Newbie from Oregon

Closed Thread
Old 07-23-2022, 05:29 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,592 Times in 1,758 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by genelong View Post
Hi, all, I just moved here from Oregon. I am into personal growth, and wondering if there are any groups or people interested in topics such as psychology, co-counseling, emotional support, NVC, HAI, authentic relating, mindfulness, etc. - any interest in topics like this. Thanks.
I found the site for NVC. Hope it helps. NVC Contact Information

Here is the site for HAI. Healthcare-Associated Infections (HAIs) | HAI | CDC

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 07-24-2022, 06:33 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Are there FB groups dedicated to TV? How do I find out about them?
Do a the villages search on facebook and they’ll pop up. Also, every village has it’s own facebook group and you can “worm hole” from there.
Old 07-24-2022, 06:56 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
No, made observation when driving by it on way to Tropical Smoothie.
You must be in the northern part. I don’t even know where those places are.
Old 07-24-2022, 06:58 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
I believe it's Santo Domingo.
I’m honestly not sure where that is. I’m south and don’t venture north of Brownwood much. You’ll meet lots of people out and about.
Old 07-24-2022, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdOfFive View Post
Despite some of the commentary, people are not hostile or unfriendly; just wary.

People move here for many reasons. The climate, the company of people in like circumstances, the golf, the reasonable standard of living, whatever. But one of the primary reasons is/was to escape what all too many major cities on the East Coast, central industrial states and the West Coast have become. The wariness comes from the fear that the mindset that created the mess will be imported here.
I don't think rude and nasty posts are going to stop any mindset that comes here. There are plenty of psychology studies (to go back to the original topic) on the power of love, kindness and compassion.
Old 07-24-2022, 08:44 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelevision View Post
Wow, you eat at Golden Corral and admit it loud and proud on a forum no less?
I haven't been there in a long while, but that remark just made me crave fried chicken livers and banana pudding. Seriously.
Old 07-24-2022, 11:32 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,647 Times in 1,524 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carla B View Post
I haven't been there in a long while, but that remark just made me crave fried chicken livers and banana pudding. Seriously.
I've eaten there a couple of times. Suffice it to say that it hasn't made my top ten list.

They do have pretty good pork and sauerkraut, though.
Old 07-25-2022, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
There are many. The Villages Word of Mouth is one, it's mostly a match-up for local businesses and people looking for services at their homes but there's also occasional "conversations" as well.

The Villages, What's Happening is another, with no product advertisement allowed and no politics allowed (they're actually serious - first-time offenders are permanently banned).

The Villages Friendly Folks is a pretty big one. Religious discussion is not allowed but if you're looking for a specific religious-based club they can probably direct you to one.
Many thanks, much appreciated.
Old 07-25-2022, 03:56 PM

BTW, I'm not at all into religion OR politics - not sure where people have gotten that impression. I consider "personal growth" simply wanting to be a better person - and I would think most people would want to do that, no matter what they believe.

Anyway, I'm looking for friends more than clubs. I figure a club or group would be a good way to find those I can relate to.
Old 07-25-2022, 04:55 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,592 Times in 1,758 Posts

I am a great admirer of Benjamin Franklin who throughout his life sought self improvement. In particular I have used his pro and con lists with weighted entries when making big or important decisions.

"3. Making Decisions with a Smart Pro-and-Con List
Just when I thought I had discovered all of Franklin’s tools, I came across this letter, which arguably includes the earliest and wisest known description of a smart pro-con list for decision-making:

[M]y Way is, to divide half a Sheet of Paper by a Line into two Columns, writing over the one Pro, and over the other Con. Then during three or four Days Consideration I put down under the different Heads short Hints of the different Motives that at different Times occur to me for or against the Measure. When I have thus got them all together in one View, I endeavor to estimate their respective Weights; and where I find two, one on each side, that seem equal, I strike them both out: If I find a Reason pro equal to some two Reasons con, I strike out the three. If I judge some two Reasons con equal to some three Reasons pro, I strike out the five; and thus proceeding I find at length where the Balance lies; and if after a Day or two of farther Consideration nothing new that is of Importance occurs on either side, I come to a Determination accordingly. [Emphasis added.]"

“Tho’ I never arrived at the perfection I had been so ambitious of obtaining, but fell far short of it, yet I was, by the endeavour, a better and a happier man than I otherwise should have been if I had not attempted it.”

From: https://www.journalinghabit.com/jour...amin-franklin/

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine

Last edited by manaboutown; 07-25-2022 at 05:01 PM.
Old 07-26-2022, 08:54 AM
Sage

Manabout, thank you for publishing that. Ben Franklin indeed was a highly accomplished person. Wished I'd learned how to think pro vs. con, even without being weighted, way back then. Maybe a of impulsive moves would have been avoided.
Old 07-26-2022, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
I found the site for NVC. Hope it helps. NVC Contact Information

Here is the site for HAI. Healthcare-Associated Infections (HAIs) | HAI | CDC
Sorry, should have spelled them out. NVC = Non-Violent Communication, and HAI = Human Awareness Institute. NVC is a world-wide institute for conflict resolution, used for couples, family members, and also to defuse political tensions between parties. Excellent organization. The Center for Nonviolent Communication is at cnvc.org.
Old 07-27-2022, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdOfFive View Post
I've eaten there a couple of times. Suffice it to say that it hasn't made my top ten list.
One and done for me. Place was a zoo (not the one here). I purposely call it Gordan Coral... home of the piggery!
Old 07-28-2022, 07:00 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,647 Times in 1,524 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeycereal View Post
One and done for me. Place was a zoo (not the one here). I purposely call it Gordan Coral... home of the piggery!
First time wasn't bad (went at about 3:00 PM and not too busy). Second time was at about 11:45 AM on a Sunday and it was crowded. Hostess led us to a table that hadn't been washed, which didn't go over well (we demanded and got another one), and neither did the horseplay going on with the staff. Great that they all got along but practical joking in lieu of actually doing their jobs just doesn't cut it.

Plus the name. Golden CORRAL? doesn't elicit the best of mental images.
Closed Thread

Tags
personal, topics, growth, oregon, interest

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.