New to this forum; coming for Lifestyle visit

Closed Thread
Old 02-22-2015, 08:31 PM
Default New to this forum; coming for Lifestyle visit

Hi everyone!

I've been reading many posts for awhile so decided it was time to post my introduction. I first heard about TV while on a transatlantic cruise last Oct. After doing alot of research, I've booked a Lifestyle visit in April; one of my daughters will be with me.

I plan to retire in 4 yrs so have begun to think about where I want to live and what I want to do. I currently live on a small farm in a rural area. I have 4 daughters and 12 grandchildren, most of them living near me. I'm very close to them and I spend alot of time with my family but I'm sick of cold, snowy winters and very few activities to participate in after I stop working. TV sounds almost too good to be true, but I'm not sure if I want to be somewhere without any family close by. Have any of you struggled with this? Any advice?
Old 02-23-2015, 12:55 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

I was fortunate that my family moved here with me. My daughter and grandson now live in Ocala, so they're still close.however, many of my friends are in your shoes -- living here means leaving family. Not an easy thing to do. Those who are here full time ("frogs"), have family visit as often as possible (good to be near major amusement parks and lively beaches) and go back to their families often. Many are snowbirds and plan to continue to be such as long as they can travel. This way, they are here in the winter and with family, especially grandkids when school is out. Tis the best of both worlds IMO.

TV has a lot to offer. I hope you enjoy your visit.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 02-23-2015, 02:39 AM

I am sure my post will sound negative, but it is intended to give you help when you make your decision. I have had 2 friends who decided after about 5 or 6 months that they needed to move back home. They loved the Villages, but they were very close to their families, and felt like they had to go home. They had made several trips back to see family during the time they were here, and their grandkids had come to visit 1 at a time, so it wasn't that they never got to see the family. But they realized that they missed the every day activities, and milestones that the kids had. They missed going to watch their g-kids playing sports, and birthday parties, and just watching the kids grow up in general. They missed the kids Trick or Treat, church activities, etc. It just depends on how much you currently see your g=kids now. One thing to remember is that while kids are welcome here, each child is only allowed to spend 30 days a year here. I only mention all of these things, because I know what my friends went through.
Old 02-23-2015, 06:39 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,499 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by VT2TV View Post
I am sure my post will sound negative, but it is intended to give you help when you make your decision. I have had 2 friends who decided after about 5 or 6 months that they needed to move back home. They loved the Villages, but they were very close to their families, and felt like they had to go home. They had made several trips back to see family during the time they were here, and their grandkids had come to visit 1 at a time, so it wasn't that they never got to see the family. But they realized that they missed the every day activities, and milestones that the kids had. They missed going to watch their g-kids playing sports, and birthday parties, and just watching the kids grow up in general. They missed the kids Trick or Treat, church activities, etc. It just depends on how much you currently see your g=kids now. One thing to remember is that while kids are welcome here, each child is only allowed to spend 30 days a year here. I only mention all of these things, because I know what my friends went through.
Very thoughtful advice VT2TV

Something to think about. Perhaps the OP should rent for the snowbird season until these precious little ones spread their wings and fly to their own perches and then make a decision about moving here.

Our two grandchildren were poised to go to college when we bought our first snowbird house here. They lived less than a mile from us and we saw them a lot and as adults we know (and love) each other very well and we see them about five times a year and we talk on Skype a lot.

Come and see how lovely this place is and decide what is comfortable for you. AND stop by and see us Buckeye fans and true Ohioans too. Welcome mat is out at our place and hugs are ready.
Old 02-23-2015, 07:47 AM
Veteran member

part of my problem too. My two children would probably never come to TV. (they don't like my current wife, not their mom) And although my wife says 'let's buy here' she has a LOT of things going back in Minnesota, not the least of is a business doing summer cabin rentals. We did look at some nice homes in TV and one in particular that Jane said 'let's buy'! When I said sure, you pay half..that killed the deal........
Old 02-23-2015, 08:12 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,103 Times in 1,336 Posts

One thing is for sure, you will not be bored in TVs! I miss family but I don't miss the cold. One day I might live here year round, but from now on I will play in TVs 4-5 months a year. Enjoy every minute of your visit. You will be back!
Old 02-23-2015, 08:41 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,041 Times in 368 Posts

Most of us struggled with moving away from family and friends. Personally, we decided that moving to a warmer climate from cold Ohio winters was what we wanted to do for us. It's our time. You'll find that you keep the old friends who are close, lose touch with the old friends who aren't close. Most of your family should understand and will come down to Florida for a visit, some will not.
Your biggest fear is not having enough to do after you retire where you live. The Villages is a whole new world for you to explore and enjoy. There is shopping, dining, and recreation everywhere. Activities and clubs by the thousands. And most importantly, you will have new friends and neighbors who for the most part will be there when you want them or need them, and they'll give you space when you want that too. And finally, when we moved, the road south was two ways...so we never felt the decision to move wasn't one that we couldn't reverse if we chose to. Good luck with whatever your lifestyle choice is, because it is your life.
And by the way...Go Bucks !!!
Old 02-23-2015, 09:27 AM

