Peer to peer car sharing

Closed Thread
Old 01-03-2022, 01:48 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,585 Times in 932 Posts
Default Peer to peer car sharing

It looks Iike FLA might have a Peer to peer car sharing law. I am wondering if it applies to golf cars?

“The practice has been rising rapidly in popularity in the past few years, fueled by private vehicles on internet platforms such as Turo, GetAround, and Avail, which link individuals who have a vehicle to spare with visitors who would like a vehicle for a day or a few days.“
Here’s the article
Car sharing bill headed to Governor's desk

Does anyone know anything about this?
I personally would not do this, but I wonder if it is an opportunity for Villagers, especially with the tight cart rental market
Old 01-03-2022, 05:40 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,707 Times in 761 Posts

Talk to your insurance agent. Sounds like an expensive policy if they will write one at all
Old 01-03-2022, 06:05 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,585 Times in 932 Posts

It’s an interesting concept. Basically, there are platforms (apps) that allow you to rent for an hour/day/etc. The concept is in place in a number of states (I think I saw 37 states).

Here’s another article. It talks about insurance.

Both Getaround and Turo offer insurance coverage for those who use their platforms to rent out their vehicles.

“It’s protection for certain elements, certain areas of coverage for a vehicle,” said Mark Friedlander of the Insurance Information Institute. “It’s not the same as buying a commercial policy.”

That’s why most people who rent out their cars on peer-to-peer platforms should consider getting a commercial auto insurance policy, Friedlander said.

Car-Sharing Platforms Allow Users to List Personal Vehicles for Rent – NBC 6 South Florida
Old 01-04-2022, 09:48 AM

I looked into a similar scheme: fractional car ownership. 10 people pool their funds and jointly buy a used high end car like a Rolls Royse. They share ownership costs and when driving the car they pay the mileage based depreciation and maintenance. An agreed upon use schedule would fairly distribute the days available. An owner could sell his share.

This works well for large sailboats and small airplanes.

This biggest flaw is how other drivers treat the vehicle, or the cost of an owner getting a dwi or divorce.
Closed Thread

Tags
peer, vehicle, car, sharing, spare

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.