Qualty vs price of house

Closed Thread
Old 03-24-2019, 04:46 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Remember there could be a bond that you have to pay off that goes with the house in some parts of the village.
I think you will find a big attraction of the Villages is the Villages and that is what you pay for.
Old 03-24-2019, 05:43 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,244 Times in 360 Posts

Already been covered in some detail but I add mine. My home in FL cost at least 75% more than same home here in Fayetteville, TN. The Villages sales pitch says it all; you are buying the lifestyle.

The government cannot give anything to anyone without first taking it from someone else
Old 03-24-2019, 07:41 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,035 Times in 2,730 Posts

Price is concrete, quality is in the eyes of the home buyer. For some it is living space, for others it is privacy, for others it is the lifestyle surrounding the home, etc..... Quality is so subjective.
Old 03-24-2019, 08:00 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBoroden View Post
Hello, Joe here from Shreveport, LA. My wife and I are exploring retirement locations in about 3 years. We have 8 kids between us and also 10 siblings. Thinking of central Florida so they will be enticed to visit us instead of mostly us traveling all over the country.

We are going to do a Lifestyle visit for the first time in May for 4 days. We are very interested in all the positives we have been reading about.

Our only concern so far is that the price per square foot and quality of homes via pictures are more expensive and lower quality than we are used to.

We have a $350k home near Bossier City, LA with 2700 sq fr, a huge kitchen with granite, 3 bedrooms, a large bonus room, 3.5 baths with granite in every one, a kitchen in backyard with granite, crown moldings everywhere. Seems like a similar home would be like $600-800K in The Villages.

For those already there, can you comment on quality and price of homes?

Thanks! Joe
Joe, Someone posted that there are other 55 Plus communities within a short drive On Top of the World is one worth checking out. We were there today visiting a friend. They are building some beautiful homes and you get more bang for your buck there. The gotcha is the lifestyle here is much better. We looked at some places in ON Top of The World and thought WOW, sure more house for the dollar but the activities just don’t match what’s here in TV.

By the way have you ever had dinner at Ernest’s ? Good friend of mine Don Mason is an entertainer there.
Old 03-24-2019, 08:49 PM

JoeBoroden- you are not from Merrick are you?
Old 03-24-2019, 09:05 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIgolfers View Post

No I’m from Rhode Island but Mason and I are a group of musicians who originally became friends via a musicians forum.
Old 03-24-2019, 09:37 PM
Default The world is your oyster

I recall a option to buy an island. I read about an island in North Carolina. The island was, if I recall ten acres, came with a herd of wild horses and a nice home.

Price was only a million. Waterfront view on all sides. We didn't even look. Hum, if you own the island do you pay taxes? Can you declare yourself king?

With the last hurricane, is it underwater? Is it now available at a sale price?

No shortage of choices.

I would never move to Florida yet, we are here and we are happy.
Old 03-25-2019, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIgolfers View Post
Yes, and you? Myself and my 3 brothers and 4 sisters.
Old 03-25-2019, 06:42 AM
Gold member

I own a twenty year old courtyard villa near Spanish Springs and always thought the quality of construction was acceptable. I recently decided to replace the builder grade fiberglass shower stall in the bathroom off the master bedroom with a new tile shower. What I found are serious problems with framing behind the shower, as well as drain location and quality problems. Not only was the framing not 16 inches on center, there was no framing at all on two walls. Apparently the fiberglass tabs were all that were holding two sides of the shower up. And the drains are improperly placed, plus not plumb (I'd say the main drain is 10 degrees off plumb). So I suggest you look carefully that the new construction. I love The Villages, but am highly disappointed in what I've found behind the walls.
Old 03-25-2019, 06:55 AM
Default Quality and Price

My house in the Villages was built 16 years ago and at that time I would rate quality average, price slightly above average. As of now because of the lifestyle the Villages has to offer the price of a house is much higher than any other retirement community within 10-15 miles or so.
wfp113.
Old 03-25-2019, 07:04 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by collie1228 View Post
I own a twenty year old courtyard villa near Spanish Springs and always thought the quality of construction was acceptable. I recently decided to replace the builder grade fiberglass shower stall in the bathroom off the master bedroom with a new tile shower. What I found are serious problems with framing behind the shower, as well as drain location and quality problems. Not only was the framing not 16 inches on center, there was no framing at all on two walls. Apparently the fiberglass tabs were all that were holding two sides of the shower up. And the drains are improperly placed, plus not plumb (I'd say the main drain is 10 degrees off plumb). So I suggest you look carefully that the new construction. I love The Villages, but am highly disappointed in what I've found behind the walls.
So for 20 years you've had absolutely no problem with your shower, yet you found "serious problems with framing" and the drain location?
Old 03-25-2019, 07:40 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by photo1902 View Post
So for 20 years you've had absolutely no problem with your shower, yet you found "serious problems with framing" and the drain location?
Interesting.
Old 03-25-2019, 07:52 AM

My husband and I just moved to the Villages six months ago. We had a new home built east of Rt.441. It is on the original side of the villages. There is no bond on that side. We looked at used site built homes and decided we could build a brand new home for less money than buying used. We went new so we would not have to worry about replacing anything for hopefully quite a few years. As far as price per sq. foot I think it depends on where you are living. I'm from NH and I actually paid less here for more square footage, and the property taxes are a lot lower and they don't have snow LOL!! We are so happy we moved here. We love it!!!
Old 03-25-2019, 09:49 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
All the amenities, activities, etc look great, that is why we are looking there. I agree with the comment others only have 10% of the amenities. It seems the premium is built into the price of homes, and the bond payment and the amenity fee, which is a bargain.
And that's why the home prices are higher. You're not just buying a house, you're buying a lifestyle.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 03-25-2019, 10:38 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to eweissenbach

As so many have stated the "lifestyle" is built into the price of the homes. But what is the "lifestyle"? That means different things to different people - to some it is going to the squares to enjoy live entertainment regularly - to others it is joining one or many groups or clubs, of which there are an endless supply - to others it is a huge variety of reasonable dining option or shopping. The big draw for me, and thousands of others, is golf. You have not indicated whether golf is important to you, so I don't know if you care, but this is pretty much the Vallhalla of golf. You can play every day here, far more reasonably, and with greater variety, than anywhere else I am aware of. Can you buy a cheaper home elsewhere? Yes, without a doubt, but not with these opportunities. Also, the beauty of the community is absolutely unrivaled in any other city anywhere. When you drive inside the confines of TV you will be constantly amazed by the landscaping, buildings and homes and all the infrastructure. What I fing rather amazing is that not only has the developer built and maintained an amazingly gorgeous environment, but somehow they have managed to attract residents who consistently outdo each other in beautifying their personal landscaping. The result is driving through a stunningly breathtaking community that is hard to explain to someone who has never seen it. I know people who have opted for other retirement communities after spending time in the Villages, and even owning a home here, and are happy with the decision. Their general reasoning is they didn't really take part in many activities, and weren't "into the lifestyle". One even has said there was too much traffic, which I find hilarious. So if golf and/or an active lifestyle in a gorgeous environment with mostly happy and content seniors is enticing - this might just be the place for you - it works for me.

Tags
quality, price, homes, home, visit

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.