New homes without gutters

Closed Thread
Old 07-07-2020, 12:30 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,152 Times in 1,326 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chitown View Post
While it’s true I’m from up north, I have never been in a home without gutters. Here in The Villages you purchase a expensive new home and no gutters. The builder tells me that it would cost them too much money. That I can find it cheaper after market. Give me a break. They are building thousand of homes yet little o me can find it cheaper. Then I hear from some Villagers that it’s not necessary. Over the last several days the rain came down like a monsoon and the roof looked like a waterfall. Does anyone else find it strange houses built without gutters?

we only had gutters over the front entry way....so what, that wasn't going to cause us to not buy, or get all tangled up in our britches over it

some new homes came without window shades...our had them, my cousin's did not

we had gutters installed after we bought

If gutters are important to you call A-Action Seamless Gutters 352.406.3580 and get a quote from them and get a couple more...they all advertise in the Daily Sun
Old 07-07-2020, 12:34 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
In general you do not need gutters (yes I am from PA and we had gutters) just let the rain go into the lawn on landscape. You may actually create a problem with the addition of the gutters. We had some installed due to staining on the drive way, ended up with a pop-up and underground piping to get past the landscaping, the pop-up became overgrown with grass. It took me 2 hours to find it and clean it out. If you go the gutter route, make sure the drains are properly installed and that they drian to a good location so the ware runs away from the house. We have been here 7 years, and only have gutters at the front of the house, and where the birdcage was installed. IMHO, live with the existing design for a while, then if necessary add the minimum amount of gutters.
We used Hills and were very pleased.
Your right, no need That's why it's not in the state building codes
Old 07-07-2020, 12:36 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,465 Times in 545 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
The reason gutters are not as important in the South is that most houses are built with a few feet of roof overhang at the exterior walls. But, in the North, most houses have little or no overhang where the roof connects to the exterior wall. Also, there are more 2 or 3 story houses in the North, which makes gutters a necessary feature.
Your comment made me go outside and look at our current home, then dig out pics of our old home. I don’t see any difference, but maybe other homes were like that?
Old 07-07-2020, 12:52 PM

If you don't install gutters within a few years you'll have a trench basically all around your house from rain erosion...
Old 07-12-2020, 02:55 PM
John41

Our house was built in 2006 and has gutters all around. Seems like the developer is shortchanging you. What else is missing behind the walls?
Old 07-12-2020, 04:30 PM
Michael Charles

Quote:
Originally Posted by John41 View Post
Our house was built in 2006 and has gutters all around. Seems like the developer is shortchanging you. What else is missing behind the walls?
The question is not what's missing rather what junk do they sweep behind the studs! Have you ever had your bathroom remodeled? We did and all the tile was removed. I asked the demo guy why isn't he using a shop vac to suck up all the tiny broken pieces of old tile? His response was that he didn't have one! He just swept it all under the bathtub from behind the open studs! No time to clean but up. If you ever get your carpet removed you might be surprised to find a few razor blades under the mat.
Old 07-13-2020, 10:39 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,647 Times in 589 Posts

Homes used to have gutters, it's a way to cut costs (but not prices). I'd add some, I prefer them.
Go Bears !!!!
Old 07-13-2020, 03:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by John41 View Post
NOTHING is wrong. We have built in our lifetime, or had built 11 homes. We have had two new ones here and one was sticks and one is stucco and the folks who built them stand behind them. Warranty is amazing. I don't know why they only have front gutters but that is how they all are built. They also do not come with a pull down ladder to the garage. Know that ahead of time. They do other amazing things like hand seal all of the interior moldings. We really enjoy this house. No one is trying to fool ya.
Old 07-13-2020, 08:36 PM

Hand sealed interior trim is just painters caulk. faster and cheaper than shoe mold or 1/4 round but folks down here seem to think it's ok craftmanship.
Old 07-16-2020, 03:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,647 Times in 589 Posts

Villages homes used to be ready to go. Then I've seen homes without appliances, without blinds, without ceiling fans, now without gutters. Buy now, or one day soon they'll come without windows and doors!!
Closed Thread

Tags
gutters, find, cheaper, homes, home

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.