The Plan

Closed Thread
Old 12-19-2014, 12:13 PM
Default The Plan

Hi All,

First let me say, great website and forum.

I’m a single 60 year old male, recently retired, currently living in Massachusetts.

I am in the process of scouting out a permanent retirement residence in the Central Florida area, and anticipate spending some time in the area after the holidays to do some onsite reconnaissance.

Based on my remote research thus far, I am very interested in The Villages as a potential area to reside. Having booked a two-week stay in an Orlando timeshare, from Feb. 07-21, I would like to visit The Villages during my stay and get a feel for the area and lifestyle.

Some questions…
In addition to the trolley tour and speaking with the development’s sales consultants, how can I best spend my time to get some real perspective?

Without a guest pass, am I still able to use the restaurants and bars in town and visit the clubhouses? Suggestions?

While there, I would also like to visit some homes, especially potential rentals, as my plan is for a longer stay of 1-6 months in May (when rental rates are lower). This should allow me to acquire sufficient intel regarding The Villages as a place to settle permanently and a desired area/village to settle in.

In the meantime, I would welcome any information regarding most and least desirable villages to concentrate on. I am estimating a $60-65K per year spending budget adjusted for inflation.

Would also welcome any recommendations on best realtors to work with, both Villages realtors and independent MLS realtors specializing in The Villages.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Alan
ADR0317
Old 12-19-2014, 03:32 PM
Sage

Buy a map. TV is huge and it's easy to get lost when new. If you take the trolley tour, I think you can get a map there. $5.

Get a copy of the Daily Sun newspaper and look for the open houses listing. This will give you a chance to actually look at the homes available. You can see many different types of homes in TV. That will help you when you look for available rentals, so you will know what size dwelling you are considering.

You will be able to visit the restaurants, country clubs and rec centers without an ID. You will not be able to participate in any of the activities within, though. Stay long enough to enjoy the entertainment at the town squares, which is free.

As far as desirable villages, there are as many opinions as there are villages. Except for most of the Premier neighborhoods and the "historic" section, the each village is a collection of different home styles and prices. Within each village you will find villas, cottages/ranch homes, and designers. What mostly sets villages apart is their proximity to the golf courses, rec centers, town squares, or shopping. I find most people think the village they live in is the best. Some prefer to be near the squares, some prefer to be away from them. Unlike some other planned communities, there are not entire villages that are high end, while others are more modest. Mostly it's a mix. P

New construction is sold only through TV sales staff. Resales are done through TV sales staff as well as outside realtors. Having dealt with no outside realtors, I cannot give a recommendation on those. As far as the TV sales staff, I found absolutely no pressure when looking at homes.
Old 12-19-2014, 03:47 PM
Sage
Smile

I think it would be good to contact a Villages Realtor so that you may visit some open houses. As a newbie it may be difficult to find your way around the neighborhoods to find the open houses. They also can offer you information useful to you in making your decision.
Old 12-20-2014, 10:18 PM
Veteran member

We worked with 2 realtors while we were there recently - I would highly recommend them both - Michael O'Rourke from the Villages staff and Lyle Gant for the MLS. We ended up buying a New home rather than preowned, but I would work with both. Wish I could have bought a house from each one.
BTW - we were there for 4 days on a lifestyle preview and were only asked once for our card - to buy a magnet! The only issue will be you won't have a gatepass to get in each village, but just pull up and tell the gaurd you are thinking about buying there, and they will let you pass. Have fun. We sure did.
Old 12-21-2014, 07:05 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADR0317 View Post
Hi All,

I’m a single 60 year old male, recently retired, currently living in Massachusetts.

I am in the process of scouting out a permanent retirement residence in the Central Florida area, and anticipate spending some time in the area after the holidays to do some onsite reconnaissance.

Based on my remote research thus far, I am very interested in The Villages as a potential area to reside. Having booked a two-week stay in an Orlando timeshare, from Feb. 07-21, I would like to visit The Villages during my stay and get a feel for the area and lifestyle.

Some questions…
In addition to the trolley tour and speaking with the development’s sales consultants, how can I best spend my time to get some real perspective?

Without a guest pass, am I still able to use the restaurants and bars in town and visit the clubhouses? Suggestions?

While there, I would also like to visit some homes, especially potential rentals, as my plan is for a longer stay of 1-6 months in May (when rental rates are lower). This should allow me to acquire sufficient intel regarding The Villages as a place to settle permanently and a desired area/village to settle in.

In the meantime, I would welcome any information regarding most and least desirable villages to concentrate on. I am estimating a $60-65K per year spending budget adjusted for inflation.

Would also welcome any recommendations on best realtors to work with, both Villages realtors and independent MLS realtors specializing in The Villages.

Alan
ADR0317
1. Visit the squares and talk to anyone and everyone you come into contact with. Don't be afraid as people are friendly and love to tell their story.
2. You can use the bars, restaurants, stores and movie theaters without a guest pass. Movies may charge a little more without the resident I.D. When you rent, a guest pass should be provided to you and that lets you use everything except the golf courses. You will need to pay $50 to get the all encompassing pass.
3. You may want to consider renting for 3 months as you will know way before then if you want to live here. If you want a great lifestyle, there is no other place like TV. You can stop doing your research. IMHO
4. On 60K to 65K, you will live very comfortably in TV. A lot of people do it with less. As the joke says, "you can live like a king, here king, here king.
5. There are no bad villages, they are all great. Some may be more to your liking than others, as they may be closer to doctors, shopping, rec centers, golf courses, etc. Everything is accessible by golf cart, (100 miles of golf cart paths).
6. I used Linda Sears as a MLS. 352.205.0713. As far a a VLS agent, everyone will tell you someone, they loved. Just find one that you are comfortable with, and if not, call the sales office, and change the agent. You will not want to waste time, once you decide TV, is right for you.

