Moving company recommendation from Long Island

Closed Thread
Old 07-20-2017, 02:21 PM
Default Moving company recommendation from Long Island

Does anyone have any recommendations on a moving company that would move from Long Island to TV? I don't think I want to go with PODs
Old 07-20-2017, 02:44 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by glomonac View Post
Does anyone have any recommendations on a moving company that would move from Long Island to TV? I don't think I want to go with PODs

Sell or give away everything except for 2 days of clothes and a few extra pair of socks. You won't regret it. Long Island will be a far distant memory in a few short months of being here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-20-2017, 03:21 PM
Gold member
Default We made exactly that move

Quote:
Since, my sister had worked for a mover, I knew at least some of the dirty secrets. We as you might got estimates from three movers. The SALESMAN walks around with his laptop computer and gives you an estimate. They do not CLEARLY TELL YOU that it is a non-binding estimate. His program will estimate the weight. BUT, if he UNDERESTIMATES the weight when it goes on the scale as it must several times on the trip-you may not have noticed turn offs that say weigh station but, they must weigh the load several times, he will give you a low FALSE ESTIMATE and you will get a surprise. There are TWO movers MAYFLOWER and UNITED VAN LINES-they are owned by the same company. Their salesmen will tell you they will over estimate the weight but you will get the money back based on the actual weight. We used Mayflower. You see the actual weight on the bill. The refund they give you is as I recall .13 a 100 pounds when they were charging .57 a 100 pounds. With that BULL they STOLE about $800 from us that I had to raise hell about. By the time I was finished the girl who tried to beat me on the LEGITIMATE insurance claim QUIT or got fired and I not only got back the $800 THEY STOLE but I have a signed letter from Mayflower corporate.

As to the .57 a 100 pounds. Not one mover told us there is something called THE TARIFF RATE. The tariff rate is what they have agreed to charge for the year-AND THEY ARE ALL THE SAME unless you are using Ken and his brother Lou or?

As we discovered later Mayflower and United Van Lines are the same company.

BE SURE to purchase full replacement insurance. If, I recall it was ?????? $500. You stuff will be on the truck with 2-3 other households. Stuff does get lost. Stuff does get broken. You, want to photograph everything as you put it in a box. If, they bust your..........you will need proof first that it was there and secondly that it wasn't broken.

You mentioned PODS we have no experience with that. We decided against that because it is perhaps far more work getting your stuff out of you former house and then getting it back into your new home.

CAUTION-do not tell your broker of the buyer where you are going. It is almost normal at closing for the buyer to pull CRAP. While the contract says the broker works for you in truth they work for themselves and will throw you to the wolves so long as they get their commission. The same is true or was true about our atty.

The buyer has the right to inspect your former home AFTER YOU HAVE REMOVED YOUR STUFF. You go to closing and they want you to cut the price, leave money in escro-is exactly the same thing YOU WILL NOT SEE THAT MONEY AGAIN. If, they know your stuff is on a movers truck and you have an appointment for arrival in Florida, YOU ARE IN A VERY POOR NEGOTIATING POSITION

Last edited by autumnspring; 07-21-2017 at 07:26 PM.
Old 07-20-2017, 03:42 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Moved here from Patchogue, LI in 2009. Sold 90% of our furniture and used PODS. Worked very well. We loaded it and told them when we wanted it here. Nothing was broken and the price was cheaper then movers. Would use them again not that I plan on moving though.
Old 07-20-2017, 04:45 PM

we moved from LI and had a pod full of memories , left or gave away everything else, it will cheaper to buy new then ship down things that do not fit or you won't want once you are living in your house for awhile .
Old 07-20-2017, 05:13 PM

We used a Company called South Hills Movers to move us from PA down to the Villages. Used them three other occasions and found them very reliable. Let me know if you need additional info.
Old 07-21-2017, 09:08 AM

Thank you all for the info. Seriously considering PODS now. Where do you find people to hire to unload?
Old 07-21-2017, 09:37 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Thank you all for the info. Seriously considering PODS now. Where do you find people to hire to unload?

Several in the "Daily Sun" Or search on this site.
Old 08-14-2017, 08:50 PM

I agree with selling or donating as much as you can prior to moving. I wish I had done that prior to moving from Las Vegas. As far as moving company recommendations, I used ABF Freight's Relo-cubes. They are like Pods but were half the price. Their service was phenomenal! I packed up my belongings and hired movers to load the cubes. I stayed with some friends when I first got to Florida so the cubes stayed in Vegas for five months (charged $105/cube/month). When I called them with the address of my new home on a Wednesday, they called me that Friday to let me know they had arrived in Florida and asked me when I'd like them delivered. I got them the next day and again had movers do the heavy lifting.
Old 08-15-2017, 06:54 AM

We also highly recommend PODs. Easiest move we have made. They have affiliated contractors to wrap, pack and load the POD and also contractors at the receiving end to unload. You can pick your own or use theirs. They will do an estimate on the size of PODs you will need. If they miss the mark they are responsive to provide additional PODs as needed. For us packers arrived on time and did very good job. Everything including pickup and delivery went exactly as planned. Have had a couple of negative experiences with the more traditional movers having to do with surprise charges, surprise needing cash or certified check payment at delivery and the guessing game as to when they are arriving.
Old 08-15-2017, 12:41 PM
Smile Moving too

We are moving to The Villages towards the end of September and received quotes from Mayflower and United. I never considered PODS and after a call to them, we will be using this company. We have also taken the advice to sell or donate most of what we have and that has helped significantly. The only issue has been concert grand piano, but even hiring professional piano movers, regular movers, and storage, PODS ended up being a third of the cost of the moving companies. We have to put our money towards a house that fits the piano so any savings can be a help LOL.
Closed Thread

Tags
moving, island, long, company, pods

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.