Pool or no pool

Closed Thread
Old 08-27-2017, 11:39 PM
Platinum member

We had a big pool, 18 x 36, built in hot tub & outdoor kitchen for 17 years in Tampa.

Enjoyed them during the kid years.

Wouldn't want any of that anymore.
Especially not at this age!
Old 08-28-2017, 09:23 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcrazorbackfan View Post
Definition of a pool - "a hole in the ground to pour your money into". Having owned one before (yes, in Arkansas we had in-ground pools), it's just my opinion.

There's just so many pools in TV that you can use to justify the cost of building and maintaining one. Again, just my opinion..........
put in a pool and love it! No more swimming in someones liquid waste,no more people with scabs and sores,best of all no more listening to women stabbing each other in the back! truly peaceful.
Old 08-28-2017, 09:25 PM
Sage
Default Pool or no pool

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisbad1 View Post
put in a pool and love it! No more swimming in someones liquid waste,no more people with scabs and sores,best of all no more listening to women stabbing each other in the back! truly peaceful.

Gross.

CDC warns about parasites, toxic gas at public pools
Old 09-04-2017, 08:43 PM
Gold member

A definite Yes to a pool. Advantages. Hygeine, your pool always clean! Using anytime u want, day or night. No love bugs around your pool, piece and quiet to read, but again back to hygeine. No one will pee in your pool and u can't say Seniors don't leak urine, bladder problems, prostate problems, etc. Nothing beats ur own pool
Old 09-06-2017, 04:55 AM

You tend to met more people without a pool.
Old 09-07-2017, 01:37 PM
Veteran member

It is true that you lose some friendship opportunities by having your own pool, but we love it. Nice and clean, not expensive to operate. (we use T&D)and nice to jump in after a warm day at the course. You can also get your drinks and snacks in your own home and you don't have to worry about some people saving 10 to 12 chairs for guests at the Country Club pools. We never had a pool up north so this is a treat and we use it all year long. Go for it!
Old 09-07-2017, 06:21 PM
Default Great

Quote:
Originally Posted by glomonac View Post
Wife and I are undecided about buying a Villages house with a pool. Can anyone let me know advantages, disadvantages, costs involved?
Thanks,
Guy
We put a pool in last year...so worth the money! BUT we hate our pool company...All Seasons! They lied to us many times and will not come back and fix warranty items! Buyer Beware!
Old 09-23-2017, 11:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,884 Times in 2,430 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiotte View Post
At least 90% of the lots here are too small for a pool. 5% can fit a tiny pool which leaves not much of a selection if you want a decent sized pool. Decent for me would be minimum 15 X 30. I liked the town pool when I was a kid, not so much now.

I liked our pool when I was kid, lived with my grandpa and down the road was old rock quarry. The limestone keep the water crystal clear and it was 28 foot off three sides. With about 60 to 90 foot bank on one side for diving. Get tire of swimming would go fishing. But, like trot in clear clean river you had to sneak up on them due to the clear water. IMO Beat the heck out of any cement pool.
Old 09-24-2017, 05:51 AM
Thumbs up

I bought a Plug & Play Hot Tub from FL Pool & Spa. Absolutely love it. Low maintenance and economical. Perfect for relaxing in the evenings.
Old 10-17-2017, 02:58 PM
Veteran member
Default Pool

Quote:
Originally Posted by glomonac View Post
Wife and I are undecided about buying a Villages house with a pool. Can anyone let me know advantages, disadvantages, costs involved?
Thanks,
Guy
Well,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, have you looked at al the very nice large pools at the Rec Centers? Included in your Rec fees and taken care of, clean, well kept and at different times you can check it out, you can have it all to yourself with your wife or family.
Easy to do for sure., just a suggestion. And the ($$$$$)
savings.

bbbbbb
Old 10-17-2017, 03:27 PM
Default Pool or no Pool?

Suggest you talk to friends with pools and get their opinion both pro and con. From the posts it is very much a personal opinion. I liken it to boating (a hole in the water to which you throw money) so be prepared for the costs...initial high cost of purchase, chemicals, maintenance, filters, pump energy cost, etc. There is also the issue of resale. I have been told a pool adds no value to your house and even limits potential buyers. But you also have the benefits...privacy while swimming, set temperature as you like it, can swim whenever you like, have pool parties, pool attire your choice. I have a pool and a boat and my wife and I love both. Although, we have friends that would not want either.
Old 10-17-2017, 05:19 PM
Gold member
Location: Pittsburgh, Cincinnati,Chicago ,buffalo, Asheville ,Pittsburgh

This thread is getting to be like gas -vs- electric carts. Get the the pool, don’t get the pool everybody has a different opinion. So, get the d###n pool and live with your decision
Old 10-17-2017, 06:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

We use our pool right up to January......we have a gas heater with solar back up (or visa versa).....we keep the pool at 84.
We usually shut down the heating in Jan/Feb....to cold to be out with no clothes on.

We decided many years ago to not do the public body parts stew pots...pools!
Old 10-17-2017, 06:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

We all swim laps every day except when the water temp drops below 82. We have solar panels but have never used the propane. Like Bille said. It is chilly at certain times.

Tags
pool, advantages, guy, involved, costs

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.