You might want to come to Crispers on the third Friday of any month, and you will meet people from this forum. Also posted on the "calendar" tab. Go the "singles" group tab, and see what is happening as far as events to attend.

Best wishes.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 12-21-2014, 07:17 AM
Gold member

bring a Garmin, it will svae you from getting too lost

"I wish I didn't know now, what I didn't know then"
-Bob Seger-
Old 12-21-2014, 07:17 AM
Veteran member

PM'd you.

Drank the Kool-Aid and now own a home in Tamarind Grove. Yippee!!
Old 12-21-2014, 08:44 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Be prepared to fall in love.

Do you remember the Wizard of Oz, the movie? The first part of the movie was all in black and white, the storm, the witch, the aunt and uncle?

Then Dorothy steps into OZ....and the color comes on, the lights go up, the music swells and the tingling begins.

That is how The Villages are...you drive from rural Florida, from patchy prettiness and patchy not so niceness to bah-boom.........miles and miles of beautiful and well kept lawns and trimmed bushes, no trash ANYWHERE, and nothing but lovely homes, sometimes so similar you could easily get lost..... And lovely mature people, riding their bikes or running or riding in their over 50 thousand very individualized golf carts. Those people will be playing golf, pickleball, tennis, basketball, swimming, bowling, even roller blading and rowing in Dragon boats or watching Polo. We have our own Polo Stadium, take that Ralph Lauren.

There are three town units, each more beautiful than the last and dropped from a magical and fictional past with more than Disney cleverness.

The best village is the one that belongs to the person you ask and they are telling the truth. Except mine is really the best and so is Hadley where we had our first house here. BUT my dear friends all live in the best village too.

You will find grown up people of about your age living in all of them and growing younger every day. They belong to some of over two thousand clubs, one of the best being THE CINCINNATI CLUB. People talk funny here and it takes a bit to figure it all out. I heard someone order Kawfee at Panera's and my treasured friend MaryB pahks her cah.

The folks from the coast think they are smarter than the ones from the middle, but they are wrong, and there are healthy debates about that and almost every subject because we are all old enough to be damn sure about what we think. And old enough to not let debate ruin our days. Most of us are funny and fun and nice and patient and feisty too. I like senior people. They have something to talk about.

AND we are aware that the years behind us are greater than the years ahead of us, and most of us are treasuring and enjoying every wonderful day in this lower Paradise.

Hurry.....and Welcome HOME.

No. I don't work for the developer. I LOVE THE VILLAGES.

Last edited by graciegirl; 12-22-2014 at 05:58 AM.
Old 12-21-2014, 10:26 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,558 Times in 507 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Be prepared to fall in love.

Do you remember the Wizard of Oz, the movie? The first part of the movie was all in black and white, the storm, the witch, the aunt and uncle?

Then Dorothy steps into OZ....and the color comes on, the lights go up, the music swells and the tingling begins.

That is how The Villages are...you drive from rural Florida, from patchy prettiness and patchy not so niceness to bah-boom.........miles and miles of cut lawn and trimmed bushes, placed in color and shape harmony with each other, ...and thousands and thousand of well kept homes so similar you can easily get lost. And lovely mature people, riding their bikes or in one of the 50 thousand or more golf carts, or running along the paths.

There are three town units, each more beautiful than the last and dropped from a magical and fictional past with more than Disney cleverness.

The best village is the one that belongs to the person you ask and they are telling the truth. Except mine is really the best and so is Hadley where we had our first house here. BUT my dear friends all live in the best village too.

You will find grown up people of about your age living in all of them and growing younger every day. They belong to some of over two thousand clubs, one of the best being THE CINCINNATI CLUB. People talk funny here and it takes a bit to figure it all out. I heard someone order Kawfee at Panera's and my treasured friend MaryB pahks her cah.

The folks from the coast think they are smarter than the ones from the middle, but they are wrong, and there are healthy debates about that and almost every subject because we are all old enough to be damn sure about what we think.

AND we are aware that the years behind us are greater than the years ahead of us, and most of us are treasuring and enjoying every wonderful day in this lower Paradise.

Hurry.....and Welcome HOME.

No. I don't work for the developer. I LOVE THE VILLAGES.
Bravo, GG. Excellent post on describing it here. As I've said many times before, IN-FREAKING-CREDIBLE here!!
Old 12-21-2014, 06:14 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADR0317 View Post
Hi All,

Some questions…

Alan
ADR0317
Try The Villages 4 Rent, Rentals in The Villages for rentals. Might try and meet the owner of the rental while you are there.
Old 12-21-2014, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packer Fan View Post
We worked with 2 realtors while we were there recently - I would highly recommend them both - Michael O'Rourke from the Villages staff and Lyle Gant for the MLS. We ended up buying a New home rather than preowned, but I would work with both. Wish I could have bought a house from each one.
BTW - we were there for 4 days on a lifestyle preview and were only asked once for our card - to buy a magnet! The only issue will be you won't have a gatepass to get in each village, but just pull up and tell the gaurd you are thinking about buying there, and they will let you pass. Have fun. We sure did.
Actually, since the roads in The Villages are all public roads, the guards have no authority to stop anyone from using them. If you want to enter through a gate that has no guard, simply use the left lane and push the button on the card reader and the gate will open automatically. Be sure to watch for golf carts passing across the road after you pass the gate. They are supposed to yield to cars, but that doesn't mean that all of them will.

Enjoy your stay in The Villages.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.