New Villager (almost anyway)

Closed Thread
Old 01-27-2021, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzerbaby View Post
So we did this kind of unconventionally, We first visited the Villages in December, found a house in a location we liked (Winifred Village), and am currently under contract. I'm fortunate to have worked in a profession that allowed me to retire early (I'm 52 and my wife is 55). We originally looking at Latitude Margaritaville and a couple other communities but absolutely fell in love with The Villages. I'm sure it's not all rainbows and unicorns here but everyone we came into contact with seemed really happy and had a zest for life.Looking forward to meeting some of you and I'm always looking for a fishing partner .
Hi. Do you go deep sea fishing? My husband Loves to fish but ONLY deep sea......????
Old 01-27-2021, 04:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,874 Times in 948 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzerbaby View Post
Thank you for all the warm welcomes! I figure "they" (whoever they are) say the average villager moves 2.7 times while living in the villages, so that gives us plenty of time to really figure things out as far as location. I don't think this one is our forever home, but it's definitely going to be our right now home. Now to figure out how to get the wife retired so we can get down there full time.
From my dad, long departed.
If, you think you understand your wife, you are wrong. Even if you are right, it will change shortly.
From me
If, you care about what other people think such as my Village is better than yours. First you give them power that should be yours. Secondly, they were the same in elementary school
Borrowed from a Villages friend, they do not get better as they age, they get worse.

DON'T WORRY BE HAPPY.
Old 01-27-2021, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj740@comcast.net View Post
Hi. Do you go deep sea fishing? My husband Loves to fish but ONLY deep sea......????
Yes I do, I grew up on rivers and ponds in the northwest, but now I seem to spend more time in the salt. I do try to get up to Alaska at least once a year where I split my time between salt and freshwater.
Old 01-27-2021, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
At 9:21 tonight, it will be the 21st minute of the 21st hour of the 21st day of the 21st year of the 21st century. No, it's not, but I made you look.

Now look at map of all The Villages old and new. Look for #40, that's Winifred, now look down near the bottom for your village and go ahead and tell us all again how central you are. Actually my Village of Tamarind Grove is more central than both. We are 14 miles from Fenney and 11 miles from Calumet Grove. The most central Villages would be Hemingway or Duval, numbers 57 and 58.

The Villages Florida
The new homes south of CR44 don't have and won't have for another 5 years minimum all the entertainment, shopping, restaurants, healthcare, The 2 best Town Squares, businesses and much more all within a shorter distance to travel than the established homes around CR 466.
Old 01-28-2021, 07:08 AM

HOW about Bonnybrook # 37 or Ashland # 39. I recently purchased in Ashland and love the location. 2.7 mile to Sumter Landing. 1.7 miles to Wedgewood Lane where there is so many stores. Publix, Ace Hardware, Walmart etc. etc. In the other direction heading south there's a Winn Dixie, Sumter Landing, and Brownwood maybe 8.5 miles away. Check out Whispering Oaks winery 6.5 miles away. Everyday I am enjoying TV more and more. The more I am venturing out the more I am loving this place. TV is awesome.
Old 01-28-2021, 07:40 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thumbs up Reasoning Supporting Winifred Village

You will be 5 minutes from Shopping Center, Banks, Restaurants, Hardware Store, Wallgreens, Walmark, Auto Store, Next door to a major Rec Center and golf course and driving range and Golf Center Restaurant plus other stuff but this is a start. That
is why Winifred is terrific location. Before the nuts fall out of trees and attack the 5 minutes time, it may be as high as 10 minutes in a couple of cases but who cares for another 5 minutes.
Old 01-28-2021, 08:08 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,092 Times in 1,327 Posts

Quote:
It will be 20 years before Fenney is central, and that's only if they continue to sell at the current rate. Right now Fenney is the very southern most edge of TV. That's about 20 to 25 miles to the northern most edge and Calumet Grove. To become central they'll have to built 20 to 25 miles further south of Fenney. Calumet Grove was started just about 20 years ago, about 2000 to 2002. I don't how anyone can look at that map and think the new area will be central in the near future. All I can say is the new home sales people much have one heck of a sales pitch.
Winifred is pretty central, to all the golf.
Old 01-28-2021, 08:53 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,634 Times in 928 Posts

It seems that this is becoming a contest. All areas of TV are great. The reasons vary. People make choices based on their personal criteria, as it should be. No reason to claim that other areas are not as good.
Old 01-28-2021, 09:16 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Welcome Home to both of you. You have no idea what a great choice you made to move here to lower Paradise.

