Osprey

Closed Thread
Old 04-06-2011, 06:57 PM
Golden Sunrise Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by red tail View Post
I fail to see the reason for you ROFLYFAO...

As I said - this story was hearsay. I can't prove it, but I am not in the habit of lying. Doubt that I will be going to the neighbor on Ternbury Forest to see if she took photos of her pet being dragged into Lake Sumter to satisfy your warped interest...
Old 04-06-2011, 07:48 PM

At this rate my dogs are going to have to be on their
leashes for the rest of their lives. I can't believe an
eagle caught a deer.
Old 04-06-2011, 08:41 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Village of El Cortez. Before: Canada, NY, VA, AL, AK, NV, DE & France, Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastsunshine View Post
At this rate my dogs are going to have to be on their
leashes for the rest of their lives. I can't believe an
eagle caught a deer.
Happens all the time. Things like this are not news worthy, so most folks have no idea.

There was a news story a few years ago of a lady who was walking her little dog on a leash and a hawk tried to take it, and the lady held on to the leash for dear life and ran home. The dog was in the air above her head being held by the hawk. She smashed the screen door on the hawk a couple of times and he finally let go. I think it was a Yorkie. I'll try to find the story.

Here is a similar story from another forum. This happened in Florida, too. Read: http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-chat/1751274/posts

Here is a similar story from Niceville, FL. Read: http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m.../ai_n11732911/
Old 04-06-2011, 11:25 PM
Sage
Default Chihuahua almost taken by an owl in suburban Chicago

A few months ago there was a story in my local suburban Chicago newspaer about a man who was walking his chihuahua just around sunset. An owl swooped down, tried to grab the little dog, but the Chihuahua was wearing a sweater, so the owl could not get it's talons into the little dog. The dog was fine, but the owner was quite shaken up by this. This happened in a suburb about 35 miles outside of Chicago, not far from the Wisconsin border. Lucky dog.
Old 04-07-2011, 06:41 AM
Gold member
Default Stuff happens, but

you have to live your life, and not worry about everything all the time. Yes, birds of prey can kill small pets, and yes, birdfeeders can attract pests (rats, snakes, whatever), and yes, citrus trees can attract pests (rats, snakes, whatever), and gators can attack, and wasps and bees can sting.

So can cars collide and sun cause sun cancer. I know someone in his 80s who stepped in a hole on a golf course in his retirement community, broke a hip, went downhill from there, and died.

I will continue to let my dog out in the backyard, let my grandchildren play on the side patio and backyard, and feed the birds and grow my Meyer lemon and flowers.

This doesn't mean I won't drive a car, play golf, go to the pool, etc.

I will use reasonable caution doing all these things, but of course stuff can still happen - that's called life.
Old 04-07-2011, 07:12 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl View Post
you have to live your life, and not worry about everything all the time. Yes, birds of prey can kill small pets, and yes, birdfeeders can attract pests (rats, snakes, whatever), and yes, citrus trees can attract pests (rats, snakes, whatever), and gators can attack, and wasps and bees can sting.

So can cars collide and sun cause sun cancer. I know someone in his 80s who stepped in a hole on a golf course in his retirement community, broke a hip, went downhill from there, and died.

I will continue to let my dog out in the backyard, let my grandchildren play on the side patio and backyard, and feed the birds and grow my Meyer lemon and flowers.

I will use reasonable caution doing all these things, but of course stuff can still happen - that's called life.
Old 04-07-2011, 01:19 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Village of El Cortez. Before: Canada, NY, VA, AL, AK, NV, DE & France, Germany

Quote:

Yup. I agree with you Ohiogirl. Let's live our lives cheerfully and happily.

You are right -- once you have knowledge of a potential danger then you can take reasonable caution. Since learning about skin cancer, I now put on sunblock. Since learning about traffic accidents, I follow the traffic laws. Since learning that gators have to eat, I avoid them. Etc, etc.

