Making the Move

Making the Move

Notices

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements

Old 06-09-2019, 05:11 PM
Veteran member

We've chosen the DIY route. Hubby has a pickup truck with a cap on the bed. I have a small 5-door hatchback. We have a friend with a small (4x6) trailer. Hubby's truck has a trailer hitch. So we're taking a couple of trips down with stuff, and having yard sales every weekend to get rid of everything we can, that isn't coming with us. Our total liveable space is larger in our Villages home, but our northern home has a full basement. I'm hoping we won't have much left to deal with once our northern house is sold, but we won't have the room or the means to bring it all south. So it'll end up on the curb, or donated.

Old 06-10-2019, 12:50 PM

We went with uhaul. We sold and gave away a lot and still filled a 20 foot truck. We hired people on both ends to load and unload. I drove the truck and took my time, not bad. It cost about 1/3 of the quotes we received from full service movers. Lots of issues with full service movers, just google it.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-10-2019, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by valuemkt View Post
Large home in Villages = 2000-2500 sq ft. on a slab. Large home in Pennsylvania = 5000-6000 sq ft on a full basement. So we're starting with trying to put 20 or 30 pounds of "stuff" into a 10 pound bag.
I don’t know what the OP considers a large house but I do know Premier homes run larger, sometimes much larger than 2500 sq feet. Some models run up to 3800 sq ft, and I’ve wandered into homes here in the Villages that were well over 4000 sq ft.

We are one of those apparently rare couples that over downsized. We should have brought the tools and saved more Christmas decorations...
Old 06-10-2019, 03:22 PM

The moving company was horrendous. Came in the evening, announced we needed to buy them a couple of pizzas with pepperoni or they wouldn't have the strength to work and didn't finish loading up until midnight at which time they announced they had underestimated the weight and the cost was double the quote. There was nothing we could do but pay it. When we got down here and were waiting for them, a strange guy showed up and said he had answered a job posting on Craigslist to help unload a truck at our address. Class operation. Several pieces of furniture were damaged or completely broken and much of the hardware was missing. If we had to do it all again I would get a pod and also unload much more of the furniture before we moved. We had gotten rid of about 75% and should have done about 95%. Of the 25% we brought, about 20% ended up at Bargains and Treasures with everyone else's furniture that they brought down and no longer wanted.
Old 06-12-2019, 05:12 PM

The Villages is surrounded by dozens of used furniture shops that are full of the stuff that people thought they couldn't do without before they hauled it all down here at great expense and then discarded. Look carefully at what you plan to bring down and then get rid of most of it.
Old 06-12-2019, 06:04 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmed59 View Post
I don’t know what the OP considers a large house but I do know Premier homes run larger, sometimes much larger than 2500 sq feet. Some models run up to 3800 sq ft, and I’ve wandered into homes here in the Villages that were well over 4000 sq ft.

We are one of those apparently rare couples that over downsized. We should have brought the tools and saved more Christmas decorations...
We over downsized too. Ended up buying stuff we should have moved down. I greatly regret some of the tchotckes (sp) and some furniture pieces we left behind. Since we lived at the waterfront, our stuff was not the heavy antique or dark wood variety. But maybe the above poster's house was a lot bigger than our two.

We moved from two places simultaneously--a 2200- square-foot condo and a 900-square-foot apartment in two different states. Total cost was $3000 in 2011. I'm surprised at and sorry about an above poster's $6000 cost.

Tags
home, moving, companies, tips, move