Moffitt Mania

Closed Thread
Old 01-26-2011, 05:33 PM
Default Moffitt Mania

Here's another slant on the Moffitt money crusade..
It's in the paper..That doesn't mean it's true though..

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/...1468200.column
Old 01-26-2011, 06:52 PM
Sage

Another thread started on this article earlier.

Still just thoughts from a Moffitt competitor. Can't put much stock in anything Bonefish says about Red Lobster.
Old 01-27-2011, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ_Boston View Post
Another thread started on this article earlier.

Still just thoughts from a Moffitt competitor. Can't put much stock in anything Bonefish says about Red Lobster.
I don't care a whole lot for either Bonefish or Red Lobster but as a Cancer Radiation Treatment survivor from the "competitor" I think you need a wake up call to understand that the same wonderful treatment to be offered in TV by Moffitt is already here in TV. Drive by Clemente Court and you will see it, just as Lauren Ritchie described it! A lot easier to be a doubting Thomas when you haven't had Radiation treatment to cure your cancer. I hope you don't have the opportunity for a first hand assessment of the services offered by either competitor!
Old 01-27-2011, 04:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,301 Times in 2,369 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigalibaba View Post
I don't care a whole lot for either Bonefish or Red Lobster but as a Cancer Radiation Treatment survivor from the "competitor" I think you need a wake up call to understand that the same wonderful treatment to be offered in TV by Moffitt is already here in TV. Drive by Clemente Court and you will see it, just as Lauren Ritchie described it! A lot easier to be a doubting Thomas when you haven't had Radiation treatment to cure your cancer. I hope you don't have the opportunity for a first hand assessment of the services offered by either competitor!
I guess thats why there is more than one doctor, hospital, landscaper, lawn service, mechanic, car dealership, etc. You pick the one you like and move on.
I's sure there are many other cancer survivors that were treated at other facilities and are as satisfied as you. I'm glad yours was a success and you are happy.
Old 01-27-2011, 04:39 PM
Sage

Quote:
I think you need a wake up call to understand that the same wonderful treatment to be offered in TV by Moffitt is already here in TV.
Who said it wasn't already here? That's the point I was trying to make.

Red Lobster knew that we already had a good fish chain but evaluated the business risk and went ahead with construction.

Target knew that Walmart was already here (maybe the other way around?) but they evaluated the business risk and went ahead with construction.

CFHA knew that a good radiation center existed but evluated the business risk and went ahead with the affliation.

Etc. Etc.

Not much more than supply vs demand at work. Maybe, just maybe, I'm not the one who needs to wake up to reality?

I hope you are well now.
Old 01-27-2011, 04:56 PM

Competition is wonderful. I have no complaints or problems with it. Gives me more choices which is fine by me.

But Red Lobster and Target and Wal-Mart and all the other businesses who evaluated the risk and decided to open in The Villages did not ask us to contribute money so they could open their business. We didn't have to give money to buy the tables and salt & pepper shakers at Red Lobster or the shelves and shopping carts at Target and Wal-Mart.

IMO, that's the big difference.
Old 01-27-2011, 05:04 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by English Ivy View Post
Competition is wonderful. I have no complaints or problems with it. Gives me more choices which is fine by me.

But Red Lobster and Target and Wal-Mart and all the other businesses who evaluated the risk and decided to open in The Villages did not ask us to contribute money so they could open their business. We didn't have to give money to buy the tables and salt & pepper shakers at Red Lobster or the shelves and shopping carts at Target and Wal-Mart.

That's correct and if this was some sort of tax I'd be up in arms. But we can educate ourselves and make up our own mind. So this discussion has value.
Old 01-27-2011, 05:13 PM
Default Moffitt mania

Quote:
Originally Posted by English Ivy View Post

Couldn't agree with you more on this one...
Old 01-27-2011, 05:29 PM
Veteran member

There's obviously something in this for Morse, or he wouldn't be "partnering" with the facility. The fact that he is using the Daily Sun as a means of "selling" the facility is annoying enough, but pulling on the emotional heartstrings of good hearted Villagers to get them to donate is distasteful to me. The Morse media machine is basically duping or trying to dupe the residents here by saying things like "when the Moffitt center opens in the Fall, the residents won't have to settle for second-rate or third-rate care". That just isn't true. We already have a good facility here, and in Leesburg. The new center is basically duplication. As Russ Boston pointed out, anyone who would like to make a donation is certainly welcome to. I just can't understand why people would want to donate the millions of dollars for the equipment, when as the Orlando Sentinel pointed out, the new facility will be able to recoup that money with a couple of years given that radiation centers like this are highly lucrative. It is laudable of residents to donate to non-profit causes, but in my opinion, there are many others that might be better candidates than this one.
Old 01-27-2011, 08:36 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

I have a few issues with contributing to Moffitt:

1. Why do we need a Moffitt in TV and in Leesburg? Sounds like a nice bit of advertising hype for TV, but can't think of any other reason.

