The Process - Where to Start?

Closed Thread
Old 10-23-2017, 06:46 AM

We are Northerners and own a house in the Villages. I would suggest renting for at least a month and take the time necessary to visit each Village. I have had several renters this year that did just that.

Our home is in the Village of Del Mar very close to Spanish Springs. The house will be available from May 2018- Dec 2018. At the end of 2018, we may even consider selling.

If interested, contact me: Jean 585 694 3279 or jricciuto@rochester.rr.com.
Old 10-23-2017, 08:32 AM

Hi Ken!

I have attached a link to one of the better articles I have read, titled "50 Things To Think About Before Buying A Home In The Villages". Good food for thought!

50 Things to Think About Before Buying a Home in The Villages

In our case, we made a five year plan too. When we thought that build-out was two years away. LOL. We had a five year plan, bought our dream house, perfect in every way. Rented it, went home, and then wondered how fast can we get down to The Villages ourselves.

We did a good look at our finances and then became the occupants of our home about 1.5 years from purchase. After living in our perfect house, we added an addition (expanded the outdoor lanai, added a summer kitchen, and another bathroom (we have a pool). At least we had a lot that was buildable on three sides, but we didn't know we needed that when we bought.

So plan, plan, plan and be flexible, as you will find that once you are here, things might change! But you will never go wrong living in this wonderful place!!!
Old 10-25-2017, 09:41 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,398 Times in 2,256 Posts

Thank you again for the replies.. We've thought about buying now and renting it out until we move. But we need to get there first to look around. I look at Realtor.com and The Villages website at least a couple times a week.. There is truly something for any taste and any price range. I have a feeling it's going to be like a kid in a candy store.. lol

Waverunner.. Thanks for the link to that article.

We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!
Old 12-03-2017, 07:07 PM

My wife and I are taking the plunge in that we are still a few years away from retirement but old enough to live in the villages. We both decided we needed a life change and decided for now to do a long term rental(1Year) and move down(Northeast). I found was able to secure a Job and she is still looking but this gives us a better look at what life is like here.Will update you in 6 months..But I have this great feeling about our new home.
Old 12-03-2017, 10:23 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenswing View Post
Thank you again for the replies.. We've thought about buying now and renting it out until we move. But we need to get there first to look around. I look at Realtor.com and The Villages website at least a couple times a week.. There is truly something for any taste and any price range. I have a feeling it's going to be like a kid in a candy store.. lol

I absolutely support this idea. It's what we did. We have our first Villages villa home paid off (bought in 2012) due in part to rental income. We loved renting so much we bought a second villa in 2013 and will have it paid off soon. We have met so many wonderful renters. Some have been coming back year after year to rent from us and many have since purchased their own homes. We bought pre owned both times because they were both turn key and low bond balances... Rae

Sent from my SM-N920R4 using Tapatalk
Old 12-04-2017, 03:26 AM
Sage

Quote:
Wow! Thank you all for the replies.

We'll still be young(ish) when we move. sixty two is still young, right? Neither of us has any problem driving but I have to say I love the whole idea of getting to most places in a golf cart.

I think I prefer a preowned house. Have had new houses in the past and think I would prefer a well established neighborhood with mature landscaping. I think it will come down to location and finding a house we're happy with.

It sounds like there is just no easy answer without spending time and exploring. Even then it sounds like the first choice might not be the last choice. I absolutely hate moving so I hope this will be the last house we ever have to buy.

As far as the people of the Villages.. That is what got us interested in the first place. We love to cruise and over the years have met many people on the ship that live in the Villages and they all seemed really nice and had almost 100% positive things to say about where they live.

Thanks again for the great ideas and advice.

-Ken
Almost 100%? Who are the complainers, they must be sent to retraining!!!
Old 12-04-2017, 06:46 AM

We had lived in Olympia, WA back in the 1990's, but that is not germane to your question. Lots of good information from previous responders in this thread. While the lifestyle previews are a great way of an introduction to the Villages, we rented for the entire month of May 2016 in order to learn everything we could about the Villages and the different locations.. We thought the lifestyle previews were too short and were concerned we might buy on impulse. We did buy during the last week of that month, but we had done our due diligence.
Old 12-04-2017, 08:38 AM

Ditto to the 'encouragement' to buy impulsively during the Lifestyle Preview! We visited for our second time in October (first time in 2012) and the agent was "hopeful" that we would purchase then, but we declined. Lots of encouragement to purchase in Fenny. We are planning to move to TV in late Spring after selling our current home. Not sure how all of this will come together, but we will rent initially for two to three months to take our time and then purchase the home that is in the area we've designated as best for us. I continuously look at the available homes to get an idea of different models and have concluded that most models will work for us even though we have preferences. Keep reading all of the available information so when you do make the move, you'll have a sense of what works for you! Good Luck and hope to see you in TV!
Old 12-04-2017, 09:12 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,208 Times in 1,172 Posts

Quote:

That's what we did - well not actually by choice - but it ended up we couldn't move down as soon as we thought and rented it out for now. We were thankful in the end that we bought in small and were fortunate to get a great location and price. Our tentative plan now is to eventually move down into the smaller place which will allow plenty of time to look around should we choose to go larger. In the meantime, it has been rented out year round with no problems.

And yes, you're right about looking for houses in TV - it is like a kid in a candy store, with so many choices. Just depends how much you have to spend on candy.
Closed Thread

Tags
village, live, villages, starting, plan

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.