First visit - Is 3 days long enough?

Closed Thread
Old 02-09-2011, 09:08 PM
Default First visit - Is 3 days long enough?

My wife and I are thinking about coming down for Labor Day weekend. We live in Georgia and could drive down on Thursday nite, stay Fri, Sat & Sunday and go back on Monday. Is this too short for the first visit?
Old 02-09-2011, 09:13 PM
Sage

Richard - Welcome to TOTV!!!! You'll probably find that ANY visit will seem too short. But the nice thing is, given that you're from GA, it's not a real long drive to come down to TV again..........and again..........and again..........

Many people find their first visit to be a bit overwhelming - soooo much to see and do. It's almost too much to take in. We felt that way. We made a series of trips over a couple of years to try to get more familiar, comfortable, and knowledgeable with TV. Some stays were short, some were longer. Worked for us!!

Regardless of the time you have available for a first trip, you'll enjoy it!

Again, welcome!

Bill
Old 02-09-2011, 09:59 PM

Three days might be pushing it to buy a place. Our visit was planned for one night at the Waterfront Inn to rule out TV as a place to retire. We extended our stay for another 5 days and signed the offer on our way back to the airport. She has been in TV since Christmas and I'm still shoveling snow in Massachusetts. Soon to be a snowbird.
Old 02-09-2011, 10:00 PM
Sage

Richard,

Another welcome to TOTV. My first visit to TV was last July -- I think it was about 5 days, and it didn't seem long enough as there is so much to see and do. But I did get to go several open houses. I hope to rent for a week this summer and a week this fall to get a better idea of what actually living in TV would be like. In the future I want to do a Lifestyle Preview Visit, but I want to wait until it's closer to the time I will actually purchase a home in TV. If you and your wife can take a Lifestyle Preview visit that would be beneficial. If you call the TV sales office, they can tell you more about it. Good luck to you.
Old 02-09-2011, 10:09 PM
Sage

Hi Richard,
Welcome my fellow Georgian to TOTV! I agree with Bill completely. If you can only get away for three days, it's worth coming down for a visit.

If LSV's are still available for that short a time frame, it would be ideal to sign up for one since it includes some freebies. Here are some other suggestions.

• Download a copy of The Recreation News before you come to get an idea of the events, clubs and activities available. They come out every Thursday, so pick up a copy of the current issue when you come down.
  • Order the $5 Villages map before you come to help you orient. You can order it from here.
  • Take the free Trolley Tour that starts from the Lake Sumter Sales office. You'll get a good "big picture" overview.
  • Be sure to visit both town squares. Go to at least one of them between 5-9 p.m. when there is live entertainment.
  • Check out a few of the Regional and Neighborhood Recreation Centers. They all have similar amenities, but each has it's own themed decor and charm.
  • I don't think I would look at houses to purchase the first time on such a short trip. Too much to see. However, do drive around and look at neighborhoods both north and south of Highway 466. The older neighborhoods are north. Landscaping is more mature and many of the homes are further apart. The south side features newer homes. Be sure to visit areas around St. James, St. Charles, etc. where the newest homes are being built.
  • Drink the ... oh nevermind. Have a great time.
If you have more questions in the meantime, just ask us on TOTV. And please keep us posted about your trip!
Pturner
Old 02-09-2011, 10:40 PM

We came down for a one day visit, a few months later came on the Lifestyle Preview Plan for 4 days, called my rep 2 months later, came & picked out my homesite and floorplan and moved in 3 months later.
Old 02-09-2011, 10:46 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Vickers View Post
My wife and I are thinking about coming down for Labor Day weekend. We live in Georgia and could drive down on Thursday nite, stay Fri, Sat & Sunday and go back on Monday. Is this too short for the first visit?
Our first visit in 2007 was a three-day Lifestyle Preview. It was adequate time for us to decide that we wanted to buy a house in TV. We returned home and bought a home that we saw on the Internet ... MLS. Four years later and we have no regrets.
Old 02-10-2011, 06:57 AM
Default Is 3 days long enough?

