Moving into TV in early September .. looking for some opinions

Closed Thread
Old 08-07-2021, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerriS View Post
Hi all, bought my house this week in Citrus Grove and will be closing and moving into the house in early September. I have a few questions and am looking for opinions. I am sure I will come up with others but...

1. Need to buy a washer/dryer and looks like the house has hookup for both electric and gas.. any opinions on which I should get and why?

2. Looks like for Internet I have Xfinity or Spectrum as options. Opinions on which to get and why? I work from home and need good speeds and reliable service.

Thanks in advance and I can't wait to move into my new home.
Washer and dryer will cost you about 20% more than 1-2 years ago.

Spectrum service in the last 2 years had been a nightmare and the speeds they quote aren’t even close. Both of them charge you for a full month even if you only have a partial month. They charge 100- to have service and TV prewired for Xfinity so the box will have to have service changed over. They are both awful however they are a monopoly here and other than streaming you have little choice. You either get 30 channels for 200 with most of them duplicates. I moved here in 2019- cost was $127- for 1 TV, in June of 2021 it was 225-my service broke down 8 times replaced hardware 3 times and remote 6 times. Now if you want then you do the install to your TV they walk you through it. I had them up north it was fine down here just awful and I’m so excited to leave and dump them in a few weeks. Forced to go to a UPS to return the hardware. Never sign a contract you don’t get a better rate
Old 08-07-2021, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
Spectrum, had them for years...........no internet issues.

Contractor cut the cable, Spectrum was out that day.
Depends on where you live. If you’re south of 44 that’s not the experience
Old 08-07-2021, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Thanks I LOVE my car thinking about upgrading to a convertible if I could get one in the same color... didn't think I would like it but LOVE it.

Yeah I was looking into them and Xfinity I can get a local TV changes + a few for like $10 a month (I stream but live channels are nice once in awhile) they have a 1.2 GB cap which SHOULD be okay but you never know. Spectrum has unlimited data which is nice... will likely go with Spectrum I really wanted Centurylink but not available at address..... hopefully will be available later at address
You will regret it.
Old 08-07-2021, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Hi all, bought my house this week in Citrus Grove and will be closing and moving into the house in early September. I have a few questions and am looking for opinions. I am sure I will come up with others but...

1. Need to buy a washer/dryer and looks like the house has hookup for both electric and gas.. any opinions on which I should get and why?

2. Looks like for Internet I have Xfinity or Spectrum as options. Opinions on which to get and why? I work from home and need good speeds and reliable service.

Make sure you get the proper width of the washer & dryer. Usually, lawndry room has limited space to place these machines
Old 08-07-2021, 08:23 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,193 Times in 761 Posts

You now have the option of getting Verizon or T- Mobile for internet, they use wireless connections now in the Villages....
Old 08-07-2021, 08:38 AM

Welcome.

We have not seen any new pre-built homes in the Villages set up for both gas and electric dryers. Are you certain about that?

We have never had anything but gas dryers in all of our (8) homes. Our new place in St Catherine is gas for the dryer and range and hot water, and that is fine with us. Gas dryers do typically cost about $100 more than electric, but are usually less expensive to operate.

With respect to the post about safety of electric-only service, I guess that they never read of accidental electrocution of anyone or house fires from electrical short circuits or circuit overloading or from electrical appliances. Either gas or electric has some real but very small risk. Choosing between gas and electric is just not a big issue for us. Choose what you are most comfortable with. Personally, we would not go to the expense of installing a 240V outlet for an electric dryer, but others obviously feel differently.

As for cable, we have Comcast in the Villages and in our Condo in a Chicago suburb. It works for us. When we are away from one location for extended periods we can opt for a reduced service plan at that location that is very reasonable cost-wise. Do not know whether Spectrum offers that option or whether it is important to you. Occasionally Comcast has been a pain from a service standpoint, but it has not been frequent, and I doubt that any cable provider is completely trouble-free.

