May I pick your Brains...New Owner!

Closed Thread
Old 10-21-2018, 09:55 AM
Default May I pick your Brains...New Owner!

I am closing on a house and hope to get information from this forum rather than my agents. Here we go...I will be renting the place most of the year so should I get a golf cart and is there insurance that would cover my guests? Or would I really need a car? Are there private property managers other than what the Villages offers? What would you recommend for Utility companies,,,elec, gas, internet? Lawn service (small lawn), trash pick-up? I handn't thought about any of these decisions until now and I have to set them up in a week or so. Thanks!

Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.
Old 10-21-2018, 10:31 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,420 Times in 5,110 Posts

I would not get a golf cart for use by tenants. Too much liability.
Yes, there are other property managers, but no matter who you hire, you will probably not make much, if any, money by allowing your house to be totally managed by a management company.
I think the only choice you will have for utilities will be for cable tv and internet service. If you provide cable and internet to tenants, you need to shop around for the best deal.
And, again, don't expect to make money on a property that you don't manage yourself. The successful landlords in The Villages do their own management.
Old 10-21-2018, 10:49 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxelle44 View Post
I am closing on a house and hope to get information from this forum rather than my agents. Here we go...I will be renting the place most of the year so should I get a golf cart and is there insurance that would cover my guests? Or would I really need a car? Are there private property managers other than what the Villages offers? What would you recommend for Utility companies,,,elec, gas, internet? Lawn service (small lawn), trash pick-up? I handn't thought about any of these decisions until now and I have to set them up in a week or so. Thanks!
If it's like it was in 2011 when I purchased a new CYV, about 3 to 4 weeks before closing you'll receive a packet with all the companies listed and their contact number. For electric you'll have just the choice for your area. For example I live between 466 and 466A and SECO is our electric company. They are a co-op and we never lost power during Hurricane Irma, they're a great company and my bill on an all electric home is about $85 a month. Gas is only available in areas that were built before 2007, and I believe that company is TECO.

Telephone, TV, internet are about the only companies you can have a choice, and even that depends on where you live. Comcast, Century Link, Directv and Dish are available just about everywhere in TV, however you'll have Spectrum available south of 466A, it used to be called Brighthouse. If you want something simple for a tenant, I would go with Comcast.

As far as not owning a car, would you shop at Kohl's? They are not golf cart accessible. Neither is Orlando, Ocala, Tampa, etc. Plus, depending on if your home is centrally located or not, a golf cart trip for me to say, Lopez Country Club and golf course is a 50 minute cart ride each way, and I'm north of 466A. Remember TV, not counting Fenney and the newer areas, is about 35 square miles. Even if you can get there by cart, sometimes you'll wish you had an air conditioned car to get you there when it's above 90 degrees for about 5 months of the year.

Thrash pickup and water for drinking and irrigation and your amenity fee is all provided by TV and will come on one bill. Lawn service you'll have many choices. One of the best features of this website is the ability to search. When I moved here I had a legal pad filled with names of painters, handymen, landscapers, and etc and I got them all by searching this site, the button is at the top.
Old 10-21-2018, 11:18 AM

Thanks, good info to get started

Old 10-21-2018, 11:22 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,588 Times in 567 Posts

When we finally bought in 2010, we did not keep a car here, until 2015. Went to online enterprise rented a car far in advance for trip, usually about 3 or 4 days to go out of bubble. Rented a golf cart for rest. Never had a problem with having to store when we left. It’s not a big deal.

Renting go to thevillagers4rent, do it yourself. You will have many to pick from for high season, after that not so much, (companies will tell u they can rent every month, usually not true)
Better option, rent unfurnished for a year. We did that for years. No wear and tear on furniture, they pay utilities, you pay aminity fee, water and lawn.
When we came down, we just rented a home on the same sight.
Old 10-21-2018, 11:24 AM
Soaring Eagle member

This site might be of interest VH4R Home Rentals in The Villages
Old 10-21-2018, 12:34 PM

Yes! Thanks!

Old 10-21-2018, 12:35 PM

Thank you!

Old 10-21-2018, 02:23 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
You should use some discretion relying on any information you get from this forum.
Old 10-21-2018, 03:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,301 Times in 2,369 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelegges View Post
When we finally bought in 2010, we did not keep a car here, until 2015. Went to online enterprise rented a car far in advance for trip, usually about 3 or 4 days to go out of bubble. Rented a golf cart for rest. Never had a problem with having to store when we left. It’s not a big deal.

Renting go to thevillagers4rent, do it yourself. You will have many to pick from for high season, after that not so much, (companies will tell u they can rent every month, usually not true)
Better option, rent unfurnished for a year. We did that for years. No wear and tear on furniture, they pay utilities, you pay aminity fee, water and lawn.
When we came down, we just rented a home on the same sight.
Isn’t the OP buying a house and then renting it out? Huh?
Old 10-21-2018, 03:40 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
I help teach people how to manage their own properties so you can keep your own hard earned money. If you are somewhat computer literate and can text, I can help you.
Text me at Rae 920-265-8425

Sent from my SM-N920R4 using Tapatalk
Old 10-21-2018, 05:06 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,588 Times in 567 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Isn’t the OP buying a house and then renting it out? Huh?
Yes but if you are working and only can spend maybe 2 or 3 weeks a year, you are financially ahead by renting your home unfurnished full time, then your drive by visit can be done elsewhere. Plus you save the 10,000 plus on furnishings.
Old 10-21-2018, 05:13 PM
Sage

OP, in what village is your house? Some answers depend on your location.
Old 10-21-2018, 05:44 PM
Gold member

Best advise is, never pre pay a service contract and stay far away from Service Smart.

"I wish I didn't know now, what I didn't know then"
-Bob Seger-
Old 10-22-2018, 08:48 PM

Caroline

Closed Thread

Tags
lawn, companies, elec, utility, villages, property

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.