Pool or no pool

Closed Thread
Old 07-02-2017, 09:30 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo View Post
We've had our pool eight years and our only expense is weekly cleaning (around $22) and electricity for the pump. We have a small pool so we only run the pump 4 hours a day and the cost is negligible. I think we're overdue for a pump but so far so good. I like the aesthetics of the pool as well as having it there to cool off in the summer. It also gets reflections of the sunset which we enjoy.
This is our first pool and we have had it a couple of years. We love looking at it, sitting by it and swimming in it. We have the same expenses as Jojo and the same pleasures.
Old 07-02-2017, 11:42 AM
Location: formerly Logan, and Charleston, WV Currently The Village of Pennecamp

I am in my 2nd house in TV. I have had a pool in both. After 7 years, no regrets. T & D maintains for what I think is very reasonable. We are in it almost daily
Old 07-02-2017, 02:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

We've had our pool since 2015. I have never had a pool before, and I can tell you I could not imagine NOT having one now. I know I'm spoiled. I was concerned about the cost of power and upkeep, and was pleasantly surprised how inexpensive it is, especially given the pump we have, which is variable speed. I chose to do the maintenance myself, which involves a weekly trip to the T&D store, for a free water analysis.

We love our pool, and use it daily.
Old 07-02-2017, 02:52 PM
Gold member

We LOVE our pool...........have an automatic cleaner and hubby takes the sample down to Colony Plaza for testing, easy enough. So pleased we made the decision to get. Even when we do not use it due to weather or whatever, beautiful to just sit around and relax.
Old 07-02-2017, 03:01 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,572 Times in 1,748 Posts

Also in your own pool you can be confident there will be no "p" (unless you or a guest put it in there) as there is no "p" in Lake Sumter.

Public Pool Safety: Are You Swimming in Poop?

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ise/101833016/

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine

Last edited by manaboutown; 07-04-2017 at 03:05 PM.
Old 07-04-2017, 08:46 AM
Default Thanks to all

Thanks to all for the info, much appreciated
Guy
Old 07-04-2017, 01:42 PM
Gold member

We love our 16x32 pool. It's heated by solar so when the pool is 85-89 we are in it.
No regrets and T&D maintains it so nothing but fun.
Even though we leave for the summer we would still do a pool.
Old 07-05-2017, 09:52 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glomonac View Post
Wife and I are undecided about buying a Villages house with a pool. Can anyone let me know advantages, disadvantages, costs involved?
Thanks,
Guy
My husband and I had no interest in a pool (we're just not "water" people) but the house we found with outdoor living space that we fell in love with has a pool. It's not huge but plenty big enough for us. Now that we've had it for the past year, I can honestly say I absolutely love it. Yes there are plenty of pools nearby but there is nothing like jumping in your own pool early in the morning then drinking coffee on the lanai. Or at dusk, after dinner. Is is so convenient. If we ever move (unlikely) I would definitely look for a pool.

It costs us $100 per month for a man to come every week. He cleans the pool and adjusts the chemicals. I don't know if the price is competitive but the company was one that the previous owners used so we just continued with them.
Old 07-05-2017, 09:57 AM

Are most private pools, salt water??
Old 07-05-2017, 10:46 AM
Gold member

I've lived here for a year and a half. I frequently take my cart for everything, no matter how far. In all my journeys up and down Morse, Odell, Bailey, 466, Stillwater, etc. I have NEVER seen a person in their pool.

We looked into putting in a pool: $50-60k! So if you want one, I'd buy a house with one. I doubt a pool would pay for itself at sale time.

The pools in TV rec centers are well maintained and heated in winter. Good enough for me!
Old 07-05-2017, 11:22 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by It's Hot There View Post
Are most private pools, salt water??
I dunno. Ours is.
Old 07-05-2017, 11:53 AM
Gold member

I had an above ground pool up north. Never again would I own another one. They are expensive to maintain. I suggest you use the pools in The Villages. They are a great place for socializing and meeting new people. You won't get that if you have your own pool. My two cents.
Old 07-05-2017, 11:56 AM
Gold member

My brother has a pool in Orlando. Every ten years they have to have the walls redone. This time will cost him around $9,000. Once you get one small crack either in the pool or on the deck its down hill from there.
Old 07-05-2017, 02:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lottoguy View Post
I had an above ground pool up north. Never again would I own another one. They are expensive to maintain. I suggest you use the pools in The Villages. They are a great place for socializing and meeting new people. You won't get that if you have your own pool. My two cents.
Expensive to maintain depends on your interpretation of expensive. With the variable speed filter we have, I estimate its $2-$3 a day in electricity. Being a salt water pool, the cost of chemicals is neglible. $6 for a 50lb bag of salt, of which I add maybe one bag a year. Various other chemicals (Muriatic Acid) to keep the pH in check, is $5 a gallon, which lasts months, especially in the winter season. I'd never had a pool, so I was always under the belief pools were "expensive". I was pleasantly surprised, and have gotten so much joy out of being able to walk out to my lanai and jump in. No carting to the neighborhood pool and listening to the gossip. In addition, I've never been a public pool fan.
Old 07-06-2017, 08:15 AM
Veteran member

We use our pool everyday. We find getting home from a warm morning of tennis or pickleball is the perfect time to just jump in the pool, without changing to swimsuits and wandering down to the neighborhood pool. It's great for rehab after getting those injuries one does from playing lots of sports. It's relaxing to read and float in the afternoons. (In your own pool you can use whatever kind of floating device you want...). If you are living here through the warm months I find it a great plus.
Closed Thread

Tags
pool, advantages, guy, involved, costs

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.