In the big picture, these are good issues to have. You are moving to a great place, you have good choices available to you. Enjoy!
Old 08-07-2021, 08:39 AM

Quote:

Surprised no washer/dryer came with the house. No real recommendation on that. As far as internet, we use Spectrum. Great first time customer promotions. Also, they do not tack on taxes, fees, etc like the others do. Have had them a number of years and they’ve proven to be very reliable.
Old 08-07-2021, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Not 100% sure but I thought they said could do either. Will have to find out for sure. I close 9/8 so I have time to find out
Yes, double check on the electric dryer issue. We’ve been told they only have gas deyer hook ups in Citrus Grove and that’s what ours is.
Old 08-07-2021, 08:47 AM

We used Appliance Direct in Fruitland Park to buy our Maytag washer and dryer which was priced better there than any other places. The place doesn’t look like much, but the products are the same and we saved about $150. We use high speed Xfinity for internet which for the most part has worked out well and was $50 a month for one year. Good luck with your move and welcome to TV 😊
Old 08-07-2021, 09:00 AM
Default Comcast in Sumter is excellent

Quote:

We are snowbirds. We have comcast both in Massachusetts and in the villages. Comcast up north is both expensive and unreliable. We were paying $254/month for internet and TV. We cancelled the TV and went with a streaming service but we are still paying $110 for internet only. Down south the service is awesome and reasonably priced. We pay $139 for both internet and TV. The TV reception is true HD. The internet is fast and reliable.
Old 08-07-2021, 10:01 AM

I live in a village adjacent to yours and all houses here have gas hot water, ranges and dryer hookups, no choice of electric. The electric connection is for the washer. So I would double check your dryer connection it might be gas only.
Old 08-07-2021, 10:28 AM

all i have to say is stay away from the villages we just closed on a new home and the closing was so bad we will have to sue
Old 08-07-2021, 11:12 AM
Veteran member

Quote:

We like natural gas: faster and MUCH cheaper to operate. Gas appliances include range, water heater, clothes dryer, and home heating for those rare times it's needed. Without heating, our monthly gas bill varies $18-21. Our (pre-owned) home came with all gas appliances, but there are 220 outlets behind the dryer and the range for those who prefer electric. As a concession to gas, we did have A-1 Lighting Protection (we highly recommend them) install a lightning-abatement setup; it was relatively inexpensive and gives us peace of mind, knowing the gas lines run in the attic.

As far as Internet access is concerned, we heard so many horror stories mainly about Comcast but Spectrum as well. Also, we don't subscribe to any commercial television (cable or satellite), so our choices were more limited. We have DSL through CenturyLink, which meets our needs well and virtually never has an issue. I no longer work at home, so we don't need ultra-fast service. It's been my experience that when I ask to piece together a 'bundle,' they ALWAYS assume it's television plus whatever else. They cannot grasp anyone with no television (a topic for another day...), but our bundle is phone service and Internet access. Works fine for us.

Back when our homes were built, they included all appliances (range, refrigerator, washer, dryer—and gas were typically used—but the choice for electric was, as mentioned, available. Homes also came with ceiling fans and window blinds throughout the house. We haven't seen any of the newer homes, but we understand these amenities are no longer included. Is this correct? Thank you.
Old 08-07-2021, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quixote View Post

Back when our homes were built, they included all appliances (range, refrigerator, washer, dryer—and gas were typically used—but the choice for electric was, as mentioned, available. Homes also came with ceiling fans and window blinds throughout the house. We haven't seen any of the newer homes, but we understand these amenities are no longer included. Is this correct? Thank you.
I'm closing on my new home in 3 weeks. Everything you list except the washer and dryer are included. I'm having trouble finding the washer and dryer that I want.
Old 08-07-2021, 12:53 PM
Platinum member
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicTrucker View Post
I too had a very bad experience with Comcast before Verizon installed Fios in my Virginia neighborhood. I was very wary of using them again, but so far the experience down here has been very positive.
Welcome to TV Terri.

We had Verizon FIOS in Virginia as well and loved it. Wish they had it here.
Closed Thread

Tags
opinions, house, moving, home, september

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.