Length of Design meeting

Closed Thread
Old 05-31-2019, 09:13 PM
Default Length of Design meeting

How many days did you need to complete your design meeting?
Old 06-01-2019, 07:18 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,671 Times in 625 Posts

We spent a very enjoyable day and a half.

Of course, we were very prepared. We drove around and looked at different houses, so when she asked what color we wanted for the house, trim, and roof, we just said the same as the house at a certain address.

We had spent hours walking around looking at the type of front lights, so we knew what we wanted.

We knew in advance that we did not want a roman shower, vertical blinds, an oven, or a refrigerator. We later got the refrigerator and oven much cheaper at Best Buy, and we got ADO-wraps instead of vertical blinds at another store that sells them.

Our house had some common options, like a golf cart garage and an expanded lanai, so we knew we wanted those.

We knew what type of cabinets we wanted by looking at model homes.

When it came to choosing carpet and tile colors, my mind went blank because they all looked the same. Fortunately, my wife came through and made some great choices.

We did not like granite for the countertops and thought we wanted Corian instead, but our designer Nicole said that a large sink would be more expensive with Corian. She pointed out that we could get beautiful porcelain counters with a large sink for just a few hundred dollars more than Corian, so we took it. We are thrilled with our choices.

Last edited by VApeople; 06-01-2019 at 11:57 AM.
Old 06-01-2019, 01:11 PM
Veteran member

So I have some questions - how do you know what the house will cost when you buy the lot? How do you know if you can do the bumpouts you want? Do the prices come out similar to the pre-built homes that are for sale? It seems so backward - I would want to design my house completely, then wait for the right lot to come open. My concern would be that the house and lot together would turn out to be way over my budget, and you are already locked into the lot..... Comments?
Snow Flake until I retire
Old 06-01-2019, 01:18 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packer Fan View Post
So I have some questions - how do you know what the house will cost when you buy the lot??
When you purchase a lot you sign an agreement to build a house of a minimum value within a year. The minimum depends on lot/area etc... The Villages determines that. The actual cost of the house depends on what you choose to put into it and you will not know that until the design is done.
Old 06-01-2019, 03:23 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:
So I have some questions - how do you know what the house will cost when you buy the lot? How do you know if you can do the bumpouts you want? Do the prices come out similar to the pre-built homes that are for sale? It seems so backward - I would want to design my house completely, then wait for the right lot to come open. My concern would be that the house and lot together would turn out to be way over my budget, and you are already locked into the lot..... Comments?
When working with your rep most know what model they want, a golf cart garage, bump house, garage, lanai. VLS have the knowledge of what property will allow those items, and if you want to add a pool later they have the knowledge of those lots too. Then when you meet with design team your lot can accommodate your wants and needs. I do know couple of people that changed their model and had to find a different lot. As for cost I would think most have met with a financial guy or have the cash on hand to make their dream come true

Last edited by asianthree; 06-01-2019 at 03:29 PM.
Old 06-01-2019, 04:46 PM

You should have an idea of what floor plan and what bumpouts you want before selecting a lot. As for how many days to design a home, we were coming in to TV from a distance and were told 5 days. We pretty much knew what we wanted and our part only took a day and a half but then all the plans had to go to the Architect, which took 2 days (one of those was a SUnday so maybe that was why) and by time we got the contract to sign it was the fifth day.
Old 06-01-2019, 04:54 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VApeople View Post
We spent a very enjoyable day and a half.

Of course, we were very prepared. We drove around and looked at different houses, so when she asked what color we wanted for the house, trim, and roof, we just said the same as the house at a certain address.

We had spent hours walking around looking at the type of front lights, so we knew what we wanted.

We knew in advance that we did not want a roman shower, vertical blinds, an oven, or a refrigerator. We later got the refrigerator and oven much cheaper at Best Buy, and we got ADO-wraps instead of vertical blinds at another store that sells them.

Our house had some common options, like a golf cart garage and an expanded lanai, so we knew we wanted those.

We knew what type of cabinets we wanted by looking at model homes.

