Moving Cost

Closed Thread
Old 10-29-2021, 09:09 PM
Default Moving Cost

We are moving to The Villages the end of January. We received a quote from Mayflower movers of $8k to move our 3 bedroom household from northern Virginia to TV. We plan on boxing everything ourselves except for the furniture.
I have always had employer paid moves and am not familiar with the inflated cost of everything now a days. Is this a reasonable estimate or should I get more quotes?
Old 10-29-2021, 09:46 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,178 Times in 834 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soon2B-Villager View Post
should I get more quotes?
yes
Old 10-29-2021, 10:21 PM
Sage

Moving costs are essentially a function of weight and distance. Get a couple of quotes and read the fine print regarding their estimate of the weight and how the final weight impacts the actual costs. Also, check the fine print on insurance.

Quote:
We are moving to The Villages the end of January. We received a quote from Mayflower movers of $8k to move our 3 bedroom household from northern Virginia to TV. We plan on boxing everything ourselves except for the furniture.
I have always had employer paid moves and am not familiar with the inflated cost of everything now a days. Is this a reasonable estimate or should I get more quotes?
Old 10-29-2021, 11:01 PM
Default I may have a good mover

Hi, I can sympathize with your situation, I have done a lot of research on movers and am having the same experience. I may have found a good mover. Send me your email address and I can possibly put you in touch with my mover. Cheers, Dylan Todd
Old 10-29-2021, 11:48 PM
Veteran member

FWIW, most people who move all their furniture down here regret doing so. They wish they had just sold or given away what they have and bought new things. This is partly because it costs so much to move heavy furniture but also because many people realize once they are here that their (usually dark and heavy) furniture from up north doesn't suit their new Florida home and lifestyle. Just something to think about.

Good luck with your move.

kathy
Old 10-30-2021, 01:14 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,702 Times in 5,237 Posts

More quotes won't help much. Get rid of most of your stuff and buy new stuff. I sold everything in my house and came here with just my clothes. It felt very refreshing to start over with no clutter. I think this is especially true if you are moving into a new house. Since you are boxing things yourself, consider renting a Pod for the things you want to keep.
Old 10-30-2021, 04:43 AM
Default Move advice

We too had always been part of corporate moves until our move from Charlotte to The Villages in April of this year. We brought most of our things - as getting furniture now is a crap shoot with supply chain issues. Expect to wait 6 months or more for new furniture - so leaving things behind is not a good strategy in 2021 and 2022. We paid about $8K for a two bedroom condo move from Charlotte NC, so $8k seems fair. I will tell you II had four movers quote the move and Mayflower was most expensive, so getting other quotes is advised. I ended up with a good local mover in Charlotte that does not charge by the pound and gave me a fixed quote for the move - they never increased it - so getting a fair deal is possible.
Old 10-30-2021, 04:52 AM
Default Another possibility.

[QUOTE=Soon2B-Villager;2023166]We are moving to The Villages the end of January. We received a quote from Mayflower movers of $8k to move our 3 bedroom household from northern Virginia to TV. We plan on boxing everything ourselves except for the furniture.

I hired local movers at both ends. Rented a large truck, son drove it and flew in/out to help. No losses, unknown timelines, forms to fill out, and about half the cost.

This doesn’t answer your question but, for me, it was simpler —and faster—to do it myself. Good luck and always always get quotes. Knowledge is power.
Old 10-30-2021, 04:53 AM
Default Moving

Quote:
Yes, always get at least three quotes, and find out if the company you finally choose can give you used boxes and wardrobe cartons for your packing need. These are usually free and will save you a boatload of money. Good luck with your move!
Old 10-30-2021, 04:57 AM

I used a POD and did it myself. It was cheaper than a moving company. You can hire muscle on both ends for items you can't lift. You will not need a lot of furniture you had up north. The second hand stores here are full of northern furniture folks end up not wanting after they move here. Decorating styles are different here.
Old 10-30-2021, 05:01 AM

Get rid of as much as you can. They charge by weight and a lot of dishonest companies will WAY underestimate weight so their quote looks good, but they’ll up charge you.

My son recently moved: got rid of almost all furniture but a bedroom set and a table and 4 chairs. Used U-Pack for transport, Moving Saffers on each end for load/unload. It was the cheapest-but you have to supervise. (Lots of people recommend PODS but my son found them to be high cost )

Last edited by nancymiller217@yahoo.com; 10-30-2021 at 05:20 AM.
Old 10-30-2021, 05:06 AM

Keep in mind that all movers face basically the same costs. The cost of labor to load, cost of insurance, gas, vehicle, etc. etc. Beware of the low price bid as the results often times can be disastrous. We paid considerably more to move a 4 bedroom house from Pittsburgh and I was comfortable knowing that the move would be done correctly and the people responsible knew what they were doing. There were no surprises. I do agree with those who said to think about getting rid of those dark heavy pieces before you move as they probably don’t lend themselves to your new surroundings. As we initially moved from Florida to Pittsburgh before moving back we didn’t have the dark fur issue. That said we still moved too much stuff back.
Old 10-30-2021, 05:09 AM
Veteran member

The quick answer is yes, but as you read through these posts most people will tell you to throw everything out or give it to charity. The only thing is you should keep our financial papers old pictures and mementos, if there is some furniture of historic importance and you may want to keep it. Most people regret taking their furniture as it's much easier just to buy new and we'll go with your Florida lifestyle better. Maybe I would take a piano or something of reminding you of parents etc. We took my parents standing room set* which I love , a small linen hutch from Russia and a chandelier and upright piano
Our dishes and silverware and two pieces of luggage packed with clothes. You don't need winter coats, lawn mowers, but if you have tools that you want I would send those UPS. Good luck
Old 10-30-2021, 05:11 AM
Default 2020 Move

Moved from Houston to Michigan and paid $7K but included packing. Trust me after 14 moves let them pack.
Old 10-30-2021, 05:18 AM

First, welcome to The Villages.
Yes I would get a few quotes if you really want your furniture.
For my wife and I we came down with one uhaual pod and a suv full of essentials no furniture. This is a new adventure on life’s journey so we used the money saved on movers and put it towards all new furniture.
Closed Thread

Tags
moving, cost, received, inflated, employer

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.