Moving From Place to Place

Closed Thread
Old 12-12-2010, 10:03 PM
Default Moving From Place to Place

I see many members list many many places in which they once lived as though it were a badge of honor. I was happy living in a few places for years and years - becoming part of each community. I am just wondering if those that list a handfull (or more) of former residences were just passing through, have a serious Travellin Jones, couldn't make friends or were run out of town. Now, before you get started, I know that the military moves people. My family faced that problem as well. We moved from base to base - many times within the same city - Jacksonville, FL. Just curious.
Old 12-12-2010, 11:30 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Frankly, I resent your comment about the "badge of honor" and your implications that those who moved a lot were somehow of a lesser character. You make it seem as loving to travel and move is wrong because it was not your choice. I think that those who stay in one area and are happy with that choice are to be admired -- they have a sense of community and a strong sense of who they are and where they are from. I also believe that those who traveled a lot, whether by choice or because of job requirements or because they were "run out of town" for some reason are also to be admired. Moving is not easy, not as a child nor as an adult. It takes courage and strength to move a lot, even if you have a very strong sense of wanderlust.

I hated leaving friends when I had to move. I also loved meeting new people, learning new cultures, growing in ways I never could have had my family stayed in one place as a child. I happily re-visited those places as an adult. I chose to raise my daughter in one area for her childhood. Her personality was not mine and I thought changing schools would have been far too difficult for her. Had she not entered my life, I'm sure I would have moved several times in my adult life.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 12-12-2010, 11:44 PM

We also have a lot of retired military living in the Villages
Old 12-13-2010, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post
Frankly, I resent your comment about the "badge of honor" and your implications that those who moved a lot were somehow of a lesser character. You make it seem as loving to travel and move is wrong because it was not your choice. I think that those who stay in one area and are happy with that choice are to be admired -- they have a sense of community and a strong sense of who they are and where they are from. I also believe that those who traveled a lot, whether by choice or because of job requirements or because they were "run out of town" for some reason are also to be admired. Moving is not easy, not as a child nor as an adult. It takes courage and strength to move a lot, even if you have a very strong sense of wanderlust.

I hated leaving friends when I had to move. I also loved meeting new people, learning new cultures, growing in ways I never could have had my family stayed in one place as a child. I happily re-visited those places as an adult. I chose to raise my daughter in one area for her childhood. Her personality was not mine and I thought changing schools would have been far too difficult for her. Had she not entered my life, I'm sure I would have moved several times in my adult life.

N. Reading, MA; Hampstead, NH; last stop SummerChase Cottages,TV!
Old 12-13-2010, 12:07 AM
Gold member
Location: Chicago, Des Moines, St Louis, Fort Wayne -TV Wannabe
Default here is maybe another thought

I think I would list the places I have lived to try to make a common connection to those that have also lived there. You never know...it is a small world after all
Old 12-13-2010, 05:30 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

By listing those places you lived, you meet others who have lived there as well and identify common names, places and other things. I worked for (I)ve (B)een (M)oved for 30 years so lived in many different places. Then took a job with a global company and got to travel the world. So not listing as a badge of honor, but a way to meet and make common connections with others.
Old 12-13-2010, 07:23 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

We weren't moved as often as other long time friends with International Truck and Engine company, but wearing their grey flannel suit also meant moving around the country and world a lot. There were a LOT of "corporate gypsys" for a long time in this country. We have had an unusual experience with them staying in one place for 40 years.

My Sweetie has worked for International a total of fifty years, including after he retired being rehired as a consultant. He is still working. I really like being in one place, but moving around is a huge learning experience and requires a lot of coping skills.

You go where the work goes. You learn to adapt. You just bloom where you're planted.

Last edited by graciegirl; 12-13-2010 at 07:37 AM.
Old 12-13-2010, 07:44 AM

I moved to where work and oppportunity allowed me to improve upon my family's life-style.....and only got ran out of town once.

Brooklyn, NY
Margate, FL
Gillette, WY
Cape Cod (Brewster), MA
Coral Springs, FL
Pittsburgh, PA
Boynton Beach, FL
Pennecamp 10/29/10
Old 12-13-2010, 08:49 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Stevens View Post
I see many members list many many places in which they once lived as though it were a badge of honor. I was happy living in a few places for years and years - becoming part of each community. I am just wondering if those that list a handfull (or more) of former residences were just passing through, have a serious Travellin Jones, couldn't make friends or were run out of town. Now, before you get started, I know that the military moves people. My family faced that problem as well. We moved from base to base - many times within the same city - Jacksonville, FL. Just curious.

I see you do not show it as a badge of honor
Old 12-13-2010, 01:58 PM

I think if my husband wouldn't have had such a good job we would have moved some where warmer a long time ago
Old 12-13-2010, 03:03 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Village of El Cortez. Before: Canada, NY, VA, AL, AK, NV, DE & France, Germany

When we joined the TOTV forum, we noticed other people had listed previous locations they had lived. That's what gave us the idea to list places we have lived. We assumed that people list their previous homes because people who move to The Villages have come from all parts of the world, and we are all trying to make new friends. Having something in common is one way to meet new friends.

So instead of looking for ulterior motives in others, why not join the crowd and list the places you've lived (even if it is only one or two)? Perhaps you'll meet someone from your hometown.
Old 12-13-2010, 06:42 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Stevens View Post
I see many members list many many places in which they once lived as though it were a badge of honor. ...
Guess I fit the bill. My many moves were both as a child and later with my husband in the military. I already found Johnny M, a former TOTVer, who went to my high school, and KathieI from the Bronx. Other people have PMed me about other places we have in common. That's not so bad, is it?

BTW, we have now lived in Syracuse for almost 35 years and I too love living in one place. Even if I do bad mouth it as Sybericuse, I do love the city. Of course I love TV just as much. My motto is love the one you're with.

Also: Wheeling, WV * Youngstown, OH* Niles, OH * Oshkosh, WI * Ft. Worth, TX * Da Bronx * Marathon, NY * Bricktown, NJ * Newark, DE * San Antonio, TX * Washington, DC * Tacoma, WA
Old 12-13-2010, 07:21 PM
Sage

I could just say "Central OH" and sufficiently cover all the places I've lived - all within about a 25 mile radius. Sandy was born in and stayed in southern IN for a few years before her mom moved their family to Columbus. Needless to say, we're not real well-traveled as far as residences go! But we've kinda liked it that way.

Buying a home in TV for occasional getaways is really stepping outside the box for us!

Bill
Old 12-14-2010, 12:20 PM

Thanks for all the replies. Only one mean spirited one. Tha's pretty good. It's interesting to see all of the different thought processes and how folks arrive in a place.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.