I just think of the time involved in maintenance, etc; not to mention the expense of the insurance, etc; and for me they symbolize not a luxury, but instead a more hectic fact-paced, stressful lifestyle that we had then which necessitated multiple vehicles because we had to be apart so much of the time, which I am happy to be free of now.

Measure your wealth not by the things that you have, but by the things you have for which you wouldn't take money.
The world needs dreamers; the world needs 'do'-ers. But most of all, the world needs dreamers who are do-ers.

Last edited by Freeda; 02-26-2011 at 07:12 PM.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.