Our new home

Closed Thread
Old 07-15-2018, 02:16 PM
Location: New Hampshire soon to be The Village of Hillsborough
Default Our new home

Hello fellow Villagers ! We’ll be moving here full time in a few months and wanted to introduce myself knowing what a warm welcome I can expect. For starters, is there anything we should know first going in ?
Thanks all !
Old 07-15-2018, 02:32 PM
Location: Village of Hillsborough. (Past) Gilbertsvile, PA and Philadelphia, PA

Do not hire any landscapers and/or contractors without checking with Seniors vs Crime. There are companies that take your money and do not perform the work
Old 07-15-2018, 02:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,591 Times in 5,188 Posts

Don't pay for any services in advance, especially anything related to landscaping. Don't hire Service Smart for anything. Don't buy a water softener or filter system until you fully explore your options and decide that you really need it. You probably don't need it. If you have a new house, you probably don't need to sign any service contracts at all for awhile, except for maybe pest control, grass cutting, and fertilizing. But, again, there is no need to pay in advance or to sign an annual contract for any of these services. Pay as you go.
Old 07-15-2018, 02:41 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,591 Times in 5,188 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobh521 View Post
Do not hire any landscapers and/or contractors without checking with Seniors vs Crime. There are companies that take your money and do not perform the work
Regardless of what Seniors vs Crimes says about any company, do not pay anybody in advance. You can get work done before you pay for it. Then, you won't get ripped off, like hundreds of people who complain on this web site.
Old 07-15-2018, 02:42 PM
Sage

Don't pay a year in advance for any service especially landscaping. Don't pay the contractor up front for the work they plan to do. If they need money for materials they can deliver them to your house and then pay them for them after they give you a receipt. Don't hire a company that you have to pay in increments. All of the work we have had done we do an inspection of the work then they get paid.
Old 07-15-2018, 04:18 PM
Sage

Just know this ... the best is yet to come! Congratulations
Old 07-15-2018, 04:22 PM
Sage

Don't answer your phone unless you recognize the phone number as many vendors will be calling.

Nomorobo is a company that blocks telemarketing calls to your phone.

I would purchase the Nova Water Filtration system. Probably, a little more than $500.

I would ask your neighbors who does their lawn service and pest control.

Maybe you get a reduced rate for lawn cutting if you all use the same person.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 07-15-2018, 06:17 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,775 Times in 514 Posts

Ignore anyone who complains about every topic. There are only about 20 serial complainers but you will figure out soon who they are.

Otherwise, just love it. The place is awesome.
Old 07-15-2018, 07:04 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to eweissenbach

Welcome and enjoy! There is probably nothing that you NEED to do right away. Talk to neighbors and friends and get ideas for what to do and who you can trust. Search this forum for recommendations for any services as you can probably rely on a consensus of opinions from TOTVers. Immerse yourself in the neighborhood activities and get to know people. Try the various activities and clubs that interest you and determine those things that will make you happy long term. There is no reason not to be happy here if you have a good attitude and surround yourself with good and happy people. You have a great adventure ahead!
Old 07-15-2018, 07:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,316 Times in 2,053 Posts
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReliableSource View Post
Hello fellow Villagers ! We’ll be moving here full time in a few months and wanted to introduce myself knowing what a warm welcome I can expect. For starters, is there anything we should know first going in ?
Thanks all !
This web-site has many links about living in the Villages--

VIRGINIA TRACE, THE VILLAGES, FLORIDA
Old 07-15-2018, 08:21 PM
Platinum member

A warm welcome. Choosing to live in The Villages was the best decision we ever made. After ten years, I still love that I can drive the golf cart everywhere, the beauty of the place, the incredible options for fitness, sports, arts, town squares etc. You cannot help but love it here. Enjoy.
Old 07-15-2018, 08:32 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,470 Times in 611 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawk View Post
Ignore anyone who complains about every topic. There are only about 20 serial complainers but you will figure out soon who they are. .

I guess I'm one of the 20 Jayhawk. I never liked Count Chocula, Fruity Pebbles, or Cinnamon Toast Crunch.

Oh, I also need new reading glasses.
Old 07-16-2018, 06:21 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Don't rush into anything. Meet your neighbors, look around, explore. Listen to what others have said regarding the contractors NO MONEY UPFRONT. As for the Restaurants & other hangouts try them yourself & decide. Don't listen to the food critics. If there are places close to your home for frequent hang outs check them out. Don't rush into anything, go to your neighborhood pool, great place to meet people.
Welcome & enjoy
Old 07-16-2018, 06:57 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReliableSource View Post
Thanks all !
It might take a while, but I suggest you read all of the posts in this thread...which gives a plethora of 'opinions' for new Villagers.

Opinions/Observations/Suggestions For New Villagers (Click Here)

While some may be a bit dated, I think it still covers a lot of the questions that you may have.

And welcome to...da neighborhood(s).
Old 07-16-2018, 07:03 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanFL View Post
I guess I'm one of the 20 Jayhawk. I never liked Count Chocula, Fruity Pebbles, or Cinnamon Toast Crunch.

Oh, I also need new reading glasses.
And whatever one does, definitely stay away from these:

CDC - Do Not Eat This Cereal (Poke Here)

Quote:
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention says a popular Kellogg's cereal has been linked to a salmonella outbreak that has infected 100 people in 33 states. The CDC tweeted Thursday that customers should avoid Honey Smacks. "Do not eat this cereal," the warning read.
Closed Thread

Tags
expect, starters, news, fit, print”

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.