Moving from Pa. to TV, suggestions??

Closed Thread
Old 01-03-2011, 09:42 PM
Location: Johnstown, Pa. - Ebensburg, Pa. - Village of Sanibel
Smile Moving from Pa. to TV, suggestions??

Can anyone give us an estimate on what is would cost to move from Pa. ( 65 miles east of Pittsburgh) to TV? We are not interest in a "pod". We are looking for a company that would be responsible for damages. We would have everything ready to go.
Old 01-04-2011, 07:25 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Moving

First Congrats. When we moved we looked at a few movers and opted for the POD. We took out the insurance on the contents. I loaded and tied things down extra tight. I added extra tie downs as I went along. Nothing broke . Only 1 item moved but NOTHING broke.That was Aug. 2009 just looked up the bill it was just under 2k from Patchogue, L.I. Good luck and hurry up the great weather is coming. Just got back from up there. Believe me hurry!
Old 01-04-2011, 08:05 AM
Veteran member

I also moved in August 2009. I used a long-distance mover based in Florida. I did all the box packing. From NY (Westchester County) the bill was just over $2K, but that included a month's storage because my house wasn't ready yet
Old 01-04-2011, 09:10 AM

Congrats on making the move!
I'm not clear on whether you are looking for labor to pack and unpack included, if temp storage is needed, if you are driving, etc. What time of year and where the most trucks are also plays into the price. Figure out different scenarios and call various companies for quotes.
We initially arranged for "Less than Load" with a company called Move-Ex months in advance of the actual move date, paid a down payment, kept in contact with them, did all the packing and hired laborers on both ends to do the labor (duh). 2 days before we were ready for the big move we contacted the company again for the actual time they were to arrive and lo and be bummed we were informed no truck was coming! Quick scurring around and ABF came to the rescue for about the same price (other than we had twice as much as we had estimated, so twice our initial plan) and it all worked very well for us. We rented a storage unit here for a month until closing was settled and here we are, happy little campers!
If you have specific questions, let me know. Best of luck and may the move go smoothly!
Old 01-04-2011, 11:28 AM
Send a message via Yahoo to BlueHeronFan
Default might help, might not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoomie1955 View Post
Can anyone give us an estimate on what is would cost to move from Pa. ( 65 miles east of Pittsburgh) to TV? We are not interest in a "pod". We are looking for a company that would be responsible for damages. We would have everything ready to go.
We Moved from the South Hills area about a year ago. Used Mayflower Moving and also stored our items for 4 months. Seemed professional enough when moving from......But when the truck arrived it had 6 families items on one truck, and it was squeezed everywhich way but right. Arrows pointing this way only were ignored etc.

One minor breaking, but after sorting through everything, and checking off the inventory as they delivered, found that 2 kitchen items boxes were missing. Called, they searched for them, but no luck.

It's the bad part of moving to The Villages, but once here, the settle part is great.
Old 01-04-2011, 11:29 AM
Send a message via Yahoo to BlueHeronFan

Oh, and btw. The cost will be determined by the weight etc. Different for everybody.
Old 01-04-2011, 11:44 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to eweissenbach

I had complete moving packages for seven moves with my companies, including packing/boxing, loading, moving, and unloading with storage on one of the moves. I don't remember the costs - the longest was from Springfield Missouri to Fargo North Dakota. What I do know is the price was about 1/2 of the "retail" price, so they definitely have some wiggle room for negotioation. Get some bids and then negotiate them down.
Old 01-04-2011, 12:53 PM
Soaring Eagle member

My daughter move between the states a few years ago. About $2,000. She did all packing. Problem is she has moved a few times and the estimates are all over the place. You have to work pretty hard at finding a company at a reasonable price. For example the quotes were about 5,000 to move (same stuff) from Pa to Washington DC, under 200 miles. She rented a truck and did it herself. I have not used a Pod but I will look at it for my move. I will probably load it myself (with the help of my friends) over a week or two and hire some one in TV unload. Might consider that option.
Old 01-05-2011, 10:48 PM
Location: Johnstown, Pa. - Ebensburg, Pa. - Village of Sanibel
Default thanks for all the replies

You gave us food for thought!!! Thanks everyone for all the suggestions and your experiences. Wish us luck!!!!!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.