When it came to choosing carpet and tile colors, my mind went blank because they all looked the same. Fortunately, my wife came through and made some great choices.

We did not like granite for the countertops and thought we wanted Corian instead, but our designer Nicole said that a large sink would be more expensive with Corian. She pointed out that we could get beautiful porcelain counters with a large sink for just a few hundred dollars more than Corian, so we took it. We are thrilled with our choices.
What is a porcelain counter? Is that the same as marble?
Old 06-01-2019, 05:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
What is a porcelain counter? Is that the same as marble?
Never mind! I just Googled porcelain countertops and am intrigued. Did you find a trusted installer?
Old 06-01-2019, 10:19 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
Never mind! I just Googled porcelain countertops and am intrigued. Did you find a trusted installer?
Actually ours is quartz, not porcelain. I get these fancy things confused.
Old 06-01-2019, 10:26 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
So I have some questions - how do you know what the house will cost when you buy the lot?
We had no idea what the house would cost when we put down a deposit to hold the lot.

When we first met with our realtor, he gave us a sheet that had the basic price for every style of house with no options.

After working with our designer, we added about $60K in options.
Old 06-02-2019, 08:57 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan9871 View Post
When you purchase a lot you sign an agreement to build a house of a minimum value within a year. The minimum depends on lot/area etc... The Villages determines that. The actual cost of the house depends on what you choose to put into it and you will not know that until the design is done.
You have a YEAR to build? Really? Wow. Cool. So do they do 10% down of the price of the lot plus the minimum home value to hold it or what?
Old 06-02-2019, 08:58 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VApeople View Post
We had no idea what the house would cost when we put down a deposit to hold the lot.

When we first met with our realtor, he gave us a sheet that had the basic price for every style of house with no options.

After working with our designer, we added about $60K in options.
Any chance you could list the base prices? Or at least the base for an Iris, Lilly, Lantana, Jasmine, and Laurel Oak

Knowing these will change over time of course, but it really helps.
Old 06-02-2019, 11:20 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Any chance you could list the base prices? Or at least the base for an Iris, Lilly, Lantana, Jasmine, and Laurel Oak
When we met with our realtor three years ago, the base price for an Iris was $258K and the Laurel Oak was $286K.

Since the Laurel Oak was only 10% higher than an Iris but had about 20% more living space, we chose the Laurel Oak.

When we met with the designer, we asked her to leave out the desk in the laundry room and the island in the kitchen, and we got a credit for those deletions.
Old 06-03-2019, 06:25 AM

We met with design on Wednesday and we signed the contract a week later on a Thursday. One day was spent designing our pool. We started out with a Laurel Oak and decided to go with a modified Ivy. The reason I say modified Ivy is because we utilized the size of the fourth bedroom and incorporated storage space with a half bath on the lanai, an enlarged master bedroom with an additional walk-in closet, a butler's pantry, a larger secondary bedroom and more. We wound up with a three-bedroom, 2 1/2 bath Ivy. The sky is the limit with the home we never dreamed we would one day own. We will close on our home in August and can't wait for that to happen. The process of design was exhausting for me and without the guidance of our design person our dream home would never have come to be. Traci was amazing!
Old 06-03-2019, 06:42 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,478 Times in 711 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomsiepop View Post
We met with design on Wednesday and we signed the contract a week later on a Thursday. One day was spent designing our pool. We started out with a Laurel Oak and decided to go with a modified Ivy. The reason I say modified Ivy is because we utilized the size of the fourth bedroom and incorporated storage space with a half bath on the lanai, an enlarged master bedroom with an additional walk-in closet, a butler's pantry, a larger secondary bedroom and more. We wound up with a three-bedroom, 2 1/2 bath Ivy. The sky is the limit with the home we never dreamed we would one day own. We will close on our home in August and can't wait for that to happen. The process of design was exhausting for me and without the guidance of our design person our dream home would never have come to be. Traci was amazing!
Sounds like your hard work paid off in transforming your house into a dream home. Good going.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Closed Thread

Tags
design, meeting, complete, days, length

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.