Local Transportation in the Villages

Closed Thread
Old 10-17-2021, 08:09 AM
Default Local Transportation in the Villages

We will be moving to Citrus Grove after Christmas and will be flying back and forth from Connecticut in the mean time.

So, we will not have a car until the move. Rental Car prices are through the roof, so we are going to take a van to TV.

Is there local taxi, LYFT or UBER service from Citrus Grove to stores in Lady Lake??
Old 10-17-2021, 08:58 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,919 Times in 1,109 Posts

I don’t know what rental car prices are now and I don’t know what you mean by back and forth , but it seems to me a car rental or even a golf cart rental would be cheaper then using a cab or Uber unless you are going to limit yourself to one trip to stores and never go anyplace else all day
Old 10-17-2021, 09:09 AM

Rent a golf cart from J & J golf carts
Old 10-17-2021, 10:04 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmhouse Burger View Post
We will be moving to Citrus Grove after Christmas and will be flying back and forth from Connecticut in the mean time.
Why not just buy a golf cart?
Old 10-17-2021, 10:54 AM
Default getting around the villages in the very beginning

just my humble opinion, but I would buy a used golf cart the first week you are here.
Here is why:

My wife and I went through this back in early April when we were commuting frequently from Boston. I should more accurately say my wife went through this as she carried the burden of setting up the home.

We tried a variety of strategies, including rental cars which was tedious with the line ups at MCO plus the cost.

About 4 weeks after the move we bought a used golf cart for 5k. Instant relief! The ease to go get groceries and little items for the house was a big weight lifted.

About 8 weeks after the move we bought a used car for 10k. This gave us the flexibility to get around on longer trips to further parts of the Villages.

In sum, you need some sort of wheels to get around and renting either a car or golf cart just delays the inevitable. Both vehicles we bought have held their value and we could turn around and sell them if we want for the same price we paid for them.

Also if you are doing to and from airport runs. Groome transportation has the nicest new vehicles and at $35 door to door you can tip the driver $5 in cash each way and its $40 one way traveler. I meet tons of great people on this caravan too with similar commuting stories. I have tried to them all Villages Airport shuttle, Groome and Workman. Groome is my favorite but rest assured none of them are bad. Writing this I have a 3:45am pickup tomorrow for 6am flight so I can get back to Boston for work tomorrow morning by 9am
Old 10-17-2021, 11:01 AM
Veteran member

If they are wanting to get from "down south" to the commercial stretch on 441/27 in Lady Lake, a golf cart will not suffice. Some of those stores are reachable by cart (although it would be a VERY LONG cart ride from their home) but many are not. I would certainly agree that having a cart from day one would simplify their lives but if the primary issue is buying things for their new home, I would try to buy everything online. Amazon, Wayfair, and Houzz are all good options for home furnishings.

Good luck with your move!

kathy
Old 10-17-2021, 11:56 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,371 Times in 2,517 Posts

Car rental is ridiculous the world over.
Last time we came to TV 2019/20 our car rental was £500. a month.
Just been quoted from same source £2057. for same period.
At present exchange rate, ($1.36 to £1) that's $2591.
Golf carts are the way to go.
Old 10-17-2021, 03:23 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Sumter County, Florida
7375 Powell Road
Wildwood, FL 34785
Ph: 352-689-4400
FX: 352 689-4401

Sumter County does have a transit bus and you could call the number above to see if they cover your area. I regularly see the bus outside Publix on Wedgewood Lane.

Transportation in TV is basically cabs, hire a car, or use Uber. Very lacking in a community of this size.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 10-17-2021, 06:56 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DylanTodd View Post
just my humble opinion, but I would buy a used golf cart the first week you are here.
Here is why:

My wife and I went through this back in early April when we were commuting frequently from Boston. I should more accurately say my wife went through this as she carried the burden of setting up the home.

We tried a variety of strategies, including rental cars which was tedious with the line ups at MCO plus the cost.

About 4 weeks after the move we bought a used golf cart for 5k. Instant relief! The ease to go get groceries and little items for the house was a big weight lifted.

About 8 weeks after the move we bought a used car for 10k. This gave us the flexibility to get around on longer trips to further parts of the Villages.

In sum, you need some sort of wheels to get around and renting either a car or golf cart just delays the inevitable. Both vehicles we bought have held their value and we could turn around and sell them if we want for the same price we paid for them.

Also if you are doing to and from airport runs. Groome transportation has the nicest new vehicles and at $35 door to door you can tip the driver $5 in cash each way and its $40 one way traveler. I meet tons of great people on this caravan too with similar commuting stories. I have tried to them all Villages Airport shuttle, Groome and Workman. Groome is my favorite but rest assured none of them are bad. Writing this I have a 3:45am pickup tomorrow for 6am flight so I can get back to Boston for work tomorrow morning by 9am
Good luck. Last week Groome failed to pick me up in a 3 am to 3:45 a.m. window. They sent 2 emails confirming the time. The problem is there is absolutely NO way to contact Groome outside of business hours. At 4:13 I jumped in the car and barely made my plane. When i got home, I had a call on my machine from Groome that they were picking me up at 4:53. No way would I have made my plane.
Old 10-18-2021, 04:59 AM
Veteran member

Excellent advice above, buy or rent a golf cart, or a used car to leave here, you can sell something pretty easy if you don't want it after a few months
Old 10-18-2021, 05:40 AM
Veteran member

buy a good used car and be done with it. In the end, it will be much cheaper than any other option. you can always get a golf cart later
Old 10-18-2021, 05:44 AM

I’ve actually been checking on rental car prices recently and they have come down substantially. I usually use Priceline for the best deals.
Old 10-18-2021, 05:46 AM
Platinum member
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Fox View Post
Why not just buy a golf cart?
From Citrus Grove to Lady Lake like OP was talking about....
would be like KathySpears said...doable although it would be a VERY LONG cart ride from their home...
Old 10-18-2021, 06:48 AM

Buy a golf cart.
Old 10-18-2021, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DylanTodd View Post
Here is why:

My wife and I want to come down next spring to look for a house. We are planning to come for a month. Half vacation and half working (we are not retired quite yet). We have heard about shuttles from Orlando (Villages Airport shuttle?) and Groome is mentioned. Could you please be more specific. As stated renting cars at the airport is crazy expensive. We will rent a place with golf cart and rent a car near the villages as needed. We would love to know how best to get from the airport to TV. Thanks so much!
Closed Thread

Tags
local, car, citrus, grove, van

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.