Cats

Closed Thread
Old 11-08-2009, 04:08 PM
Default Cats

I have two cats of my own that stay indoors but does anyone know of an agency or individual(s) helping the wild & stray cats in the Villages? I was on Wedgewood Lane the other night behind the gas station and saw a couple of kittens crossing the road. I parked in the gas station near the car wash and there was an older cat walking along the building. I am assuming it might have been the mother. I bought two cans of cat food and left it there and the big cat and another came to eat. It was dark so I couldn't make out if the kittens got any. Back in Massachusetts there were agencies that would assist trapping/spaying & neutering and if feral, releasing back. Does anyone know of any program like that in the Villages? There are so many stray/wild cats running around something should be done to help them.

Animal Lover
Old 11-08-2009, 04:57 PM

We are walkers who are familiar with the cats behind the offices on Wedgewood. We met Villagers who trapped the kittens and "Mama" cat; they had the cat and kittens neutered and found homes for the kittens. They consulted with a Vet who told them "Mama" could make it o.k. trapping and foraging. We see "Mama from time to time on our walks. I don't know why "Mama" is still there.
Old 11-09-2009, 07:40 AM

sweetthang -

Thanks so much for that information. That makes me feel so much better!
Took a ride by last evening but didn't see the kittens. Saw the cat that I thought was the mother. Left some food but the cat ran into the woods.

Animal Lover
Old 04-08-2010, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetthang View Post
We are walkers who are familiar with the cats behind the offices on Wedgewood. We met Villagers who trapped the kittens and "Mama" cat; they had the cat and kittens neutered and found homes for the kittens. They consulted with a Vet who told them "Mama" could make it o.k. trapping and foraging. We see "Mama from time to time on our walks. I don't know why "Mama" is still there.

Many feral cats at Havana now. Two were limping. Some are gray striped and some are black and white. They are just going to keep multiplying unless someone can trap them, have them spayed/neutered and then release them back. Do you know who those Villagers are that trap and neutered those cats over on Wedgewood? Thanks.
Old 04-08-2010, 07:17 PM

I think Petco has a program for trapping cats and kittens. You might give them a call.
Old 04-10-2010, 07:08 PM
Veteran member

Did anyone find out who traps feral cats? There is a cute orange male hanging around my neighborhood just crying all the time. He has been around since a kitten and it would be nice if he could be neutered and placed on a farm or something. I hate to think that he would be put down if I called the wrong person. I would even pay for the neutering.
Old 04-11-2010, 02:38 PM
Platinum member

mfp:

You might call the Marion County Humane Society - not sure whether they'll come and pick up your stray, but I'll bet they've got some suggestions.

Don't call an Animal Control Office, as I'm pretty sure the cat'll be gone!

SWR
Old 04-11-2010, 05:42 PM
Veteran member

I have already talked to the Marion County Humane Society and they won't take it because not being tamed it is not adoptable. You are right about Animal Control that's why I won't call them. Oh how I wish I could work with this cat - he is adorable. I do have a couple of other places I will call.
Old 05-29-2010, 07:38 AM
Default Havana Feral Cats

Just had lunch at Havana and saw two or three feral cats there still. Did anyone identify a viable solution to helping these little ones?
Old 05-29-2010, 09:00 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

I agree with your concerns about the feral cats around. I really don't like to eat outside at Havana because of them. Not that I don't think they are appealing and not that there being there turns me off. It is just sad to know they cannot be adopted because they really can't be tamed. Our first cat when we were married was a wild kitten and she never, ever became tame and bit us and scratched us all of her days.

I would like to help with this problem when we live there full time. Trapping and having them neutered is the only thing I can think of.
Old 05-29-2010, 09:22 AM
Eternal Member

mfp: Try Pet Lovers Rescue, a non-profit group. Petco gave me their names.
I adopted my cat from them two years ago and hope they are still in business.
They work with them and, from what I understood, keep them in their homes and train before introducing them to you.

Barbara Irwin 753-2321 Cell: 598-1588
Carole Ferguson 259-7727

Keep us posted.
Good luck.

Rescuing one cat may not change the world, BUT for that one cat, the whole world will change.
Old 05-29-2010, 11:55 AM
Default Cata

There is a group in TV that takes in strays and neuter. I believe they work out at Pet Smart? The one near Target's plaza. You probably can get info there. Its a start.
Old 01-31-2011, 11:57 AM
Sage

I recently saw several feral kittens playing in the parking lot of the Shell Station on CR 466. It broke my heart.

Is there an organization that rents or lends live traps?
Old 01-31-2011, 08:08 PM
Soaring Eagle member

The woman taking care of the cats at Petsmart told me that they adopt out 8 to 10 cats weekly. This is an extremely high number and is unique to TV.
Old 01-31-2011, 08:44 PM
Veteran member

Yum - Cat, the other white meat.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.