Moving Companies

Closed Thread
Old 05-11-2011, 02:47 PM
Default Moving Companies

First, I would like to say we have learned a great deal from TOTV over the last 10 months by just reading and listening. Thank You so much.
We have purchased a preowned in Mallory Square and closing May 20.

Now we need movers. Has anyone used or know of someone that used MOVERS ONE out of Ocala, FL? We are moving from the Daytona Beach area and they gave us a firm quote of $825. Also called Florida Family Movers and Village Movers...both quoted $100/hr for 2 men, but no approximate hours. We have a 2 bedroom heavy furnished. Saw their ad in the Daily Sun. We have no idea if the price is good. Can anyone help? Thanks
Old 05-11-2011, 05:02 PM
Gold member

$825? I would be over the moon for such a low cost. Our movers are tellilng us $11,000. Yes, $11,000. We are coming from NM though. I am trying to get rid of more stuff to lower the cost.
When hubby was there a few weeks ago, I hired 2 movers to help him unload a trailer full. It was $98 for two hours. These folks are out of Ocala and worth a call.....G adn G Moving. 407-276-2252. Good luck and have a safe move.
Old 05-11-2011, 06:03 PM
Soaring Eagle member

$100/hr for 2 men is going to cost a lot more than $825. You need some good references for Movers One and you should be good to go (easy for me to say)....gn
Old 05-11-2011, 07:51 PM
Default Movers

We used UNITED / SUBBATH andboy are we sorry... We had to put our things in storage for two weeks and then they lost some furniture, damaged furniture and lost items. NEVER AGAIN and as often as I can I will tell people not to use them. I kn ow some people may have a good experience with them but it was heartbreaking to loose some items that can never be replaced. Their reply was Sorry but things will happen.
Old 05-11-2011, 08:13 PM
Sage

Carol - In my opinion, the $825 would be a smokin' deal, especially if it's for all the contents of a house and they're moving you from Daytona Beach. Check references, BBB info, etc. to whatever extent makes you feel comfortable. Understand how they handle damaged or lost items from a claim/coverage standpoint in case something gets boogered up in the process of moving - some companies require you to pay extra for coverage above and beyond some minimum amount they include in the price. Get everything in writing up-front.

We paid $525 a couple of years ago for a small, local moving company to provide two fellows along with a truck to move only major furniture items from our previous house to our current place in OH. It consisted of the furniture contents of 3 bedrooms, some family room items, and the typical dining room things. No appliances, no televisions, no boxes, no clothes, and so on - just things Sandy and I would have been hard pressed to handle on our own. Total moving distance: 4 miles one way. They priced the job on a per-hour basis with an estimate of 4 to 5 hours. Took them 5. Given the great job they did and how careful they were with our stuff, I was tickled pink with the cost.

Again, for your situation, $825 sounds extremely reasonable if they do the job to your satisfaction. JMHO....

Bill
Old 05-11-2011, 09:59 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol K View Post
First, I would like to say we have learned a great deal from TOTV over the last 10 months by just reading and listening. Thank You so much.
We have purchased a preowned in Mallory Square and closing May 20.

Now we need movers. Has anyone used or know of someone that used MOVERS ONE out of Ocala, FL? We are moving from the Daytona Beach area and they gave us a firm quote of $825. Also called Florida Family Movers and Village Movers...both quoted $100/hr for 2 men, but no approximate hours. We have a 2 bedroom heavy furnished. Saw their ad in the Daily Sun. We have no idea if the price is good. Can anyone help? Thanks
Our daughter and her fiance used Helping Hand Moving Services in Ocala when she moved twice in a year and a half. The first move involved 2-3 men who helped unload a rental truck that they drove to Florida from Maine. The second move involved the men loading and unloading 2 straight trucks that were borrowed from her fiance's employer. The guys seemed concientious and worked steadily until the job was done on both ends of the move. I can't remember what this company charged but it seemed reasonable. It was by the hour, I do remember that.There was no packing involved so it was mostly loading and unloading the trucks. Here is the contact information in case you would like to call or e-mail them.

Helping Hand Moving Services
308 Oak Track Way
Ocala, FL 34472

Phone: (352) 502-1171
Daytime: (352) 261-1555
Evening: (352) ***-1016
helpinghandmovingservices@gmail.com

You are going to love it here!!
Old 05-12-2011, 03:53 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladydoc View Post
$825? I would be over the moon for such a low cost. Our movers are tellilng us $11,000. Yes, $11,000. We are coming from NM though. I am trying to get rid of more stuff to lower the cost.
When hubby was there a few weeks ago, I hired 2 movers to help him unload a trailer full. It was $98 for two hours. These folks are out of Ocala and worth a call.....G adn G Moving. 407-276-2252. Good luck and have a safe move.
We moved here from NM also. The TV Relocation office sent us two movers to give us quotes. Both seemed very high. We called Bekins because they were offering free house cleaning after all our stuff was hauled off. They came in almost $2,000 below the TV movers. No problems and nice not having to worry about the house cleaning.
Netherlands, California, Quebec, California, Texas, Turkey, Minnesota, Panama Canal, California, Illinois, Turkey, Maryland, Germany, Florida, New Mexico, The Village of Amelia and now The Village of Hacienda East.
Old 05-12-2011, 03:59 PM
Default Thanks for the Help

Thanks for the hints.

We know we will love The Villages. We stayed a month last July before deciding on our move and knew living in The Villages is what we wanted to do. Just took awhile to sell our home, but we made it
Old 05-12-2011, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol K View Post
Thanks for the hints.

We know we will love The Villages. We stayed a month last July before deciding on our move and knew living in The Villages is what we wanted to do. Just took awhile to sell our home, but we made it
Good luck with everything. Can't wait to join you, especially getting our house ready to sell and then sold!! Safe travels!
Old 12-12-2011, 03:14 PM
Veteran member

I was going to tell you to get some more estimates, since you have some time, but I see that you have some suggestions here.

As long as you have several estimates, it "keeps 'em honest," if you know what I mean.

Now, start asking whatever questions you might have, to make sure you're getting the best deal.
Old 12-12-2011, 09:28 PM
Default Guessing We Need a Different Mover

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankie1 View Post
We used UNITED / SUBBATH and boy are we sorry... We had to put our things in storage for two weeks and then they lost some furniture, damaged furniture and lost items. NEVER AGAIN and as often as I can I will tell people not to use them. I kn ow some people may have a good experience with them but it was heartbreaking to loose some items that can never be replaced. Their reply was Sorry but things will happen.
Hello frankie1, We are from Haymarket, VA and moving to TV in Feb. We were considering United/Subbath which was recommended to us by TV relocation office since we will need storage for 2-3 months while our house is built. Did you take out additional insurance on your load and did they pay up? Did you file a complaint with BBB and American Moving Association? I know it is heartbreaking to lose or damage things that can not be replaced. Sorry. Guess I will call the other 2 carriers on our list and have them come out and give us an estimate as well and their policies.
Old 12-17-2011, 03:42 PM
Smile Moving Company

Just used Bekins from NY.
Good price and excellent packing
and unloading. Placed what they could
in house. Next organized boxes in garage
for sane unpacking. Even had rows spaced
to use rest of the garage area.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.