Permanent or Part Time

Closed Thread
Old 04-08-2013, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AriaGrandparents2013 View Post
We purchased a newly built Designer Home in TV and close tomorrow. Our initial intention is to retain our Massachusetts home for summer use, we live near the ocean and have easy access to some glorious beaches. That will satisfy our beach desire. During Fall and Winter our plan is to live in the new TV home with an ultimate goal of hopefully living year round in FL.

We have made arrangements with Empty Nest to monitor our TV home and have a reliable neighbor watch our Massachusetts home. Also installed a natural gas fired generator and security systems monitors interior temperature so we will have some peace of mind if Massachusetts home suffers winter power outages.

So time will tell how this all works out.
We just closed in March on a Designer in Gilchrist expecting to do the same thing as you. Where in Mass are you? Only additional problem we have is we have a 300 foot curved drive so winters are really a problem... Our plan is to be snowbirds for the next few years to get the feel of it and have a great Home Watch person for our home in TV.
Old 04-08-2013, 09:47 PM

once I get closer I will be opening a thread "any recommendations for a Home watch company in TV"
Old 04-09-2013, 06:17 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,108 Times in 1,340 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
We are also seasonal residents. Although I understand it's lovely in TV in the summer with no crowds, we prefer to spend summers where it is cooler and we can catch up with old friends.

As Bchbum said, it's good to have properties watched by professionals. We have Homewatch companies in both locations that we trust, and utilities are negligible in an unoccupied home. When the time comes, your heart will tell you what decision to make.
Who do you use for homewatch in TV. We will stay on the Chesapeake Bay for 6 months a year. We will need someone starting the middle of May.
Old 04-09-2013, 01:46 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Kid View Post
Who do you use for homewatch in TV. We will stay on the Chesapeake Bay for 6 months a year. We will need someone starting the middle of May.
There are many good companies that do home watch. I think they all charge around $40 per month for a weekly visit. They check security, take in mail, run the dishwasher, flush toilets, and they email us if there are any problems, e.g., lawn not being watered enough, ants inside the house, etc. Our company occasionally drives our golf cart around the block. If we leave in a rush and forget to turn on fans or unplug appliances, they will make sure everything on their checklist has been done.

We personally have used Village Watchdogs since 2007, 352-430-3618. We like the fact that there is more than one family involved.
Old 04-10-2013, 12:22 PM

This may be a good thread to keep going for all us 'Snowbirds" Although we are not frowned on by the FROGS since we all own, we do have a unique set of circumstances. Lets stay in touch and who knows when we get there in Jan (we arrive on the 3rd) we could have our own get-together!!.. FYI we use the Villlage Sitter and are very pleased. Will provide information if interested.
Old 04-10-2013, 02:09 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Lasher View Post

Although we are not frowned on by the FROGS since we all own, we do have a unique set of circumstances. Lets stay in touch and who knows when we get there in Jan (we arrive on the 3rd) we could have our own get-together!
Yes, Seasonal Residents do have some unique situations. Let's stay in touch!
Old 04-10-2013, 02:57 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Lasher View Post
This may be a good thread to keep going for all us 'Snowbirds" Although we are not frowned on by the FROGS since we all own, we do have a unique set of circumstances. Lets stay in touch and who knows when we get there in Jan (we arrive on the 3rd) we could have our own get-together!!.. FYI we use the Villlage Sitter and are very pleased. Will provide information if interested.
Most of us FROGS were very recently snowbirds and many of us found that leaving here to go there became harder all of the time.

You will know if and when you will change...if at all.

As you can read on this forum, there are many who seem so terribly unhappy here. I am guessing they are staying because of a spouse loving it or because to move back just seems so overwhelming.

I hate to see their unhappiness, so think and think again.
Old 04-10-2013, 03:10 PM
Veteran member

We are in a similar situation. We are sure that we want to get out of the cold in the winter. At this time we are not intending to relocate permanently to FL for several reasons. But we could change our minds in the future.

I am almost positive that we will not buy a second home in another state. Many reasons.

We will rent during winter season for a few years and see what happens.

Personally, I would not buy a home (much less a second home) unless I was really sure about my decision. I definitely would not buy because of speculation about future home prices. Price speculation would be way down on my list of motivations.
Old 04-10-2013, 03:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

I actually have been frowned on by a frog, mainly in a very crowded exercise class I attend. Someone told me, "When you snowbirds get out, we actually have a nice, quiet summer around here." The attitude on her part was that we were clogging up their lives. I guess she forgot abut the part that we're property owners who pay taxes and amentity fees all year but don't "clog" up her classes in the summer.

I just ignored it. Someone on here said, You can't fix stupid. I think sometimes you can't fix rude, either.
Old 04-10-2013, 04:29 PM

Part time for 2 more yrs and then snowbirds until we decide to move there full time.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.