once You Buy.....Do Really Upgrade 2 Times?

Closed Thread
Old 04-10-2013, 06:39 AM
Veteran member
Default once You Buy.....Do Really Upgrade 2 Times?

We have bought a Designer Home in the Village of Fernadina and close this week.

While visiting The Villages in early March we heard numerous times that once you buy you will probably move/upgrade.........wondering if that is a typical experience of owners.........just curious?

Please share your thoughts on this subject?
Retirement has been a discovery of beauty for me. I never had enough time before to truly appreciate the beauty of my grandchild, my wife, the tree outside my very own front door. And, the beauty of time itself.
Old 04-10-2013, 06:49 AM
Gold member

Heard the same thing many times. Think it is used by real estate office to spur more home sales.
Old 04-10-2013, 06:55 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Not everyone. But SOME do.....Some move to a smaller home on the death of a spouse or just because they find they don't need the room. Some move to a lot or view they like better or to a larger house or to a home with a golf cart garage.. and certainly NOT the majority of people do this....but a goodly share..as we say in Ohio. In the village we now live in, out of 53 homes, 13 have moved from other areas in TV.

We are on our second home in a six year span.

It isn't hard to sell homes here...if they are presented correctly, clean, smoke free and priced right and it only costs $750 for McLinn Burnsed, the local law firm to handle the closing, so a lot of people sell them without a realtor.

Also the cost of labor for a move is MUCH less here than it was up north.

So if people change their minds, they can more easily change their homes.

We bought both houses without mortgages but didn't pay off the bond for that reason ONLY. So if we wanted to sell the price would be competitive to a similar new home. Who knows what new area or new model we might take a fancy to?

We all get younger and more mentally flexible every day! It's the water.
Old 04-10-2013, 07:43 AM
Eternal Member

We also built a second house. Built in Santiago in 2000 & then built in BonnyBrook in 2004. I know several people that are in their second home.
Actually a couple of people in their 3rd. home also.
Old 04-10-2013, 08:01 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
We are on our second home in a six year span. Who knows what new area or new model we might take a fancy to? We all get younger and more mentally flexible every day! It's the water.
We bought our first home in 2007 and moved in 2010 (to a resale in the same Village). I have my eye on another resale area, and have a request in with Real Estate, but don't anyone tell Fireboy.
Old 04-10-2013, 08:40 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

yep bought patio for vac home...bought cottage for snowbirding...and looking for lily for full time when it comes so yes some do
Old 04-10-2013, 09:54 AM
Eternal Member

Been in the same place going on 13 years and have no plans on moving.

Z

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 04-10-2013, 09:55 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulandjean View Post
Heard the same thing many times. Think it is used by real estate office to spur more home sales.
That's not necessarily so....we've heard it from our neighbors and other residents, and never from agents (if an agent says that, it indicates many choose the wrong place). Life stages are what make most people upsize and downsize here.

Neighbors and residents have said it because they have done it. Many buy small in the beginning because they think they'll snowbird a few years or are not yet retired. Then they bought bigger because they came here full-time, and to have more room for kids and grandchildren who visit. Then they downsized to a courtyard villa because it's "just right" for size, expenses, low maintenance and friendly neighbors who are right there when in need.

Also, some move within TV simply because they want a brand-new home that they build to their liking, and they know already that moving within TV is little or no risk.....10,000 people are retiring per day across the country, and the demand in TV for resale homes and facilities/services will continue in this unique market where TV median household income is $93,000 while the nation's is $43k and FL is $36k. The Villages Commercial Property Sales & Leasing
Old 04-10-2013, 11:40 AM
Veteran member
Default 2nd home purchase

It was true before the bubble burst. People could double or triple there money. We bought in 2006, we could sell for what we paid, maybe, but not the improvement s.
Old 04-10-2013, 01:03 PM

Of the dozen or so neighborhood families at our end of the street: One family is on their third Villages house, one family is on their second Villages house, one has moved on to their second Villages house in a newer area and one moved out of TV to be closer to the water. The rest of us are all first time home owners in TV.
Old 04-10-2013, 02:13 PM
Email Reported As Spam

I would consider selling my home to move out of TV but not within. I careful chose the size of house I needed and could care for and that was situated on a plot of land affording me some privacy. I fortunately located in a neighbor that is very active and with people who are genuine, friendly and helpful. I thank God for his many blessings.
Old 04-10-2013, 04:10 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
I would consider selling my home to move out of TV but not within. I careful chose the size of house I needed and could care for and that was situated on a plot of land affording me some privacy. I fortunately located in a neighbor that is very active and with people who are genuine, friendly and helpful. I thank God for his many blessings.
I similarly thank the Almighty, but there are other villages that may have neighbors for whom I could be equally as grateful.
Old 04-10-2013, 05:25 PM

Hi everyone--I'm replying for the first time after lurking for quite awhile so hopefully I am doing this right! Hubby and I bought our patio villa last September to be our "fun home" in The Villages. We live just 2 hours away in Fleming Island and enjoy long weekends and holidays at our Villages home as I am still teaching and will be for 2 more years. At that time we plan on buying a larger home to be our forever home in paradise. From my rather short time being a homeowner in TV I have come to the conclusion that it really doesn't matter what home you live in, you are blessed to be in such a beautiful and wonderful and fun community.
Old 04-10-2013, 05:40 PM

Our neighbor just moved out to another home - only larger.

They sold to someone - this is their third home here.

Seems like many do move more than once....
Old 04-10-2013, 05:44 PM
Sage

It may be wanderlust! or the grass is always greener! or 'cause I just wanted to.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.