Neighborhood opions?

Closed Thread
Old 02-18-2018, 04:34 PM
Default Neighborhood opions?

First, I apologize in advance, for this thread. I joined TOTV only a few months ago, but I have been overwhelmed(and impressed) with all the info and advice provided here. We are visiting TV for a week next month, in advance of retiring in early fall and returning. Definitely taking the advice to rent, while we look around. But with the enormity of TV areas and neighborhoods, I was hoping for some advice, to allow us to narrow our focus on a smaller group(s)? I did note a few threads on recommended areas, but I also recall one thread(gent?) that posted his opinion on some neighborhoods he did not recommend(for various reason), and I cannot find it? I don't want to offend anyone by asking for folks to make overt disparaging remarks, so I would accept any private msgs on same, as well? Regardless, this forum is an outstanding service. Thank you in advance, New Englander(soon to be TV).
Old 02-18-2018, 04:42 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Almost everyone thinks their village is the best, unless they brought their unhappiness with them.

Some people enjoy being with NEW arrivals here so they can all start together and it is true that New Villages have a lot more activities and gatherings at first.

There are those who are seeking the younger part of the population to hang out with. They aren't really any particular place nor are singles.

Decide whether you want a new home or a used one. They are about the same price. Decide what size home you want and how much money you want to spend on it.

It is really hard to make a serious mistake. And if you do, you can easily sell the home and move closer to friends, groceries, doctors, ...but wait...almost everywhere is close to that.

Welcome. You will surprise most of us if you don't love it here.
Old 02-18-2018, 04:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EviesGP View Post
First, I apologize in advance, for this thread. I joined TOTV only a few months ago, but I have been overwhelmed(and impressed) with all the info and advice provided here. We are visiting TV for a week next month, in advance of retiring in early fall and returning. Definitely taking the advice to rent, while we look around. But with the enormity of TV areas and neighborhoods, I was hoping for some advice, to allow us to narrow our focus on a smaller group(s)? I did note a few threads on recommended areas, but I also recall one thread(gent?) that posted his opinion on some neighborhoods he did not recommend(for various reason), and I cannot find it? I don't want to offend anyone by asking for folks to make overt disparaging remarks, so I would accept any private msgs on same, as well? Regardless, this forum is an outstanding service. Thank you in advance, New Englander(soon to be TV).
First do not apologize for posting here - it is an open forum and welcome.

I have only one suggestion and it refers to age. If you are a youthful retiree you could probably locate happily to just any village. However, if you do not want to travel too far to shop, eat out, doctors, dentists, hospitals and the Squares etc, then look in areas that are within easy reach of the necessities of every day living.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 02-18-2018, 05:09 PM
fw102807

The best way to decide is to visit all of the squares, Spanish Springs, Lake Sumter Landing and Brownwood and decide which you like best and would like to be close to. Then you can look at the new developments south of here and see how you like it there. Also look at where the places you like to shop are located and decide how near you would like to be. That will help you narrow down the areas where you will want to look.
Old 02-18-2018, 05:36 PM
Veteran member
Location: MI, LA, IN, IL, MI (2), MA, NC, CA (2)A, FL, VA, RI, NH, OR (2), FL (2), WI (2), MN

[QUOTE=EviesGP;1516437]First, I apologize in advance, fo I don't want to offend anyone by asking for folks to make overt disparaging remarks, so I would accept any private msgs on same, as well? Regardless, this forum is an outstanding service. Thank you in advance, New Englander(soon to be TV).[/QUOTE

Renting for a full year is the only way to make very sure you are making the right decision.
Old 02-18-2018, 05:42 PM
Veteran member
Location: MI, LA, IN, IL, MI (2), MA, NC, CA (2)A, FL, VA, RI, NH, OR (2), FL (2), WI (2), MN

Also try to visit each recreation center (if they will let you in) and see how the others respond to you, a new face. One group literally told me I was not welcome because I was a new face.
Old 02-18-2018, 05:44 PM
fw102807

[QUOTE=EPutnam1863;1516478]
Quote:
Originally Posted by EviesGP View Post
First, I apologize in advance, fo I don't want to offend anyone by asking for folks to make overt disparaging remarks, so I would accept any private msgs on same, as well? Regardless, this forum is an outstanding service. Thank you in advance, New Englander(soon to be TV).[/QUOTE

