My dilema--Rent, co-own or?

Closed Thread
Old 10-09-2019, 08:19 PM
Question My dilema--Rent, co-own or?

Newbie here--Recently visited TV and liked what we saw.
Grandchildren live in multiple locations so our situation would probably be to live in TV part-time and live near family part-time.
So my dilema is:
Purchase and rent out the time we're not there. We would probaly
live in TV 5-6 months but no more than 2 months at a time.
Or are there any co-owned houses in TV where the owners share the time and thus avoid the hassles of renting
If there is another idea out there I'd welcome it also
Thanks in advance for any replies
Old 10-09-2019, 09:00 PM
Veteran member
Location: The Villages - Formerly Atlanta Endicott and Syracuse NY
Default part time

be happy to rent you a great designer for april may in a desirable location
Old 10-09-2019, 09:54 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Depends on when you want to live here. You might want to rent for the two months at a time until you are sure of future plans. If you avoid high season, renting is reasonable
Old 10-10-2019, 04:16 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,355 Times in 2,508 Posts

Wife and I have been renting in TV for 20+ years.
We looked into owning real hard, and came to the conclusion, that paying for the upkeep, taxes, fees etc on two houses was a financial non starter.
Renting monthly in the 'off' season is real cheap, and in the high season, reasonable, considering the facilities.
We are definitely in front financialy, but if we were allowed to stay in US for more than 6 months, we would purchase in TV, and rent in UK in reverse to our present arrangement.

Just my inane opinion!
Old 10-10-2019, 05:27 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,754 Times in 3,629 Posts

Rent for a couple months and decide where you want to live.

If you rent for 5-6 months per year (during season), you in effect paid for a house for a year. And you have lost market value appreciation.

Good Luck.
Old 10-10-2019, 05:41 AM
Veteran member

When I made two lists on the costs of renting vs owning it was equal. I bought and made a nice profit on the house I bought in Pine Ridge the 30 months I owned it. Now an owner in Marsh Bend. On average homes appreciate 6%, 1% more than the average.
Old 10-10-2019, 06:02 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northerner52 View Post
When I made two lists on the costs of renting vs owning it was equal. I bought and made a nice profit on the house I bought in Pine Ridge the 30 months I owned it. Now an owner in Marsh Bend. On average homes appreciate 6%, 1% more than the average.

In our neighborhood, Zillow pricing has been very close to reality. (as a reference point for review) Neighbor homes have been selling with over 10% appreciation per year for the last six years.

Past does not predict future.
Old 10-10-2019, 06:13 AM
Gold member
Send a message via AIM to rjn5656

go online and see if there are any opportunities for house sitting. usually you have to watch someones dog or cat while they travel
Old 10-10-2019, 06:39 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcraycraft View Post
Newbie here--Recently visited TV and liked what we saw.
Grandchildren live in multiple locations so our situation would probably be to live in TV part-time and live near family part-time.
So my dilema is:
Purchase and rent out the time we're not there. We would probaly
live in TV 5-6 months but no more than 2 months at a time.
Or are there any co-owned houses in TV where the owners share the time and thus avoid the hassles of renting
If there is another idea out there I'd welcome it also
Thanks in advance for any replies
Eschew complicated entanglements(co-Ownership). It is fraught with problems. Don't buy until you know TV better. Rent for several periods over a year or two.
Find out what , where you like to be and style of home that really fits your family. Really no reason to rush.
Old 10-10-2019, 07:29 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,107 Times in 1,339 Posts

I rented 1st. Then I found a nice, affordable home in a nice neighborhood. Come and go as I please. All of my things (golf carts and clubs, tennis and pickleball paddles, cloths, etc.) are here ready to use with a short flight. Great for friends and family to come visit. My grandchildren keep their "village things" w/me. My own private family resort. The cost for me for the whole year is about the same as renting Jan./Feb. months and it is all mine!
Old 10-10-2019, 07:39 AM

Please close this thread
Old 10-10-2019, 07:49 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcraycraft View Post
Please close this thread

Old 10-10-2019, 08:40 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,035 Times in 2,730 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Kid View Post
I rented 1st. Then I found a nice, affordable home in a nice neighborhood. Come and go as I please. All of my things (golf carts and clubs, tennis and pickleball paddles, cloths, etc.) are here ready to use with a short flight. Great for friends and family to come visit. My grandchildren keep their "village things" w/me. My own private family resort. The cost for me for the whole year is about the same as renting Jan./Feb. months and it is all mine!
Agree with the above post. Cost of renting during busy season at least as much as cost of owning and it's great to have your own place, with your own stuff there, kept the way you like it, with the ability to come and go as you please. Before buying we rented several times during the shoulder seasons and determined where we wanted to live and what to look for in a property. I haven't heard of people co-owning, but sounds way to complicated and too many potential issues. I am pretty sure that only two deeded homeowners are allowed to have resident ID's, which can be temporarily turned in, for a fee, so that renters of the property can get the use of the resident ID's.
Old 10-10-2019, 09:26 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to eweissenbach

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
Agree with the above post. Cost of renting during busy season at least as much as cost of owning and it's great to have your own place, with your own stuff there, kept the way you like it, with the ability to come and go as you please. Before buying we rented several times during the shoulder seasons and determined where we wanted to live and what to look for in a property. I haven't heard of people co-owning, but sounds way to complicated and too many potential issues. I am pretty sure that only two deeded homeowners are allowed to have resident ID's, which can be temporarily turned in, for a fee, so that renters of the property can get the use of the resident ID's.
We rented for five years with another couple who have been longtime friends. In that time we never had a contentious disagreement and enjoyed doing things together, he and I golf and pickleball, the ladies Zumba and yoga. We looked at homes during that time to buy as co-owners. We checked with TV and were assured that up to four owners on the title would qualify for resident IDs. The complications would be primarily in the case of a death, or a change of mind by one of the couples. This could be addressed with a legal buy-sell agreement, specifying the terms under which those complications would be addressed. (I am a CLU/ChFC with 25 years in financial services) We ultimately decided to buy individually and currently own homes in Sanibel, about three blocks from one another. If you can be relatively certain you can get along extremely well with the other party, co-ownership can offer some advantages - sharing the cost of buying - sharing the costs of maintenance - sharing the taxes, utilities, amenity fees etc.
Old 10-10-2019, 11:17 AM
Soaring Eagle member

This site might be of interest VH4R Home Rentals in The Villages

I would start out renting.

I would not want the problems of being a landlord espically in a house I was going to live in part time.
Closed Thread

Tags
live, time, months, part-time, advance

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.