2. That contributions to Moffitt are basically being forced on us -- from what I understand, any charitable event held in any TV property must give a portion of its proceeds to Moffitt, regardless of the cause. (Mind you, I have not been able to totally verify this, but I do know of a few events that have had to give at least 10% to Moffitt even though their event had nothing to do with cancer.)

3. If it's true that any funds not collected by contributions will be taken from the funds set aside for the hospital scheduled to be built by Brownwood, that just doesn't seem right to me.

4. The non-stop solicitations in the Daily Sun. I'm sick of having it shoved down my throat on a daily basis. If it's a such a good thing, it shouldn't need the non-stop hype.

5. My biggest disappointmen -- the taking away of the Walk of Like because the ACS wouldn't share the proceeds. This is an event that's truly important to the hearts of many Villagers. To force it to go out of TV is not just wrong, it is obscene IMO.

Okay, off this soapbox. I'm sick of Moffitt Center here, there and everywhere. I do not like Moffitt Center, Sam I am.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 01-27-2011, 09:00 PM
Cool I understand....now another question

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post
I have a few issues with contributing to Moffitt:

1. Why do we need a Moffitt in TV and in Leesburg? Sounds like a nice bit of advertising hype for TV, but can't think of any other reason.

2. That contributions to Moffitt are basically being forced on us .....To force it to go out of TV is not just wrong, it is obscene IMO.

Okay, off this soapbox. I'm sick of Moffitt Center here, there and everywhere. I do not like Moffitt Center, Sam I am.
I'm seeing more arguments against this that I understand and can agree with. What I have wondered all along is this:

To me, it stands to reason that, with Moffitt coming in with a comprehensive approach to all phases of cancer from diagnostics thru all treatment given, there will be far more oncology patients at TVRHospital and medical/surgical oncology practices....resulting in far more patients in need of radiation treatment here than Bouisanneault can accommodate in the time frame needed.

To me, it seems like the existing radiation practice has its limits as to how many patients it can treat at a given time, and with cancer, time is of the essence. I know a lot about that, from personal experience.

If the patients cannot get their treatments at the time needed because the practice and treatment schedules are full, the patients will have to go elsewhere. And that is what the entire Moffitt project in TV attempts to avert.
Old 01-27-2011, 09:05 PM

I hate that the Morse money machine is taking a cut out of my tickets to the Savannah Center for the Moffitt center. I hate that they stopped Relay for Life so the Moffett center could get more money. I hate being asked on Market night at the squares for a donation. ( Which my guest gave to...with no clue). I see this as being forced and bullied to make donations. I have spoken and I will not argue about it.
Old 01-27-2011, 09:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
I guess thats why there is more than one doctor, hospital, landscaper, lawn service, mechanic, car dealership, etc. You pick the one you like and move on.
I's sure there are many other cancer survivors that were treated at other facilities and are as satisfied as you. I'm glad yours was a success and you are happy.
I agree. And as a survivor myself, I still can't say that because I survived I got the BEST treatment available.

It worked for me. But I would want the very best for my Helene or my Sweetie. I would want an affiliation with a large teaching hospital. Which by the way is what I got in Cincinnati.

All cancers are not alike. Some are simpler to deal with than others. When it is YOU or someone you love dearly in the cross hairs, it is your choice and your obligation to get the BEST available. I like choices.

AND I am totally turned off by the way the radiation center is advertising themselves. It is at the least not behavior that I would expect from a top notch facility of medical care. THAT IS JUST MY REACTION to the newspaper advertisements.
Old 01-27-2011, 09:27 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Gracie, I agree that Moffit is a great center with some good concepts and whether TV gets one or not, there will be a Moffitt in Leesburg. Moffitt made that commitment before agreeing to come to TV. Sorry, I don't see the need for a Moffitt Center in Leesburg and here and certainly not at the risk of taking away from a hospital that is needed and most certainly not by taking money from other charities.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 01-27-2011, 09:36 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Default A very bad position !!!

Quote:
If you are trying to gather support for your position, you would do well not referring to LAUREN RITCHIE or the ORLANDO SENTINEL as they are looking out for only their own interest and could care less about yours.....
They have shown many times that if they can beat up on The Villages and its residents to make a story , they will do so.......... Stay neutral and make your own decisions...Don't follow a pied piper with a bad flute............
excuse me while I write that down .....

fluted fumar ....

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.