Pickleball Question

Closed Thread
Old 12-09-2008, 10:29 PM
Default Pickleball Question

Coming to the Villages for Feb and Mar. Never played pickleball but it looks like a lot of fun. Do I have to purchase racquets or are they supplied at the courts?
Dave in snowy Ontario, Canada
Old 12-09-2008, 10:35 PM
Thumbs up Pickle ball wanna be.

I dont have the answer but since our preview visit in Sept I have been motivated to get into shape. Played tennis until my husbands knees got old. But we both think we could play pickle ball and love it. Cannot wait til TV is our home. 5 years away. Good luck to you and enjoy your visit.
Old 12-09-2008, 11:49 PM

Paddles are available in the equipment sheds at the various facilities BUT they are wooden and, while you can play the game with them, you are much better off using graphite or fiberglass.

However, graphite paddles were ordered in error for Coconut Cove and are available at that rec center's front desk.

Would suggest you take the beginners classes at a rec center to understnad, learn, and play the game.

It's addictive. If you decide to buy paddles, they are about $50. and are availalbe at Market Night at LSL and a few other outlets around TV.

Shoes are the most important equipment, however. Bring or get a pair of good court shoes. Don't play in running shoes, walking shoes, cross trainers, etc. These shoes will grab the court and you'll take a pretty good tumble (trust me on this). The tennis pro shop at Glenview sells Wilson court shoes for $35.
Old 12-10-2008, 10:29 AM

Would highly suggest you take the "beginner program" offered by TV (free). The rules and scoring are definately different than anything you have played. Look in the Daily Sun thursday rec guide (also available at the large rec centers) for days and times. There are three levels:
First : beginner lesson ... a one time deal
Second: beginner structured play....usually 2 to 3 times
Third: beginner organized ....you can go as many times as you need.

You must call and sign up for the first two at the rec center where they will be held. I would try and call a week ahead of time. Pickleball in the villages is huge. We have 96 courts.

jeffy
Old 12-10-2008, 02:51 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2boomers View Post
Coming to the Villages for Feb and Mar. Never played pickleball but it looks like a lot of fun. Do I have to purchase racquets or are they supplied at the courts?
Dave in snowy Ontario, Canada
Dave, it IS a lot of fun! It's kind of like tennis, without all the running. Definitely take the lessons. I think the hardest part of pickleball is keeping score. If you let me know which rec center you'll be near I can tell you which days they offer the lessons and what number to call. I have the pickleball schedule on the fridge.

If you whine enough, the teacher will let you borrow his racquet so you can compare the wood one to the fancy one. There's a big difference!
Bossier City, Louisiana
Salt Lake City & Ogden, Utah
The Villages, Florida
Old 12-19-2010, 05:07 PM
Default Pickleball Racquet Question

Does anyone know if there are any stores in The Villages area that sells pickleball racquets? I'd like a good one---lightweight with a good grip. (I know they are available on-line but I'd like to see them and perhaps try them out!) Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 12-19-2010, 05:18 PM
Veteran member
Location: Clinton, CT Sarasota, FL, The Villages - July 10, 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosalie View Post
Does anyone know if there are any stores in The Villages area that sells pickleball racquets? I'd like a good one---lightweight with a good grip. (I know they are available on-line but I'd like to see them and perhaps try them out!) Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks.
Pickleball booth at Market nights at both LSL & SS.
Golf USA in SS has them and SKI USA at Marion Market.

I'm sure there are others.
_
Old 12-19-2010, 07:02 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mallory View Post
Shoes are the most important equipment, however. Bring or get a pair of good court shoes. Don't play in running shoes, walking shoes, cross trainers, etc. These shoes will grab the court and you'll take a pretty good tumble (trust me on this). The tennis pro shop at Glenview sells Wilson court shoes for $35.

I'll second that! The first time my wife, a former 3.5 tennis player until she twisted her knee, went on a pickle ball court she didn't have court shoes and she stumbled and pulled a muscle. She didn't get on a pickle ball court until the next winter (and then you couldn't get her off of it).

Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Old 12-19-2010, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpop1 View Post
Pickleball booth at Market nights at both LSL & SS.
Golf USA in SS has them and SKI USA at Marion Market.

I'm sure there are others.
_
Pickleball paddles are only sold at LSL on Tuesday and Thursday nights . . . they no longer sell them at Spanish Springs. The owners of Ski USA in Marion Market sell paddles and are players of the game plus they are Village residents!
I'd also advise you to purchase the video by Coach Mo (sold at Ski USA and Son-Rise Cafe) . . . best instructional video on pickleball there is.

www.pickleballcoach.com
Old 12-19-2010, 10:46 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckinca View Post
I'll second that! The first time my wife, a former 3.5 tennis player until she twisted her knee, went on a pickle ball court she didn't have court shoes and she stumbled and pulled a muscle. She didn't get on a pickle ball court until the next winter (and then you couldn't get her off of it)..
I'm glad she's recovered. I'm surprised that she didn't just wear her tennis shoes or are they a different thing all together?
Old 12-20-2010, 12:16 AM
Sage

Different things -

She wore a pair of her many different types of sneaker/tennis/running/training/etc type shoes.

Court shoes (real tennis shoes) are basically smooth bottoms with indentations for traction.

Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.