Newbie here. Age question.

Closed Thread
Old 11-30-2018, 10:29 AM

This board is amazing!

Last edited by Cjmesk; 12-01-2018 at 06:59 AM. Reason: Last post didnt post
Old 11-30-2018, 03:12 PM

This place has to be one of the best places on earth......as I told my wife after we moved here Its like living in Hollywood, without Hollywood type of money. Wished we had been here 20 years ago.
Old 11-30-2018, 03:53 PM
Default Great business idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by VillageIdiots View Post
Yes to all of the above. There is even 1 club (at least) that is exclusive to people under 60. There are several different softball leagues and a few are age restricted - 55 and up, 68+, etc. But the recreational and neighborhood leagues are at least 50 and up or maybe even 40 and up.
Fake IDs proving you are over 55?

A bar where they demand seniors prove they are old enough to drink?

It is a real kick in the butt when the zit faced kid in McDonalds just assumes you want the senior coffee.

SERIOUSLY. just be sure you have medical insurance. You need to be 65 to get medicare. You will find that healthcare insurance will cost you about 20,000 a year.
Old 12-01-2018, 02:35 PM
Veteran member

I am under 60, and in general it’s pretty good. When joining activities you tend to find your level, which doesn’t correspond to age all that much.

I did play in a pickle ball league, and there was some discussion about someone joining who was under 50. I think they left him in the league as a sub. But if you are lining up for pickleball, or playing in private groups, age really doesn’t come into play.

There is a concern on health care. The Villages Health, which is the health organization with the most offices in the villages, will take Blue Cross and other insurances only if the patient is under 65. Once they are over 65 and qualify for Medicare they need to either go to United Healthcare or pick a doctor outside the Villages Health system. For couples who are not the same age but on the same health insurance this means once one hits 65 only one may use the Villages Health system while the other cannot until both reach 65.

Other than the health care issue, most disadvantages to be under 65 are minor. I get tired of hearing the 50s and 60s music at the squares, though they are adding in bands that play 80s and 90s music. The neighbors tend to tease me about my age. If I’m not careful in my local shopping I do end up dressing like my mother.

Oh, and pack your patience, but that really goes for all new residences of the Villages. People are retired here. Some are just not in a hurry. They might be driving a bit slower than you’d like to drive or chatting a bit long with the check out clerks at the grocery store, but they have the time, and they earned it.
Old 12-02-2018, 07:56 AM
Veteran member

Hubby and I moved here at 57. That was almost 9 years ago. We love it here. One of my closest friends is an active 89 year old, my other friends range from 59-75....Age is a state of mind. You'll be surprised by how a younger person can seem old and an older person can seem young. Ignore age and just get to know people.
Old 12-02-2018, 08:08 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by salpal View Post
Hubby and I moved here at 57. That was almost 9 years ago. We love it here. One of my closest friends is an active 89 year old, my other friends range from 59-75....Age is a state of mind. You'll be surprised by how a younger person can seem old and an older person can seem young. Ignore age and just get to know people.
Excellent advice.

I have no clue how I got to be this age. I am 29 in my thinking, about 12 in my humor and I have body parts that think the rest of me is 200.
Old 12-02-2018, 10:29 AM

Thanks for all the advice.
Old 12-03-2018, 03:24 AM

I moved here at age 61 and that was to young. This place is fine if your 65-70 years old but these people are old and it can be depressing after awhile at your young age of 55 and late 40’s.
Old 12-03-2018, 06:59 AM

We moved here 18 years ago. My husband was 60, I was 42. Plenty of activities for everyone. We love it! I would do it again in a heartbeat!
Old 12-03-2018, 07:22 AM
Default age is a state of mind

I was 54 and my husband 57 when we first came to the Villages. We were amazed by the energy and the vitality of the people who lived here compared with many of the 55 plus communities we had toured. We bought here for the lifestyle and have never regretted our decision. My husband has 80 year olds on his softball team that can put him to shame!
Old 12-03-2018, 07:31 AM

She will be sort of young compared to the rest of us😎
Old 12-03-2018, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmed59 View Post
Oh, and pack your patience, but that really goes for all new residences of the Villages. People are retired here. Some are just not in a hurry. They might be driving a bit slower than you’d like to drive or chatting a bit long with the check out clerks at the grocery store, but they have the time, and they earned it.
That would seem understandable. However, my experience is quite the opposite - it seems most here drive like they are in a great big hurry. That's likely because they spent the better part of their lives being that way and old habits are hard to break - but many times you just can't drive fast enough to stay out of everyone else's way, including on the golf cart trails.
Old 12-03-2018, 08:38 AM

I retired at age 50 in the villages and loved every minute of it so far,plenty of people that age already here.
Old 12-03-2018, 08:52 AM
Default Considering TV move also

I'm 59 and my wife is 55. We're on our way down from California in a few weeks in hopes of taking the plunge. We've done the lifestyle visit and have friends who love TV. We both work from home and don't think for a minute we'll be out of place.
Old 12-03-2018, 08:55 AM

I moved here last year at 56. I’m having a ball. There’s so much to do. I would recommend a life style visit or rent for awhile.
Closed Thread

Tags
visit, wife, semi, retirement, life

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.