Newbie here. Age question.

Closed Thread
Old 12-03-2018, 09:16 AM

I echo Gracigirl's replay. I'm 81 and work PT out of my home. Unfortunately my wife has become ill but with all the friends we have, she'll never be alone. We've been here 21 years and have seen the growth. I took up golf for the first time at 63 yr's old. If we had moved here earlier and I took up golf, I'd probably be a better golfer. Come on down, at your ages, who know what you'll accomplish.
Old 12-03-2018, 09:36 AM

I would not have moved here at 55. I was enjoying my college teaching too much and the young people I came in contact with every day. I felt it kept me young mentally and physically. Only after having a surprising heart bypass at the age of 62 did I decide to retire and live a less stressful life. Moving to The Villages gave me that, but after 13 years here, I find that I still long for snow at Christmas and more frequent contact with my children and grandchildren up north. I've found the summers here brutal, so be sure you like excessive heat and humidity before moving to Florida. In fact, before deciding to move, you might consider renting here for a summer to make sure you can take the heat. Wish I had done that. If I had it to do over, I would be a snowbird so I could enjoy the best of both worlds. The decision whether to move here permanently is a very personal one. Think it over carefully from all angles.
Old 12-03-2018, 09:40 AM
Default Age Question

I have met many Villagers that are still in their 40s. One of them is my neighbor - her husband is 50. They have non-stop fun. Literally.
Old 12-03-2018, 09:43 AM
Platinum member

I am an opposite snow bird. I live in TV from June through December and go home to Wisconsin for the winter. We bought when I was 44 (that was six years ago).

I like sharing time in both places. I find TV not terribly diverse and I miss interacting with a wider variety of people (both in color and politically) so our 50/50 split works for us. I plan on retiring completely at age 55 or 57 so for now, this works. Best of luck whatever you decide.

Sent from my SM-N920R4 using Tapatalk
Old 12-03-2018, 09:48 AM

I retire in April at 56, we just closed on our house last month, and will move after selling our house up north in a few months we have been there during July and August, it wasn't any worse temperature/humidity wise then where we live currently.

I think you will get out of the community what you put into it.
Old 12-03-2018, 10:00 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to eweissenbach

In reading this thread I am impressed and pleased to see the relatively large number of responses by people with less than ten total posts. I am happy that there is a thread that encourages response from people who rarely or never post on TOTV. Welcome to all of you whether you are regular lurkers, or total newbies!
Old 12-03-2018, 10:09 AM

Yes I would and did.
2 years ago was 55 and my wife 47.
We love it and I moved my business about 10 miles from here and if I worked from my house I would have moved sooner
Old 12-03-2018, 10:23 AM

We purchased when we were 57yrs having spent 10yrs looking for the non- existant "catch".
Wish we had done it sooner.
We have lived in the Villages watching it grow for 18yrs now, still love it !!!!
Old 12-03-2018, 11:06 AM

Hello, we placed a deposit on our land on hubby’s 55th birthday. I am 4 years younger. We built within a year but were not here full time for 5 years. We were both working full time so weren’t even snowbirds - snowflakes for 4 years. The more you furnish & personalize your home, the stronger the draw. People will tell you that you’re too young to live in the villages - shrug it off! The villages is so much bigger now that it’s becoming like any other development: it can be clique but how you deal with that is up to you. We have no regrets: love walking, biking and going to the gym. We also have our own pool now: no regrets!
Old 12-03-2018, 12:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sornoff View Post
Hello, we placed a deposit on our land on hubby’s 55th birthday. I am 4 years younger. We built within a year but were not here full time for 5 years. We were both working full time so weren’t even snowbirds - snowflakes for 4 years. The more you furnish & personalize your home, the stronger the draw. People will tell you that you’re too young to live in the villages - shrug it off! The villages is so much bigger now that it’s becoming like any other development: it can be clique but how you deal with that is up to you. We have no regrets: love walking, biking and going to the gym. We also have our own pool now: no regrets!
It isn't becoming like any other development. The Villages is unique and wonderful and does not allow small children or pink flamingoes or cars up on blocks.
Old 12-03-2018, 12:28 PM

Yes I would have moved here earlier.
Old 12-03-2018, 12:52 PM
Veteran member

State Statute, 20% of Home Owners can be under 55 years old in This kind of development
Old 12-03-2018, 01:25 PM

retired and moved here in '08...been the happiest 10 yrs of my life...soooo many things to do...but the beauty of that is you only do the things what and when you want to...over 2000 clubs...a to z...you pick...(I've had 7 really good job offers since I've been here and turned them all down)...so happy to be able to pick and choose...sure you will 222...enjoy...
Old 12-03-2018, 01:34 PM

I'm in my late 60's now and play competitive sports. I'm playing more and more against people in their late 40's to late 50's and it seems that there are more people in that age bracket moving into the newer sections. But we are all aging and it seems like only yesterday that I retired early at 53.
By the way there are folks in their 70's who can still outplay me and my body is aching more and more...so I appreciate those in their 70's and 80's who have so much energy.
Old 12-03-2018, 02:06 PM

Take a few weeks or a month and come rent a place (it’s lesstjan a hotel room) and experience it in real time that will answer the question properly.

We spent some time there two years ago and purchased our home June of 17. Best living area decision we’ve ever made.
Closed Thread

Tags
visit, wife, semi, retirement, life

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.