The problem was that a lot of people didn't know that their pet needs protection from predatory birds. Now people who read this forum know, and they can choose to take action or non-action accordingly. So, please bear with me and others while we learn from each other.

If I read on TOTV that someone's beloved pet was killed by a bird, and I was too lazy or uncaring to inform people by posting to this thread, I would be guilty of contributing to their pain and the death of the pet.

So, I will also continue to let my dogs out in the yard of my CYV, and I also will grow plants and dig in the dirt, and continue to live life to the fullest. But, I will check the air space for birds first, put on my sunscreen, and wash my hands after digging in the dirt.

Oh, and I will continue to help people about their pets to the best of my ability, whether it is on TOTV or other means. It is part of my purpose in life, I think.

Now go out and kick up your heels and have fun!
Old 04-07-2011, 01:46 PM

So well said...thank you!!!
Old 04-07-2011, 03:55 PM
Veteran member

This is getting exciting! I was wondering who to report my sighting of a pack of bald eagles working in teamwork as they were carrying a full-grown moose off of Glenview Golf Course yesterday.

Bye-bye, Bullwinkle.
Old 04-07-2011, 04:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbugs View Post
This is getting exciting! I was wondering who to report my sighting of a pack of bald eagles working in teamwork as they were carrying a full-grown moose off of Glenview Golf Course yesterday.

Bye-bye, Bullwinkle.
Boy Howdy.
Old 04-07-2011, 05:12 PM
Gold member
Default You guys are a hoot

But I think you are keeping my brain waves active! (You all do know I meant skin cancer, not sun cancer, right)?
Old 04-07-2011, 07:05 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbugs View Post

Bye-bye, Bullwinkle.
Old 04-07-2011, 07:15 PM
Sage

Quote:
But I think you are keeping my brain waves active! (You all do know I meant skin cancer, not sun cancer, right)?
lol. I can so relate!

Old 04-07-2011, 08:53 PM
Golden Sunrise Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by K9-Lovers View Post
Yup. I agree with you Ohiogirl. Let's live our lives cheerfully and happily.

You are right -- once you have knowledge of a potential danger then you can take reasonable caution. Since learning about skin cancer, I now put on sunblock. Since learning about traffic accidents, I follow the traffic laws. Since learning that gators have to eat, I avoid them. Etc, etc.

The problem was that a lot of people didn't know that their pet needs protection from predatory birds. Now people who read this forum know, and they can choose to take action or non-action accordingly. So, please bear with me and others while we learn from each other.

If I read on TOTV that someone's beloved pet was killed by a bird, and I was too lazy or uncaring to inform people by posting to this thread, I would be guilty of contributing to their pain and the death of the pet.

So, I will also continue to let my dogs out in the yard of my CYV, and I also will grow plants and dig in the dirt, and continue to live life to the fullest. But, I will check the air space for birds first, put on my sunscreen, and wash my hands after digging in the dirt.

Oh, and I will continue to help people about their pets to the best of my ability, whether it is on TOTV or other means. It is part of my purpose in life, I think.

Now go out and kick up your heels and have fun!
K-9

I completely agree. Prudence is not the same as hiding out in fear of dangers. In Conn, I might look for a golf ball near the water. Here, unless I have a clear view of the water's edge (no reeds or rocks) I write off the ball as a donation and take a drop. My neighbor works at Palmer and told me that one guy went to hit a ball from the edge of one of the bonds and thought he was stepping on a stone. Boy was he surprised when it moved and thankful that he was unhurt.

k
Old 04-07-2011, 10:58 PM

Okay Folks I get it!

The bottom line is to be a prudent caretaker of our little creatures. I have two 6 pound Yorkies that could be carried away quickly.

Here in California we have coyotes that jump the fences and have taken cats and dogs away, I live in the Los Angeles area, go figure.

We will be vigilante with our babies and I thank you for your concern and information.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.