Neighborhood opions?

Closed Thread
Old 03-11-2018, 09:17 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,743 Times in 1,383 Posts

There will always be an isolated opinion about almost anything. So as other posters have so much as said....take the time to see for yourself.

Whether an area is better than another is all in the eye of the beholder. As GG said you really cannot make a serious mistake.

Make it a priority to get the house and property you want and that will pretty much sort out where you will wind up buying.

Good luck.
Old 03-11-2018, 09:41 AM
Gold member

Is this it? --->12 Buying Tips For THE VILLAGES in FLORIDA - YouTube

Or maybe this?--->THE BEST LOCATIONS IN THE VILLAGES - My Picks - YouTube
Old 03-11-2018, 09:42 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPutnam1863 View Post
Also try to visit each recreation center (if they will let you in) and see how the others respond to you, a new face. One group literally told me I was not welcome because I was a new face.
I think you may have misunderstood. Sometimes especially during the high season, all chairs are filled. I noticed when reading your post that you have lived in many, many states, yet you don't own here, although in the past you have lived in other parts of Florida.
Old 03-11-2018, 09:43 AM
Veteran member

I enjoy graphs and spreadsheets, so this won't be for everybody, but what I'd do is make a simple flowchart.

First question -- new home or resale. That answer will limit your search and steer you to the next question of importance to you, which might be price range. The following questions could be things like being close (and how close) to grocery stores, a town square, sports and activities such as golf/softball/bowling/sports pool/regional rec center, etc. Easy golf cart accessibility to other parts of The Villages may or may not be of importance. Once you have a list of preferred villages that meet your requirements, you can focus on specific house features such as model, lot, and bond.

If you have a physical map like justjim suggested, you can draw circles around the areas to get a good overview.
Old 03-11-2018, 09:46 AM
Gold member

The area north of 466 is a great place to live. Less hectic during the winter months. I like anything between Glenview CC and Nancy Lopez.
Old 03-11-2018, 09:48 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by queasy27 View Post
I enjoy graphs and spreadsheets, so this won't be for everybody, but what I'd do is make a simple flowchart.

First question -- new home or resale. That answer will limit your search and steer you to the next question of importance to you, which might be price range. The following questions could be things like being close (and how close) to grocery stores, a town square, sports and activities such as golf/softball/bowling/sports pool/regional rec center, etc. Easy golf cart accessibility to other parts of The Villages may or may not be of importance. Once you have a list of preferred villages that meet your requirements, you can focus on specific house features such as model, lot, and bond.

If you have a physical map like justjim suggested, you can draw circles around the areas to get a good overview.
MOST of the new homes are in Fenney right now.

We kept copious notes and decided to buy a used Villa when we came as snowbirds. We bought a new designer in Hadley. Enjoyed it thoroughly and built a new home again when we became frogs. I don't think the squares are the draw at all after a year or so, groceries and restaurants and golfcart accessibility is important. Golf courses and nice people are everywhere here.
Old 03-11-2018, 11:22 AM

There are no bad places to live in the villages! Just define your own priorities and search three places: properties for sale by realty executives in the villages, MLS listings such as ERA Grizzard's site, and FSBO. Remember that there is not one convenient place where all available properties can be found. Start looking, its free and I looked for 2 years with no pressure from any agent. Once you start looking, you can define your priority list.
Resale of new?
Bond or Bond paid?
#bedrooms/#baths
grass or no grass
Courtyard or open yard
furnished turnkey or empty
proximity to the squares/golf/food store
carpet or no carpet
gas or electric
pool or neighborhood pool

Check the location of past sink holes, though it is no guarantee that they will continue to occur or not......it is good knowledge to have when buying a home.
Old 03-11-2018, 11:50 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Almost everyone thinks their village is the best, unless they brought their unhappiness with them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madelaine Amee View Post
... if you do not want to travel too far to shop, eat out, doctors, dentists, hospitals and the Squares etc, then look in areas that are within easy reach of the necessities of every day living.
Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I don't think the squares are the draw at all after a year or so, groceries and restaurants and golf cart accessibility is important. Golf courses and nice people are everywhere here.
Old 03-11-2018, 12:33 PM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

A couple of frequent complaints I read here are from folks who frustrate over the amount of traffic between their home and where they have to get to, be it groceries, club mtg, medical appt, golf, etc.

