Neighborhood opions?

Closed Thread
Old 03-15-2018, 07:18 AM
Veteran member

While renting, decide which activities you think you will be most involved in. If you think you are going to play softball 3 days a week, you probably don't want to be at the very south end (very few games are played at Soaring Eagle) as 90% of the softball is played at Buffalo Glen and Saddlebrook. Same with bowling, only 2 bowling locations and both are up north. Platform tennis? You'd want to be closer to the central or southern areas. Archery? North...
I know people who have literally moved just because they got tired of traveling 30 minutes to get to activities that they participate in several times a week.
Old 03-15-2018, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikearoni View Post
How does one go about checking the location of past sink holes?
There was a great map posted on TOTV, just search for it.
Old 03-15-2018, 12:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgroemm View Post
There was a great map posted on TOTV, just search for it.
IMHO there is a strong possibility that where a sinkhole has been repaired that place is equal or better than other locations.

Sinkholes fall under the "you never know" classification if you ask the real experts.
Old 03-20-2018, 08:25 AM
Default Other villages communities

ARe theyre any other villages communities in southern Florida? or does anyone know of nice parks or condo complexes that have the community atmosphere in southern Florida?
Old 03-20-2018, 08:46 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by queasy27 View Post
I enjoy graphs and spreadsheets, so this won't be for everybody, but what I'd do is make a simple flowchart.

First question -- new home or resale. That answer will limit your search and steer you to the next question of importance to you, which might be price range. The following questions could be things like being close (and how close) to grocery stores, a town square, sports and activities such as golf/softball/bowling/sports pool/regional rec center, etc. Easy golf cart accessibility to other parts of The Villages may or may not be of importance. Once you have a list of preferred villages that meet your requirements, you can focus on specific house features such as model, lot, and bond.

If you have a physical map like justjim suggested, you can draw circles around the areas to get a good overview.
Oh, boy. Are you a programmer?
Old 03-20-2018, 08:48 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickster38 View Post
ARe theyre any other villages communities in southern Florida? or does anyone know of nice parks or condo complexes that have the community atmosphere in southern Florida?
No.
Old 03-20-2018, 08:49 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
MOST of the new homes are in Fenney right now.

We kept copious notes and decided to buy a used Villa when we came as snowbirds. We bought a new designer in Hadley. Enjoyed it thoroughly and built a new home again when we became frogs. I don't think the squares are the draw at all after a year or so, groceries and restaurants and golfcart accessibility is important. Golf courses and nice people are everywhere here.
Gracie, dear, I didn't know you lived in Hadley. I'm on Grovewood. Where was your house?
Old 03-20-2018, 09:03 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henryk View Post
Gracie, dear, I didn't know you lived in Hadley. I'm on Grovewood. Where was your house?
We lived just behind the shuffleboard courts at Odell. Here is our old sign;
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	000_8643.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	74486  
Old 03-20-2018, 09:05 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
We lived on Havana just behind the shuffleboard courts at Odell. Here is our old sign;
Goodness, that's just around the corner from us!
Old 03-20-2018, 02:42 PM
Sage

Quote:
No, there isn't anything like The Villages in South Florida, at least Southeast Florida. They have to build up, not out, so lots of high rise condos.
Old 03-24-2018, 07:58 PM

stephenm52. Can I ask, what is your draw to that area up north? I ask because there are many affordable options up there, but not many people seem to be drawn there? We just spent last week there, and purposely drove up there, as we have a rental in that area this fall, as we look for a place to buy. You're welcome to respond or msg me, but I'd be really interested in your opinion. Thanks.
Old 03-24-2018, 09:29 PM
Gold member

Quote:
The are many 55= communities in South Florida. Century Village.....is the biggest and rivals the villages with condos and is located in Ft lauderdale, West Palm and Pembroke Pines. 4 condo complexes in 3 cities.

There are also many smaller condo 55+ communities, in Hollywood, Pembroke pines and Dania Beach as well as Hallendale, Miami and The Keys. As Well as maufactured homes and smaller older style florida home communities that are 55+

They are all mainly Golf communities, they are very well maintained and much less expensive than the Villages. But not cart communities, and that sometimes makes the difference. But take it from me having lived in south florida for the past 20 years, the weather is much better down there, but alas Disney is up here, so here we stay.

Last edited by kstew43; 03-24-2018 at 09:43 PM.
Old 03-25-2018, 06:49 AM
Veteran member

Right now, if you want to live a full golf cart lifestyle, the northern areas are really the only way. There are golf accessible department stores, Hardware stores, furniture stores, and everything stores at the shopping areas on the west side of Buena Vista at 466 (Buffalo Ridge area) and up near Spanish Springs. There are theatres that pull in touring entertainment at the Sharon in Spanish Springs and the Savannah on Buena Vista and El Camino. The is a smaller theatre for local talent plays in the neighborhood just north of 466 off of Morse, and, of course dinner shows at Katie Belles.

However, if you are willing to drive for those occasional things, there is golf, grocery stores, pickle ball, banks, healthcare and rec centers everywhere. (Or soon to be everywhere.)

As someone above mentioned, find out what your favorite activities would be and pick a neighborhood close by. I’ve bought and lived in two pre-owned homes here in established neighborhoods in the Villages, and neighbors in both Villages are very welcoming and inclusive.
Old 04-22-2018, 11:06 AM

Do all areas have the same level of activities? I am exploring and have been for a couple of years.

My main interest would have a nice pool area, not just a lap pool.

Making a trip next month.

Any responses very welcomed!
Old 04-22-2018, 11:12 AM
fw102807

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschrief View Post
Do all areas have the same level of activities? I am exploring and have been for a couple of years.

My main interest would have a nice pool area, not just a lap pool.

Making a trip next month.

Any responses very welcomed!
I have tried to describe The Villages to friends and family and sent links and videos but I get the same amazed reaction every time they actually get here and see it. My friend had totally made up her mind that she wasn't going to like it and when she came to visit she was blown away.
Closed Thread

Tags
advice, advance, areas, neighborhoods, find

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.