May Move To Villages

Closed Thread
Old 03-27-2013, 12:08 PM

We are contemplating moving to the Villages but as time gets closer, I am more and more hesitant. Economically, it's probably a better move. We live in CT, the " tax me to death" state and I think our money will go farther in Florida. I don't want to leave my family and my home. I love my kids and cant stand the thought of them being so far away. But I am afraid, financially, we won't survive here and this climate requires too much time and energy to maintain our home, especially as we grow older. The whole thought is just so scary and depressing.
Old 03-27-2013, 01:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginmato View Post
We are contemplating moving to the Villages but as time gets closer, I am more and more hesitant. Economically, it's probably a better move. We live in CT, the " tax me to death" state and I think our money will go farther in Florida. I don't want to leave my family and my home. I love my kids and cant stand the thought of them being so far away. But I am afraid, financially, we won't survive here and this climate requires too much time and energy to maintain our home, especially as we grow older. The whole thought is just so scary and depressing.
PLEASE DO NOT DO ANYTHING that can't be changed. Try renting for several months. It sounds like your heart and interests are NOT here. Downsize there and be happy.
Old 03-31-2013, 04:26 PM
Default we love the villages

Just moved down couple of months , very pleased. Everything you need a golf cart ride away.
Old 03-31-2013, 04:47 PM
Sage

Quote:
If you're concerned about your finances getting exhausted too soon in CT, this means you're more likely to become dependent on your kids financially and/or in housing etc. I consider it a blessing and a huge gift that both our sets of parents downsized and situated themselves so they would not become a "burden" on us. We don't consider it a "burden", but it's great to see them thinking past themselves and they're being selfless.

Of course we would help them if it comes to that. But we are thankful they realize we have our own lives and that we're finally free to travel and enjoy life now that we've finished paying for our kids' college etc.
Old 04-01-2013, 10:20 AM
Sage

Quote:
I'm sure you know that CT is the worst state to retire in. If you are near retirement, you want to consider downsizing if your main consideration is to be near your children.

Some people have moved to Florida for their retirement years and have their children, grandchildren visit more often then they did when the were closer. At some point, one must do whats best for themselves especially if financial stretched too thin.

I just sold my condo to move to TV as it is easier on my finances as well to enjoy a more active lifestyle.

Only you can answer that question. Best wishes.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 04-01-2013, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Hi from Washington DC

My wife & I are considering moving to the Villages. I welcome all the thoughts and ideas people can provide. I will read the 58 page book.
Mathguy, we are from Northern VA and did a lifestyle preview the latter part of August 2011 came home and put our house on the market and moved here Feb 2012. We paid $100 per day and stayed 8 nights. We were put up in a designer home near Lake Sumter Landing with golf cart and 2 bikes. Also got a coupon book with dining deals etc. We loved it. Don't worry about the summer heat. It isn't any worse than DC and NO bugs. You'll be too busy to even notice any heat! Welcome and come on down. Oh, as they say "bring your checkbook!"
Old 04-01-2013, 08:09 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Rent for a while to try it out. Take your time to make up your mind. You have plenty of time.
Old 04-02-2013, 06:41 AM
Location: natives of La Porte, IN, moved here from central IN to Santiago via Country Club Hills

From our experience, do a LSV, come down several times (several nice places to stay in TV and near by, we didn't have the time for a lengthly rental) and come at different seasons. If you decide to take the plunge get a Villages realtor along with an MLS realtor to expose yourselves to all of the pre-owned property available. This forum gives you a wealth of info to graze on in your spare time. We tried to do as much research as possible checking out "Leisureville" by Andrew Bleckman from our local library, a critical assessment with comparisons to other retirement communities, their forms of government and successes and failures. TV not for everyone, thank goodness. Best of Luck with your retirement plans whatever you do and where ever you go.
Old 04-02-2013, 07:24 AM
Location: Living in the Villages after 26 years on the Upper Westside of Manhattan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC and John View Post
Mathguy, we are from Northern VA and did a lifestyle preview the latter part of August 2011 came home and put our house on the market and moved here Feb 2012. We paid $100 per day and stayed 8 nights. We were put up in a designer home near Lake Sumter Landing with golf cart and 2 bikes. Also got a coupon book with dining deals etc. We loved it. Don't worry about the summer heat. It isn't any worse than DC and NO bugs. You'll be too busy to even notice any heat! Welcome and come on down. Oh, as they say "bring your checkbook!"
I suspected that the summer heat would not be much worse than summer in NYC either, but "no bugs", is that true? What accounts for that?

Sent from my KFJWI using Tapatalk 2
formerly of Manhattan and weekends on the Jersey Shore--now living the dream in Caroline!
Old 04-02-2013, 07:25 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbg150 View Post
I suspected that the summer heat would not be much worse than summer in NYC either, but "no bugs", is that true? What accounts for that?

Sent from my KFJWI using Tapatalk 2
They spray.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.