Manufactured Home Insurance?

Closed Thread
Old 02-14-2019, 08:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,369 Times in 3,050 Posts
Default Manufactured Home Insurance?

We just put a deposit down on a lovely manufactured home in the Orange Blossom area of TV. Closing is fairly soon. We purchased it with a terrific Villages agent, and the seller used an equally terrific Villages agent.

After I put the deposit down I went walking around Spanish Springs, went into some stores to do stuff, got into conversations (I was excited!), and someone mentioned that there is only one insurance company that offers homeowners insurance on manufactured homes. He didn't mention which one that was, and he doesn't own in that part of TV so I don't know where he would have gotten this info from.

So now I'm asking people who currently actually live in a manufactured home in The Villages - is that true? There's only one? If so, which one is it, so I can get in touch with them in the next few weeks? If not, which others are there? Or if there's already a thread about it would someone kindly link me?

Thanks!
Old 02-14-2019, 08:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,996 Times in 2,197 Posts

If you go to the Villages Insurance (they have several locations in TV) and ask them, they will be able to help. You can probably call also.
Old 02-14-2019, 08:26 PM
Gold member
Location: Pittsburgh, Cincinnati,Chicago ,buffalo, Asheville ,Pittsburgh
Default Insurance

You will be able to get insurance however you will be limited in the amount you can buy depending on the age of the manufactured home. Bet your realtor didn't tell you that

Last edited by Fredman; 02-14-2019 at 08:38 PM.
Old 02-14-2019, 08:57 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredman View Post
You will be able to get insurance however you will be limited in the amount you can buy depending on the age of the manufactured home. Bet your realtor didn't tell you that
There are limits to all homeowner insurances for all types of homes. We don't have "replacement" insurance in our current home, which is a freestanding single-family house with a full basement on a half acre of land in a non-HOA community. I wouldn't expect replacement value on any home anywhere.

I don't assume we'd get our full investment back if the dwelling was totaled. Insurance is more of a peace-of-mind thing, and it's a crapshoot. You're betting your home will be damaged. The insurance company is betting it won't.
Old 02-14-2019, 09:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,930 Times in 2,700 Posts

Not an expert on this but we did look into it when considering a Manufactured home. It depends on the year built as the building code changed while the historic district was being built. The homes built during the first few years are very hard to insure as the hurricane code in place during construction is now outdated. Insurability is also subject to the quality of the hurricane tie-down strap system attached to the home. We were told that many residents with older homes, with outdated tie- down systems, opt to only carry renters insurance, which insures the contents of the home, but not the home itself. The thinking is that the value of the property is mostly in the land, not the home. And since homeowners is so expensive relative to the replacement value of the manufactured home, it makes sense to only carry renters insurance. Again, I am not an expert on this, that's just what we learned when considering buying a manufactured home.
Old 02-15-2019, 09:05 AM
Veteran member

Foremost is one of the top companies, but I second the recommendation to check with local agents.

Here's an article with some tips.

Rates for manufactured homes have been going up in the last several years.
Old 02-15-2019, 09:24 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,743 Times in 1,383 Posts

Of course having choices and the ability to shop around is important but when all gets said and done all that is needed is one provider.

Did you ask any of the neighbors....possible best source of information on the subject.

Good luck.
Old 02-15-2019, 05:50 PM
Veteran member

We got ours through Robert Blakeley Insurance, 352-383-4800....they seemed to know what they were talking about!
Old 02-15-2019, 07:22 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
Of course having choices and the ability to shop around is important but when all gets said and done all that is needed is one provider.

Did you ask any of the neighbors....possible best source of information on the subject.

Good luck.
We won't be living there for a few more months. We're coming down for the closing and to start setting up a couple of essentials. But I've only met one neighbor and that was during the initial walk-through of the house and it was on our way back to the agent's office.

Meanwhile, thanks to everyone who answered the question!
Old 02-15-2019, 07:25 PM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

Maybe the folks you purchased from could tell you what company they used.

Old 02-16-2019, 07:38 AM

We use Cabrillo Coastal General Insurance/Safe Harbour Ins Co, through The Villages Insurance, 352-751-6622.
Old 03-07-2019, 08:41 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,297 Times in 535 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post
We won't be living there for a few more months. We're coming down for the closing and to start setting up a couple of essentials. But I've only met one neighbor and that was during the initial walk-through of the house and it was on our way back to the agent's office.

Meanwhile, thanks to everyone who answered the question!
We bought one about seven years ago. It needed work so we told the insurance company it was empty and would be for a couple months. We had to insure it through “Lloyd’s of London” because nobody was living in it. Very Expensive for 3 months of insurance. Now, I know there were several rentals where nobody was living there. My guess is they just didn’t tell... However, perhaps if something did happen - - would they be insured? Your guess is good as mine.
Old 03-07-2019, 11:00 AM

Before buying in TV we had a Mobile Home in Leesburg, we had our insurance through West-Gate Jones Insurance Co. Now that we own in TV we still use them and have nothing but good things to say about them! Wonderful people and they went above and beyond to help us when we had a claim on the MH. Would highly recommend them. 352-787-7548.
Old 03-07-2019, 04:29 PM
Sage

We ended up having the Villages Insurance get quotes for us, since we really didn't have much time to shop around. We got coverage for a year on our home and the used golf cart we purchased, for under $1000 combined. For this first year, I think it was more important to get insurance right away, than it was to worry about the best deal on it. Next year we'll have been living there for awhile, and will be in a much better position to price-shop for the most coverage we can get for our money (whatever that happens to be a the time).
Old 03-07-2019, 05:24 PM
Veteran member

Clifford Insurance who is local can help you out. Been in business over 40 years

Clifford Insurance Center | Summerfield Auto, Home, Business, Life

Last edited by GatorFan; 03-07-2019 at 05:24 PM. Reason: Spelling
Closed Thread

Tags
manufactured, insurance, home, villages, agent

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.