4 years ago I reconnected with someone I knew in school. He lived I. florida, me in Michigan. He moved to Michigan, where I soon retired, but winters were getting to him. His kids and Grandkids are in Florida, so we bought a home in TV where we spend 6 months away from the brutal MI weather. I normally fly back to MI to see my family during those months and he does the same during the summer. At times we have come back down for a mini vaca...Why is it that our kids dont hesitate to move away from us, but it is so hard for us to do the same?
Old 02-23-2015, 10:04 AM

I can speak to two things...
Outside The Villages is very rural. Inside the bubble we are packed in here without mostly small yards. No wide open spaces..
Second, sounds like you are single there is a whirlwind, a merrygoround, an unbelievable opprtuniy to participate in innumerable events and to become fast friends with wonderful people.
Check the singles forum on totv to introduce yourself.
Old 02-23-2015, 10:50 AM

I second all that has been said here. We have 5 grandkids and Skype with them all the time. That works for us. My husband and I never enjoyed going to the sports games or the recitals, but it's fun to hear about them on Skype. So I think part of it depends on the way you interact with them now. We do miss the Wednesday night family dinners at our house, but finally decided that we could not live our lives looking forward to one night a week.
Old 02-23-2015, 12:04 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbkmaine View Post
I second all that has been said here. We have 5 grandkids and Skype with them all the time. That works for us. My husband and I never enjoyed going to the sports games or the recitals, but it's fun to hear about them on Skype. So I think part of it depends on the way you interact with them now. We do miss the Wednesday night family dinners at our house, but finally decided that we could not live our lives looking forward to one night a week.
THIS, in bold is what I see from almost everybody we know amongst relatives and friends up north and in our former states of residence. It's depressing to watch them wither for lack of activity and interaction with society in general.

Then, the winter ice and snow and below-zero temps often eliminate even that one night per week event they look forward to.

I think most people do not realize that socialization is everything to seniors. The Villages IS socialization at its best. It's not the nice homes and neighborhoods that keep a person engaged and learning and expanding their knowledge and zest for life. It's the people engaging each other in new ideas and activities

Use it or lose it, or you'll get dull-minded and become a pain in the rear to the younger people around you!

For the o.p., consider snowbirding. It really is nice if you make your up-north home small and maintenance-free, as in condo.
Old 02-23-2015, 04:25 PM
Sage

You have received good sage advice. Only you can decide how much you will miss your family and grandkids in general. Many people have grappled with this problem and most have found that moving to Tv, is the best thing they could have done, for themselves.

Disney and plane trips also work too. "Skpe" works well. Most children don't understand why you would want to move here, until they have come for a visit, and see what the fuss is all about.

My mom always use to say that she couldn't live her life to please her children. She needed the companionship of her peers and it worked for her.

Again, it's your decision that matters.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 02-23-2015, 05:12 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,751 Times in 3,627 Posts

Great Posts so far.

Do the Lifestyle and rent. Rent for a month, 3 months, etc., work (I shouldn't say work) thru it over time. There is no rush, enjoy the journey and the decision will come naturally.

Lots of good people and future friends down here.
Old 02-23-2015, 05:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,208 Times in 1,172 Posts

Welcome, Go-Bucks! A lifestyle visit is a good first step. Only you know whether you can bear to be away from your family or not. With 4 daughters and 12 grandchildren you do have a lot to walk away from, but as others have said there are many ways to keep in touch, etc. It also helps a lot if your family is supportive of your decision. If you decide you don't want to be away from them year round and if financially feasible for you to do so, you could always just winter in TV. In that case, you may just want to rent for the 2 or 3 months to get away from the cold and retain a residence back home. Come down and see for yourself. I know that anytime I went on vacation, I was always ready to get back home after a period of time. That was until I started vacationing in The Villages - then it seemed no matter how long I stayed, I never wanted to leave. That's when I knew it was time to start planning to make it my new home. Best wishes to you!
Old 02-23-2015, 06:24 PM
Platinum member

All good comments from all. I agree with the lifestyle visit and then renting, but take a slight turn. Rent during the summer! For a couple of reasons. First it is less expensive. Next, everyone knows it is great in TV when it is 10 degress in the mid-west. Howver it gets pretty darn hot in the TV during the summer! Personnaly it does not bother me that much playing golf in 100 degree heat, but not all can handle the heat. This is not a "dry" heat like AZ. it is just damm hot!

The last good reason to try TV in the summer is it not as crowded!

Come on down, I am sure you will enjoy your time here!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.