Permanent or Part Time

Closed Thread
Old 04-06-2013, 08:42 PM
Default Permanent or Part Time

I too am on the 2-3 year plan.

I see many people buying houses now - some new, some resale. I would like to get some opinions to see if those that are buying now (or recently) plan to live in TV permanetly as soon as the house is built or sale closed, or if you plan to have this house and be a "snow bird".

That is what my struggle is - not sure I'm willing to give up my home "up north" yet.

Karen
Old 04-06-2013, 09:14 PM
Send a message via AIM to LynnDeb
Default Buying in TV

Hi Karen,
It all depends on your finances, comfort level, etc...We couldnt afford to keep our home up North and personally just saying what I feel....I dont think I would be comfortable owning up North and here, I'd worry about the house in the different states......
Old 04-06-2013, 09:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Why don't you wait and see how you feel after you close--if you can keep your house up north, that is.

We intended to be snowbirds when we arrived here in Feb of 2012. Summers in MI and 8 months down here. More and more, we don't want to leave here. We've just rally settled in. We will put our place in MI up for sale this summer.

Your feelings can change. It's nice if you can keep two places for a bit before making a decision.
Old 04-06-2013, 09:22 PM

I see you lived in Pittsburgh - that is where I am (well in the suburbs). This is where my family is too
Karen
Old 04-06-2013, 09:22 PM

I still have to research to see how to add more info to my signature
Old 04-06-2013, 09:33 PM
Location: Ft. Lauderdale - New Castle,PA - Overland Park, KS - Palm Bay, FL - Village of Charlotte

We moved here recently. We are here fulltime and the family is still in Western PA. It was 75 here today and 37 in PA. It was an easy decision.
Old 04-06-2013, 09:43 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by klc1923 View Post
I see you lived in Pittsburgh - that is where I am (well in the suburbs). This is where my family is too
Karen
Yes, we were born and raised there, Point Breeze, Edgewood, Churchill, and that will always be home to me. Nobody understands how hard it is to leave that city. We had to leave for a Westinghouse transfer. Part of our plan when we sell the condo in MI is to rent the apartment we had on the Allegheny River across from downtown for a month each summer. It is in a complex that has a lot of corporate rentals available for 3 days to 6 months, and they are dog friendly.

What suburb are you in? We still have family and friends there too.
Old 04-06-2013, 10:40 PM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

klc1923 - we bought here knowing that we will never be permanent residents and that it is okay to be a snowbird! with that in mind, we arrange to have our properties watched by trusted professionals. here in the villages there are very good property managers and home watch businesses who can relieve you of much worry when you are not here. they provide periodic reports to you and are quick to notify you of a problem - if not resolve it for you before you even find out there was a problem. their services provide peace of mind at a reasonable expense.

Old 04-07-2013, 06:05 AM
Veteran member

We purchased a newly built Designer Home in TV and close tomorrow. Our initial intention is to retain our Massachusetts home for summer use, we live near the ocean and have easy access to some glorious beaches. That will satisfy our beach desire. During Fall and Winter our plan is to live in the new TV home with an ultimate goal of hopefully living year round in FL.

We have made arrangements with Empty Nest to monitor our TV home and have a reliable neighbor watch our Massachusetts home. Also installed a natural gas fired generator and security systems monitors interior temperature so we will have some peace of mind if Massachusetts home suffers winter power outages.

So time will tell how this all works out.
Retirement has been a discovery of beauty for me. I never had enough time before to truly appreciate the beauty of my grandchild, my wife, the tree outside my very own front door. And, the beauty of time itself.
Old 04-07-2013, 10:26 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

if you can afford two homes and sleep at night then go for it we took money out of our income every month for two years that would equal to what the house would cost in tv....when we were comfortable with that we bought...and if you need to rent to pay all the bills you need to rethink, after all things change and its not worth sitting up every nite hoping you are rented
Old 04-07-2013, 02:29 PM
Gold member
Location: Northfield IL, Tampa FL, Norway, Boynton Beach FL, Highland Park IL, Gilchrist soon!

I purchased and built here, thinking I would "winter for 6 or 7 months" and head back to the Chgo area for summer. I find I have no real desire to be a homeowner up north after my first winter here enjoying all the wonderful amenities TV has to offer. So I plan now to list my home in Chicago, travel a bit thru the summer months and "come home" to The Villages. Some will never think of this as their home, some will spend half their time here and half somewhere else, and some less than that! But in the grand scheme of things, each will make the decision which suits them best! There is no right or wrong and you will at some point decide what is right for you

Wherever I am is where I'm supposed to be
Old 04-07-2013, 02:39 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Assume you can afford to keep both homes.
If you have someone to take care of your Northern home than I could see keeping it for a year or two. If you have to hire someone to keep it up then I would lean toward selling. You would also have to hire someone to maintain your TV home while you are gone but I think that would be easier to do in TV than where you live.
I can see buying in TV, moving and then selling your house as an easier way to go than selling and then buying in TV.
Old 04-07-2013, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post

What suburb are you in? We still have family and friends there too.
We are in Robinson - out by the airport

Karen
Old 04-07-2013, 03:32 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by njbchbum View Post
klc1923 - we bought here knowing that we will never be permanent residents and that it is okay to be a snowbird! with that in mind, we arrange to have our properties watched by trusted professionals. here in the villages there are very good property managers and home watch businesses who can relieve you of much worry when you are not here. they provide periodic reports to you and are quick to notify you of a problem - if not resolve it for you before you even find out there was a problem. their services provide peace of mind at a reasonable expense.
We are also seasonal residents. Although I understand it's lovely in TV in the summer with no crowds, we prefer to spend summers where it is cooler and we can catch up with old friends.

As Bchbum said, it's good to have properties watched by professionals. We have Homewatch companies in both locations that we trust, and utilities are negligible in an unoccupied home. When the time comes, your heart will tell you what decision to make.
Old 04-07-2013, 04:25 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrodgirl View Post
........But in the grand scheme of things, each will make the decision which suits them best! There is no right or wrong and you will at some point decide what is right for you
Ditto!

Bill
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.