As for being in your fifties....I once thought that age didn't matter here in The Villages but now that I am 81, (which happened VERY quickly while having fun) I can see that it does.

I do not want to roller skate with you but we will welcome you and give you coffee and snacks (or a cold beer) and enjoy listening to you telling us of all of the adventures of your life before you arrived here. You are just gonna love this place.

Don't discount us olders. We are quite nice and fun to be around.
Old 01-28-2021, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Welcome Home to both of you. You have no idea what a great choice you made to move here to lower Paradise.

As for being in your fifties....I once thought that age didn't matter here in The Villages but now that I am 81, (which happened VERY quickly while having fun) I can see that it does.

I do not want to roller skate with you but we will welcome you and give you coffee and snacks (or a cold beer) and enjoy listening to you telling us of all of the adventures of your life before you arrived here. You are just gonna love this place.

Don't discount us olders. We are quite nice and fun to be around.
And I would thoroughly enjoy that! I'm sure you have many tales to tell as well.
Old 01-28-2021, 03:11 PM

Reading everyone rave about being in the middle of everything has driven me to my first post here.

I’ve been “in the middle of everything” for the last 30+ years and I’ve had enough. For my coming retirement, The Villages is currently my plan B. Plan A is renting an out building on Kanye West’s Wyoming ranch.

For the Villages the new areas down south are what appeal to me. If I were to buy right now I’d probably go with Bradford. Small and quiet but near enough to activities I’m interested in. For shopping it’s just the grocery store once or twice a week, Costco once a month and Home Depot/Lowes occasionally. Everything else I can get online.

For recreation it’s USPSA pistol matches in Clearwater once a week, Archery once a week and the standard Villager activities: Biking, Golf, Softball, Pickleball, Orgies, etc. None of which have to be within walking distance.

I have no interest in the Town Squares. In fact, I’ll be leaving my family strict instructions. If they ever hear of me line dancing they are to immediately dispatch Seal Team 6 for an emergency extraction.

I’ve read that the typical Villager buys 2-3 houses. Maybe I’ll end up buying further and further south as time goes on. I’m pretty sure I’m going to have a hard time adjusting to all the friendliness. Joining the social group for sarcastic and cynical north-easterners might help though.

You do have one of those groups, right?
Old 01-28-2021, 03:45 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston-Sean View Post
Reading everyone rave about being in the middle of everything has driven me to my first post here.

I’ve been “in the middle of everything” for the last 30+ years and I’ve had enough. For my coming retirement, The Villages is currently my plan B...
When I moved to TV in 2011 we didn't have an area like south of 44, the new area was the end of Buena Vista at 466A. The quiet area and still is to this day, is the northern end of Buena Vista. That year my village didn't have a neighborhood softball team yet. So I played for Calumet Grove, as far north as you can get, 11 miles from my village. We don't play our games there, but I once went to a team party at their Rec Center and have traveled to the VA Clinic at Mulberry now and then and occasionally play Lopez Country Club when I feel like spending 45 minutes each way on my cart. That area is not much different than what you're describing.

Big exception, they already have an existing 27 hole golf course, and Lopez is one of the best and most beautiful in the TV. It's also only one of the three courses that have a driving range. You have a Publix Shopping Center and you are within 10 to 15 minutes by cart Glenview Country Club and the Saddlebrook Softball Complex and the Polo Fields where more than polo goes on, RC airplanes, kite flying, all types of clubs and many times special events, and none involve line dancing. Did I forget the Savannah Center, the 840 seat theater where many of the shows go on during normal times. Last show I attended was Molly Hatchet last January, I like southern rock.

So if you decide not to build but to buy a resale, then take a look at the north end of the TV, the trip along Buena Vista north of the Polo Fields is like nothing else. Remember, whatever you do, don't buy a golf cart and drive it to the square.

The Villages Florida
Old 01-28-2021, 05:49 PM

Quote:

Remember, whatever you do, don't buy a golf cart and drive it to the square.

The Villages Florida
Noted.
Old 01-29-2021, 01:35 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,980 Times in 713 Posts

Welcome aboard. Looking at the map posted, we are in the #1 area.
Closed Thread

Tags
villages, love, fell, unicorns, absolutely

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.