PODS location

Closed Thread
Old 06-30-2021, 07:26 AM

Mine was on the street in front of my home, no infringement for drivers. It was there for 4 days. My drive had pavers and drivers said he did not think it was a good idea on the drive.
Old 06-30-2021, 07:43 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,841 Times in 778 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller703 View Post
Where are PODS dropped off for unloading? Are they placed on the street or in the driveway? How long are they allowed to be there?
A couple weeks ago I tried to order up a POD in Allentown, PA, about 1050 miles from The Villages. I was told none would be available for six weeks, and it would cost $4,000 for a 10’ POD. So I called up U-Haul and rented a truck with a 10 foot box for a week or so later. Rental with insurance and taxes was $2250, and gas at 12 miles a gallon was about $300. I picked up the truck Thursday morning, and my son and I loaded it to the gills, mostly with books, CDs, DVDs, and bookcases. And one chair. I left the Allentown area at 3:30, spent the night in Roanoke, and parked in my driveway in The Villages at 7:30 Friday evening. It took 2 1/2 hours to unload the truck and, using my hand truck, wheel the boxes into the house. Then I swept and mopped the truck, showered, turned in the truck, and was home by noon. Driving a truck that short is easy—it uses a regular parking place! Lots of power. Pretty comfortable. I just wish it had cruise control.

Now I’m a frog—here till I croak.
Old 06-30-2021, 08:22 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandoMan View Post
A couple weeks ago I tried to order up a POD in Allentown, PA, about 1050 miles from The Villages. I was told none would be available for six weeks, and it would cost $4,000 for a 10’ POD. So I called up U-Haul and rented a truck with a 10 foot box for a week or so later. Rental with insurance and taxes was $2250, and gas at 12 miles a gallon was about $300. I picked up the truck Thursday morning, and my son and I loaded it to the gills, mostly with books, CDs, DVDs, and bookcases. And one chair. I left the Allentown area at 3:30, spent the night in Roanoke, and parked in my driveway in The Villages at 7:30 Friday evening. It took 2 1/2 hours to unload the truck and, using my hand truck, wheel the boxes into the house. Then I swept and mopped the truck, showered, turned in the truck, and was home by noon. Driving a truck that short is easy—it uses a regular parking place! Lots of power. Pretty comfortable. I just wish it had cruise control.

Now I’m a frog—here till I croak.
The Northeast is emptying out, If you try to get one right now, good luck. Did you look at the price of a Uhaul from FL to PA? I'm guessing about $650

In February, we ordered our pod for a May 23 drop off to NJ and a pickup of June 21, with a final delivery June 29. They were already talking about constraints last year, so we planned way ahead. We got a 16 footer and it was $3400 and that's with 2 month rental since we couldn't make 1 month work for us.
Old 06-30-2021, 08:49 AM

Driveway. I called Quality Movers and they unloaded for me. Also placed furniture in the house. They were excellent. But then again I also had 4 PODs. Two at a time. Had dates arranged ahead of time and so each group of 2 were in the driveway for less then a week each.

The furniture went into the house and the majority of boxes in the garage. By doing that I could unload the boxes easily and still had a livable house.

Also when I moved I also used a LOT of strapping and tie downs.
Old 06-30-2021, 03:30 PM

Driveway. We had 2 PODS they lost one for 5 weeks from Safety Harbor Fl to here. We'll never use them again.
Old 06-30-2021, 04:11 PM

Sounds like a pizza and beer party to me.
Old 06-30-2021, 04:16 PM

Looks like a buy my crap sale in the making!!!!
Old 06-30-2021, 09:00 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller703 View Post
Where are PODS dropped off for unloading? Are they placed on the street or in the driveway? How long are they allowed to be there?
My experience, 3 1/2 years ago, was that it was brought from Ocala storage to my driveway. I had it unpacked and left it in my driveway as I traveled back to NJ for Thanksgiving. I didn’t realize that they needed advance notice to pick it up so I suggest arranging that ASAP. I moved into a new community and everyone was very tolerant of the delay. That may not be the case in an older community. Welcome to The Villages!
Closed Thread

Tags
pods, dropped, allowed, long, driveway

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.