New Forum Member

Closed Thread
Old 02-23-2013, 01:49 PM
Default New Forum Member

I just joined this forum, as my wife and I are beginning the retirement search. She retired 3 years ago, but unfortunately I have another 5 to go. This may be little to early to start researching where we are going to retire, but time goes by quick and who knows, we may hit the lottery...lol..

Does anyone have any ideas when we should make our first visit for research? I am retired Air Force and spent some time in the Panhandle. We currently live in Vancouver, Washington.
Old 02-23-2013, 01:58 PM
Sage

Welcome to TOTV!!

It's never too early to start researching TV and planning a visit. Much to learn and see - it can take some time to really get your mind around it all!

And who knows? You might see TV and alter your current retirement plans!

Bill
Old 02-23-2013, 02:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Yes, welcome! You have time to schedule several vacations here. You'll learn some new pieces of the place each time, and by the time you've made up your mind, you'll know where, and in what, you would live if you choose Tv.
Old 02-23-2013, 04:32 PM

We are from Olympia, WA and are retired from the federal aNd state govt. we are snowbirds and built a house and stay here Oct. -May. The Villages is heaven after the WA rain and clouds. Just to get up to sunshine every morning is wonderful. We spent a month renting here last spring. I suggest you spend your vacation here a few times. Prices are definitely going up. So if you like it, you may want to buy sooner and rent your home out. We just heard of the Villages 1/2012 and visited for 1/2 day. Spent April here and bought. There is some sort of 'aura' about the place. It is amazingly relaxing even though you can do things all day.

You may also want to visit some surrounding retirement communities where you get more house for the $$ but less activities though you can still use some of the Villages activities if you don't live here.

Come on down and get out of that rain!!
Old 02-23-2013, 06:55 PM
Sage

Some peoplle buy in retirement communities that have a bigger house for the money but you will never be the same after a visit to TV.

I would read everything on this site as Bill said, you should start to plan your retirement now as their are a lot of factors to consider. It's better to ease into retirement and have a plan with what you are going to do with your time.
TV offers a thousand different activities so if you a somewhat social person and love being around positive people, the TV is for you.

You will need to schedule a LSV and then you can see what we are talking about. Words cannot do it justice. Be prepared the be blown away by the beauty of TV and it's people.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 02-24-2013, 08:24 PM

I studied the Villages for 10 years, read everything I could get my hands on...finally, visited 3 times and last june found a wonderful house at a wonderful price even though we cannot retire for 50 months but who is counting?

sonja
Old 02-24-2013, 10:12 PM
Sage

dndlion, You have the time to rent in different villages if you are able to visit TV a time or two each year until you are ready to retire. You may want to rent in TV during the summer to see how you and your wife handle the Florida climiate in the summer. This is the forum to visit and post questions to if you need information about moving to TV. Good luck in your search and welcome to TOTV.
Old 03-29-2013, 03:38 PM

Well it has gone from 5 years to the 3 or 4 range. We plan on visiting sometime next year. We would go this year, but my Mom is currently in hospice so we have to keep our schedules open...We did live in Panama City for 5 years, so the summer heat should not be a problem..
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.