Renting for a full year is the only way to make very sure you are making the right decision.
We came down for a preview week looked at all the squares talked to everyone we met and went to a bunch of open houses to see the different types. Went back up north bought a house that met our requirements and have been happy as clams ever since.
Old 02-18-2018, 07:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,366 Times in 2,395 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPutnam1863 View Post
Also try to visit each recreation center (if they will let you in) and see how the others respond to you, a new face. One group literally told me I was not welcome because I was a new face.
In 18 years I have never not been allowed to visit a rec center.
Old 02-18-2018, 09:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madelaine Amee View Post
First do not apologize for posting here - it is an open forum and welcome.

I have only one suggestion and it refers to age. If you are a youthful retiree you could probably locate happily to just any village. However, if you do not want to travel too far to shop, eat out, doctors, dentists, hospitals and the Squares etc, then look in areas that are within easy reach of the necessities of every day living.
But that changes every year and you have to define how far too far is. Everything is within reach from any part of The Villages and frankly, shopping, eating out, doctors, dentists, hospitals should not be what your life revolves around. There is a life here that enhances your well being that should make the medical stuff and shopping secondary however, I will conceded eating out is important but that is available everywhere and the best places are outside The Villages.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 02-18-2018, 09:57 PM

Here’s my side of the story we are snowbirds, this is our first time staying in TV. We wanted to try it on for size so to speak and are renting a very nice designer home My take on the Villages is this, we are in the Chatam area in the rental, we like it here but thought next year let’s rent in a different location. We took a few days and drove both by car and golf cart to various areas. After looking at some available rentals in other areas we decided to stay put and return next year to the same rental. We took a tour of Fenney and it did not appeal to us. My point is get a feel for different neighborhoods. Everyone tastes differ take the time, make your own decision. Knowing what we know now we would never buy or rent south of 466, we prefer the Villages closer to Rt 42, but that’s just our preference. Wishing you the best.
Old 02-19-2018, 07:55 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,663 Times in 941 Posts

Choosing a home and a neighborhood is a personal decision based on personal needs and wants. None of the villages are lacking in home sales (as far as I know) because they all appeal in their own way to many people. The best advice is to take the time to learn as much as you can, and then go from there. It's a big place for sure. And the fact that there are no "bad" areas make choosing all the more difficult, or perhaps all the more easy.
Old 02-19-2018, 08:21 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to eweissenbach

A prime consideration for me is where the home is located in relation to the executive golf courses. If that is a major consideration for you take a look at a map of the courses. We rented in Hemingway for a number of years and had access to more than twenty execs within a fifteen minute cart ride. The preponderance of courses between 466 and 466A are located to the west of Canal St, with more in the southern end. South of 466A they are mostly in the north end just off Pinellas on the east of Morse and the west of Buena Vista. Good hunting.
Old 03-11-2018, 08:30 AM

We too will be renting for a month next spring and planning on retiring for good to TV in 2019. We would appreciate any feedback from Villagers who are active, enjoy (executive level) golf and being involved in community. Thank you!
Old 03-11-2018, 09:04 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,310 Times in 544 Posts

OP, you ask a very difficult question and one that is very easy to answer at the same time. Where to live in The Villages is such a personal decision that it’s next to impossible (difficult) to advise. On the other hand only you and your significant other (assuming there is one) can make an informed decision based upon your hobbies, wants and needs. I know that doesn’t help much. It is difficult to make a wrong decision that can’t be corrected very quickly. By that I mean, houses priced at market price sell very quickly in The Villages. We know because we missed a house or two because we waited three or four days,to make up our mind. That’s not the “normal” way you purchase a home elsewhere. I’m confident that you will sort it out. I will give you one piece of advice. Invest $5.00 in an up to date map of The Villages. I’m “old school” but I think you can see the big picture of The Villages by looking at the big picture. Enjoy and good luck.
Old 03-11-2018, 09:08 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPutnam1863 View Post
Was that in The Villages or somewhere else?
Closed Thread

Tags
advice, advance, areas, neighborhoods, find

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.