Pool or no pool

Closed Thread
Old 07-01-2017, 05:17 PM
Default Pool or no pool

Wife and I are undecided about buying a Villages house with a pool. Can anyone let me know advantages, disadvantages, costs involved?
Thanks,
Guy
Old 07-01-2017, 06:55 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by glomonac View Post
Wife and I are undecided about buying a Villages house with a pool. Can anyone let me know advantages, disadvantages, costs involved?
Thanks,
Guy
No disadvantages, a pool will make you and wife happy ! Get the biggest one you can find, which would be concrete. Lots of blue speckles in that shot-crete.
Old 07-01-2017, 07:46 PM

A Pool is great IF YOU USE IT. We had a pool in our first house and never used it because we were so busy. It is a money pit any way you look at it. Bought our 2nd and 3rd house and would not have a pool. With so many pools near by, why do the work or spend the money for maintainance. Just my thoughts
Old 07-01-2017, 07:48 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,307 Times in 541 Posts

Its a personal decision and depends on what you want. As far as needing a pool that is a different question. There will be a pool close to wherever you decide to purchase in TV. It will be heated in the winter and well maintained. Had pools in the past and no longer wanted the maintenance. It's a good place to socialize or just go swim/sunbathe or read a book. Cost wise it depends on how elaborate you want to go. I've heard 70,000 will buy you an average pool covered with a birdcage. Some I've seen here are obviously more expensive. To each his own....
Old 07-01-2017, 08:38 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

Definition of a pool - "a hole in the ground to pour your money into". Having owned one before (yes, in Arkansas we had in-ground pools), it's just my opinion.

There's just so many pools in TV that you can use to justify the cost of building and maintaining one. Again, just my opinion..........
Old 07-01-2017, 08:42 PM

We are in our second house & it has a pool. I wouldn't buy another home without one. It is a personal choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 07-01-2017, 08:45 PM
Sage
Default Get the pool!

If you think you will use a pool...get it! Here in Florida they are not a money pit as someone else stated. We have a large pool, 16x32 and we use it practically every day when it's warm enough. We have lived here for 5 years and still love our pool. We said even if we moved to a different house we would still have a pool as long as its in a sub tropical or tropical place. We have T&D care for it weekly and it's been wonderful. Nothing like stepping out your back door and jumping in your own pool...day or night.

A pool in a cooler climate is a waste of money. We had one when we lived in NYS and said never again unless we didn't have to open and close it. Perfect here in Florida.
Old 07-01-2017, 08:46 PM

We love our pool, use it all the time. Also put in a hot tub, we use it just as much as the pool. We had T & D design our pool, hot tub and outside area when we were building our house. Did an outstanding job!
Old 07-01-2017, 09:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,107 Times in 2,235 Posts

We went with just a hot tub, as the pool is 2 blocks away. I use the hot tub 2 4 times a week, and love it. I also turn off the heaters during the summer, and use it to cool off.
Old 07-01-2017, 09:23 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

With a pool you will always have a water view.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
Old 07-01-2017, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-Town View Post
With a pool you will always have a water view.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

[emoji1303]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 07-01-2017, 11:23 PM
Platinum member
Talking Get a Spa

Have owned a house with a pool for 33 years. If I added up all the days that I have actually been IN the pool it would probably amount to about one year.

When the kids were pre-teens they used it some, and had friends over, usually for a birthday party.

Sometimes we had pool side cookouts, like the 4th of July, and maybe someone would get in the pool.

It could be pleasant to sit beside the pool at twilight on a Summer evening with no lights except the pool lights casting their blue-green light against the pool screen.

But............. on more than one occasion I have seriously considered either tearing it out or filling it with dirt and making it into a garden. Maintenance can be expensive. And, if you own it long enough you will have to have it re-plastered, which is expensive.

If I were just starting out, I would opt for a very nice spa, and go to the neighborhood pool when I wanted pool time. Even the spa will require close regulation of the chemical balance and other attention.
Old 07-02-2017, 06:29 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl in Tampa View Post
Have owned a house with a pool for 33 years. If I added up all the days that I have actually been IN the pool it would probably amount to about one year.

When the kids were pre-teens they used it some, and had friends over, usually for a birthday party.

Sometimes we had pool side cookouts, like the 4th of July, and maybe someone would get in the pool.

It could be pleasant to sit beside the pool at twilight on a Summer evening with no lights except the pool lights casting their blue-green light against the pool screen.

But............. on more than one occasion I have seriously considered either tearing it out or filling it with dirt and making it into a garden. Maintenance can be expensive. And, if you own it long enough you will have to have it re-plastered, which is expensive.

If I were just starting out, I would opt for a very nice spa, and go to the neighborhood pool when I wanted pool time. Even the spa will require close regulation of the chemical balance and other attention.
We had a pool when our kids were young, it was great I knew where they were all the time, and I also knew where all the neighborhood kids were all the time., and we had some great adult parties which went well into the night!!! But, now at my age, I am done with pools, and if I want to swim I have the choice of many pools here - thank you TV.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 07-02-2017, 06:45 AM
Platinum member

We've had our pool eight years and our only expense is weekly cleaning (around $22) and electricity for the pump. We have a small pool so we only run the pump 4 hours a day and the cost is negligible. I think we're overdue for a pump but so far so good. I like the aesthetics of the pool as well as having it there to cool off in the summer. It also gets reflections of the sunset which we enjoy.
Old 07-02-2017, 08:31 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,349 Times in 2,389 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by glomonac View Post
Thanks,
Guy
Using the search function on this site, resulted in these threads:
Pools
Looking for recommendation on pool builders
T&D or All Seasons Pools?
Would like recomendations on pool installations..

Tags
pool, advantages, guy, involved, costs

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.