Our first visit was a 3 day life style program in August to see what the summer would be like. After that visit we knew The Villages would be the place for us to retire when we were old enough. Returned a year and a half later for one week to buy. We knew what model we wanted, it was a matter of preowned or new. Made the decision very quickly once we found "the place" . We moved full time the summer of 2005. It is the best decision we ever made. So yes, 3 days is enough.
Old 02-10-2011, 07:50 AM
Veteran member
Default Re: 3 days

As with everything, so much depends on the persons and how they do life, but that being said, I think that a 3 day LSV will be enough to know if TV is for you or not. You can then decide in your own way, what the best "next move" would be.

You are fortunate to be living in GA. We are in Canada and take 3 days to drive the 21hr. distance. We purchased on our first visit, which was a rental and we bought the CYV that we had rented. We knew within the first few days that we were interested in purchasing and we didn't really look around much or do much due diligence which is not our usual style. I'm usually searching out all possibilities and implications before hand.

But I have to say that as I get older, I am realizing that the choices we are presented with and drawn to, are usually the ones that are the best options for us and that we usually go back to our first choice after all the searching anyway!

Welcome to TOTV and plan for whatever time you can make. It will be enough to know if you want to pursue this dream.........and for us it has been a dream come true and one that we didn't know we really had until it found us. LIke they say, there are no accidents.

Enjoy your time here.

LW888
Old 02-10-2011, 09:03 AM
Veteran member

Depends what your intentions are. Our first visit was a "day trip" where we decided we'd come back and do a LifeStyles visit. Were here a week. Everytime we came back after, before we moved here was for a week and none was long enough. We felt the "pull" and wanted to be here longer. Hope your time will be enjoyable.
Old 02-10-2011, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Vickers View Post

We visited six times, each time was a little longer. Once we rented for a month then that was enough for us to know for sure if we wanted to move to TV or not. With the month visit we had all the time to do a 'normal' life at TV.

Good Luck!

aj
Old 02-10-2011, 09:38 AM
Sage
Location: the villages since 04. Lived in Alaska, Texas, California, Massachusetts, Maine, Maryland, New York
Thanked 7,003 Times in 1,202 Posts

Bring your checkbook, and have a realtor available back home to sell your place up there. 3 days and you will be hooked on the most fabulous place to live in the world. Welcome to paradise.
Old 02-10-2011, 02:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,658 Times in 592 Posts

3 days is the appetizer, just to get a feel - you'll love it or hate it.

I would not suggest buying a property on a 3day trip.

best wishes.
Old 02-10-2011, 02:06 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pturner View Post
Hi Richard,
Welcome my fellow Georgian to TOTV! I agree with Bill completely. If you can only get away for three days, it's worth coming down for a visit.

If LSV's are still available for that short a time frame, it would be ideal to sign up for one since it includes some freebies. Here are some other suggestions.

• Download a copy of The Recreation News before you come to get an idea of the events, clubs and activities available. They come out every Thursday, so pick up a copy of the current issue when you come down.
  • Order the $5 Villages map before you come to help you orient. You can order it from here.
  • Take the free Trolley Tour that starts from the Lake Sumter Sales office. You'll get a good "big picture" overview.
  • Be sure to visit both town squares. Go to at least one of them between 5-9 p.m. when there is live entertainment.
  • Check out a few of the Regional and Neighborhood Recreation Centers. They all have similar amenities, but each has it's own themed decor and charm.
  • I don't think I would look at houses to purchase the first time on such a short trip. Too much to see. However, do drive around and look at neighborhoods both north and south of Highway 466. The older neighborhoods are north. Landscaping is more mature and many of the homes are further apart. The south side features newer homes. Be sure to visit areas around St. James, St. Charles, etc. where the newest homes are being built.
  • Drink the ... oh nevermind. Have a great time.
If you have more questions in the meantime, just ask us on TOTV. And please keep us posted about your trip!
Pturner
Well said...
Old 02-10-2011, 02:30 PM
Veteran member
Default Days needed to fall in love with TV

We came in person last Feb for 3 days. We had viewed the video before hand and spoke to firends who are snow flakes.

We spent most of the time during the day with our realtor, primarily looking at new home models, stopped in at neighborhood pool, a regional location. Palmer country club etc. Our snoflake friends happen to be here and we did a tour and had dinner at Katie Belles. It was great!

We're two years away from retirning now but it was very worthwhile tri[. Don't know if we would have bought if we were ready to buy. However, we would not have had to any more visits, or having to rent to makeup our minds.

I must admit, viewing TOTV the last year was as convincing and informative enough for our commitment to retire to TV.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.