Manufactured Homes

Closed Thread
Old 03-19-2011, 04:13 PM
Question Manufactured Homes

I've noticed when looking for pre-owned homes in The Villages, there are a lot of 'new' and 'glamorous' homes for sale, but also quite a few Mobile Homes. In American society Mobile Homes and Trailer Parks are generally considered housing for less educated and sophisticated people. Do people in The Villages consider Mobile Homes to be just that? Do the Villages containing Mobile Homes get any lesser attention to detail as the Villages containing stick built homes? I was just wondering as many of the Manufactured Homes for sale are more with-in my budget.

Thanks,

Stell
Old 03-19-2011, 04:26 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to eweissenbach

I have friends that live on the "historic side" in a manufactured home and they do everything, and enjoy the same priveleges as those living in Premier homes. They enjoy the more mature look of the older sections and the cost savings allowed them to move to TV without putting thier retirement in jeapardy. It seems to me from TOTV, and my experience in TV that there is little class envy or discrimination no matter where or in what type home you live. I personally am well beyond worrying about living in the "right" neighborhood, or having the nicest Mcmansion among my peers. Get what you can afford and what meets your needs and enjoy the lifestyle. JMHO
Old 03-19-2011, 05:15 PM
Default manufactured home

I bought a second manufactured home for a shop and storage. It is a way for me to get away on the golf cart and smoke cigars, eat pizza, and etc etc. I able to clean up and go home as a perfect husband.
PS I clean the place twice a year.
Old 03-19-2011, 05:54 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

One of the truly nice things about TV is that a home is a home a home regardless of what it is, where it is or how much it cost. I know of some on the Historic Side who could easily afford a premier home. They have no intention of ever moving. They love the old growth, their neighbors, Paradise Rec Center. The pluses of the manufactured homes is that the lots are bigger, the plants are fully established, you have a lot less restrictions (sometimes a plus, sometimes not). The minuses are no garages, some of the manufactured homes are so old they truly are falling apart. However, the value is definitely there and it will make no difference to the majority of TVers where you live. Bring a smile, an open hand, a willingness to play and you're in.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 03-19-2011, 07:23 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by eweissenbach View Post
I have friends that live on the "historic side" in a manufactured home and they do everything, and enjoy the same priveleges as those living in Premier homes. They enjoy the more mature look of the older sections and the cost savings allowed them to move to TV without putting thier retirement in jeapardy. It seems to me from TOTV, and my experience in TV that there is little class envy or discrimination no matter where or in what type home you live. I personally am well beyond worrying about living in the "right" neighborhood, or having the nicest Mcmansion among my peers. Get what you can afford and what meets your needs and enjoy the lifestyle. JMHO
I agree with every syllable of this post.
Old 03-19-2011, 08:29 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by eweissenbach View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I agree with every syllable of this post.
So do I.
Old 03-19-2011, 09:01 PM
Sage

My two brothers, Aunt and Uncle, and two Friday nite card playing friends live in the historic area - very friendly area, best CC pool, great landscape and trees, ok to put a flamingo or deer in your front yard, not uptight like newer areas.

Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Old 03-19-2011, 10:12 PM

My husband has said that in TV, a millionaire can be sitting at the bar of one of the country clubs having a drink right next to someone who may be financially challenged and strike up a conversation. Doesn't matter what kind of house you live in or where your house is in TV, most people are friendly and want to make new friends. But you have to make sure you buy a house you can afford, so that you can go to the bar for a drink! Welcome to TOTV.
Old 03-20-2011, 03:24 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaybee1 View Post
My husband has said that in TV, a millionaire can be sitting at the bar of one of the country clubs having a drink right next to someone who may be financially challenged and strike up a conversation. Doesn't matter what kind of house you live in or where your house is in TV, most people are friendly and want to make new friends. But you have to make sure you buy a house you can afford, so that you can go to the bar for a drink! Welcome to TOTV.

That's right. In TV nobody knows who has a dollar or who has a dime and we don't care!
Old 03-20-2011, 10:21 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post
One of the truly nice things about TV is that a home is a home a home regardless of what it is, where it is or how much it cost. I know of some on the Historic Side who could easily afford a premier home. They have no intention of ever moving. They love the old growth, their neighbors, Paradise Rec Center. The pluses of the manufactured homes is that the lots are bigger, the plants are fully established, you have a lot less restrictions (sometimes a plus, sometimes not). The minuses are no garages, some of the manufactured homes are so old they truly are falling apart. However, the value is definitely there and it will make no difference to the majority of TVers where you live. Bring a smile, an open hand, a willingness to play and you're in.
The age of the home alone shouldn't reflect it's condition. Most of the homes in the historic section were placed there around the same time. If a home is falling apart, it's not because of the age. It's because of a lack of maintanance. Many of the homes there are in excellent condition which shows pride in ownership.
Old 03-20-2011, 10:53 AM
Soaring Eagle member

My impression is that retirement mobile home living in a retirement community is not the same as a mobile home park where most are not retired. If the size of the home works for you I see no reason not to try it.
Old 03-20-2011, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry'sStella View Post
I've noticed when looking for pre-owned homes in The Villages, there are a lot of 'new' and 'glamorous' homes for sale, but also quite a few Mobile Homes. In American society Mobile Homes and Trailer Parks are generally considered housing for less educated and sophisticated people. Do people in The Villages consider Mobile Homes to be just that? Do the Villages containing Mobile Homes get any lesser attention to detail as the Villages containing stick built homes? I was just wondering as many of the Manufactured Homes for sale are more with-in my budget.

Thanks,

Stell

Anyone have any concerns about living in one when a storm hits?

aj
Old 03-20-2011, 07:30 PM
Sage

Insurance companies.

My brother pays 2 1/2 times more for insurance on his prefab home in the historic area than I do for our site built home. Our home cost 2 1/2 times more than his.

Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Old 03-20-2011, 09:04 PM

Well I guess The Villages really is 'Florida's Friendliest Hometown'!
Old 03-20-2011, 09:22 PM

I didn`t care what house we bought, I let my wife make the choice, I just wanted this great lifestyle.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.