Another is that they moved into a neighborhood of apparent pre-retirees who do not live there year round; thus creating a rather empty neighborhood in all but 'the season' months.

And then there are the folks who would not dream of buying in any of the three original Villages because they are adverse to manufactured houses and old people! In fact...those Villages have become 'heritage' villages because of the younger folks inheriting the homes of their parents! The good news, too, is that the developer is gentrifying the area with the purchase and replacement of many of the early houses with brand new site built models. I doubt you can find a larger siized lot anywhere in the Villages! And there is a golf cart bridge over the hiway to get you where you need to go when you don't need the car! Exit any of the three original villages and the hiway is right there without winding thru a bunch of traffic clogged roads. Villages on the other side of the hiway off of Avenida Central, are also convenient to the hiway, shopping, etc.

As far as moving into an established neighborhood if that is where the home of your dreams winds up...have no fear...hand out invitations to a come as you are and bring your own chair intro party and you will be the latest social butterfly of the street!

Here's hpoing you have a fun house hunting experience! (PS folks in the original villages are not likely to file complaints if you choose to adorn your property with any variety of lawn ornaments lolol).

Old 03-11-2018, 01:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,163 Times in 436 Posts

If you will be spending first year in box stores (lowes or home depot) or are a bowling fan, look in spanish springs area. If you want a shorter trip to Orlando and Mouse-land, look to brownwood.
If you like lake-view in town, check out Sumter Landing.
Old 03-12-2018, 05:28 PM

How can a new face not be welcome since people move or die?????? Makes no sense. And if the community grows, if there aren't new faces, the community will empty out eventually.
Old 03-12-2018, 06:46 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,743 Times in 1,383 Posts

The Villages is like a well designed theatre....there is not a bad seat in the house.

Re-stating much of what has been said......when you find the house you want, the village chosen and it's peoples will be the best experience you have had to date...regardless where in The Villages, you will not go wrong.....all personal opinions offered aside as they are justly prejudiced.
Old 03-12-2018, 11:24 PM
Location: New Hampshire, now Heathrow on Lake Deaton Preserve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgroemm View Post
There are no bad places to live in the villages! Just define your own priorities and search three places: properties for sale by realty executives in the villages, MLS listings such as ERA Grizzard's site, and FSBO. Remember that there is not one convenient place where all available properties can be found. Start looking, its free and I looked for 2 years with no pressure from any agent. Once you start looking, you can define your priority list.
Resale of new?
Bond or Bond paid?
#bedrooms/#baths
grass or no grass
Courtyard or open yard
furnished turnkey or empty
proximity to the squares/golf/food store
carpet or no carpet
gas or electric
pool or neighborhood pool

Check the location of past sink holes, though it is no guarantee that they will continue to occur or not......it is good knowledge to have when buying a home.
How does one go about checking the location of past sink holes?
Old 03-13-2018, 07:27 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikearoni View Post
How does one go about checking the location of past sink holes?
Google sinkhole map of Florida.
Old 03-15-2018, 07:03 AM

Our home is in the Spanish Springs area, in the Village of Delmar. It is in the best location. By golf cart you can reach Lowes, Walmart, Aldi's, Winn Dixie and Publix.
We are on the 2nd tee of the Chula Vista Golf Course. If you plan a return visit in the fall, our home is available September and October and you can view all details on VillagersHomes4Rent.com .. Property#5160.
Our property is not for sale, but it is in such a great location that I have had interest from 2 of my renters to purchase it.
It would be a great way for you to check out the neighborhood and the great neighbors.
If you are interested, please contact Jean 585 694 3279 by phone or text or email: jricciuto@rochester.rr.com
Closed Thread

Tags
advice, advance, areas, neighborhoods, find

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.