Qualty vs price of house

Closed Thread
Old 03-24-2019, 01:03 PM
Default Qualty vs price of house

Hello, Joe here from Shreveport, LA. My wife and I are exploring retirement locations in about 3 years. We have 8 kids between us and also 10 siblings. Thinking of central Florida so they will be enticed to visit us instead of mostly us traveling all over the country.

We are going to do a Lifestyle visit for the first time in May for 4 days. We are very interested in all the positives we have been reading about.

Our only concern so far is that the price per square foot and quality of homes via pictures are more expensive and lower quality than we are used to.

We have a $350k home near Bossier City, LA with 2700 sq fr, a huge kitchen with granite, 3 bedrooms, a large bonus room, 3.5 baths with granite in every one, a kitchen in backyard with granite, crown moldings everywhere. Seems like a similar home would be like $600-800K in The Villages.

For those already there, can you comment on quality and price of homes?

Thanks! Joe
Old 03-24-2019, 01:16 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,335 Times in 729 Posts

Soon this thread will be filled with pro villages posters who only report the best of The Villages or those who compare TV to high prices in New Jersey or similar.

I agree on a per square foot price basis the prices are high, probably 35% premium for this market. This is the price of admission to this community. For those of us here it is worth it.
Old 03-24-2019, 01:27 PM
Gold member
Location: British Columbia, Seattle and Haciendas at Mission Hills

This is what I would do to understand the difference in what you get. Go to Realtor.Com Put into the filters what you are looking for such as square footage, price range, pool or no pool, etc. Then compare what you get in The Villages vs Lady Lake which is just out the boundaries of The Villages. You will be astounded at the differences in what you get for a house. But of course you do not get the amenities of The Villages, you are paying for what The Villages has.
Old 03-24-2019, 01:37 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,686 Times in 3,599 Posts

$150 to $225/sf.

I would say, 20% premium compared to other golf communities with 1/10th the amenities.

There are a couple other communities within an hour.......a quick discovery day-trip.

Come experience and you decide.

I watched The Villages for 15 years prior to purchasing (was still working), moved here six years ago (sub-55) and love it.

The premium was worth it.

Old 03-24-2019, 03:29 PM

Thanks for the responses. Just gathering input. I understand it is supply and demand. All the amenities, activities, etc look great, that is why we are looking there. I agree with the comment others only have 10% of the amenities. It seems the premium is built into the price of homes, and the bond payment and the amenity fee, which is a bargain. The higher home prices and bond are substantial. Once understood it becomes a choice.

I can understand why the developer is a billionaire!

Last edited by JoeBoroden; 03-24-2019 at 03:47 PM.
Old 03-24-2019, 03:47 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,587 Times in 566 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBoroden View Post
Thanks for the responses. Just gathering input. I understand it is supply and demand. All the amenities, activities, etc look great, that is why we are looking there. I agree with the comment others only have 10% of the amenities. It seems the premium is built into the price of homes, and the bond payment and the amenity fee, which is a bargain.
We visited in 07, at the free for all buying stage, houses selling the minute they were done. Came again in 09, and bought first house in 2010, then in 12, again in 14.
Bigger garage, even bigger garage, that’s your basement. We sold house #1 in 3 days with only a email to say it was for sale, with a gain.
Even if you buy here and don’t love it, it’s easier to sell here than anywhere else we have lived.
Old 03-24-2019, 03:48 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,996 Times in 2,197 Posts

The other thing to consider is NEW versus resale, you may get more bang for the buck on a resale as it may very well have significant upgrades. Occasionally you will find deals where you can buy a lot and build, we did this. The advantage is you get everything you want upfront, the only major upgrade we had to do was the addition of a birdcage, we were not sure what we wanted when we built.
You pay major premiums for a water or golf course view. We chose neither, but got great privacy (by accident). Look a Google Earth, and you will see the typical layout, with "kissing lanais". these work well if you and your neighbor get along, they do not work well if you do not. Corner lots, larger lots, etc., also get premiums.
IMHO, list what is important to you, and take a look a Zillow and other sites to see what might be available, keep checking, houses become availalbe all the time, there are 2 right near me, one for $519k and one for $720k, bot have pools and improvements.
While I have NO direct experience, there appears to be some differences in the Fenney area, versus the area North of 466A, and i have no opinion if this si good or bad. There is an active quarry and a federal prison south of 44, so ask questions when you are looking.
The villages has (and is currently) growing so much that 6 years ago when we built, we were is the southern end of the villages, we are now almost in the CENTER of the villages.
Search Lyle Grant on this site, he is a realtor has has a website with a lot of info, we did not use him, as we bought new through the villages.
NOTE: new homes can only be purchased directly from the villages through their agents, resales area available from both the villages and MLS, but as far as I know NOT listed by BOTH, so if you are looking for a resale, you need to check both sources.
Hope this helps.
Send me a PM with your contact info if yopu would like to discuss further.
Old 03-24-2019, 03:50 PM

I am still watching...looking ... and doing a lot of comparisons. Just had a major life change moment this past week (my mother passed away at the age of 97).... making the move time frame more variable (sooner?).

Meeting with my financial planner next week to go thru about 4 hours of "What If's" and updating our (me and my beautiful bride of 25 years) future planning.

For a well outfitted home (2.5+ garage, ~2500 SF, Pool, Privacy/view), looking at the range of $240-260 /SF. That would include any bond remaining - ALWAYS ASK about that.
Old 03-24-2019, 03:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom C View Post
I am still watching...looking ... and doing a lot of comparisons. Just had a major life change moment this past week (my mother passed away at the age of 97).... making the move time frame more variable (sooner?).

Meeting with my financial planner next week to go thru about 4 hours of "What If's" and updating our (me and my beautiful bride of 25 years) future planning.

For a well outfitted home (2.5+ garage, ~2500 SF, Pool, Privacy/view), looking at the range of $240-260 /SF. That would include any bond remaining - ALWAYS ASK about that.
Sorry for the loss of your Mom. We wish you Peace.
Old 03-24-2019, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
The other thing to consider is NEW versus resale, you may get more bang for the buck on a resale as it may very well have significant upgrades. Occasionally you will find deals where you can buy a lot and build, we did this. The advantage is you get everything you want upfront, the only major upgrade we had to do was the addition of a birdcage, we were not sure what we wanted when we built.
You pay major premiums for a water or golf course view. We chose neither, but got great privacy (by accident). Look a Google Earth, and you will see the typical layout, with "kissing lanais". these work well if you and your neighbor get along, they do not work well if you do not. Corner lots, larger lots, etc., also get premiums.
IMHO, list what is important to you, and take a look a Zillow and other sites to see what might be available, keep checking, houses become availalbe all the time, there are 2 right near me, one for $519k and one for $720k, bot have pools and improvements.
While I have NO direct experience, there appears to be some differences in the Fenney area, versus the area North of 466A, and i have no opinion if this si good or bad. There is an active quarry and a federal prison south of 44, so ask questions when you are looking.
The villages has (and is currently) growing so much that 6 years ago when we built, we were is the southern end of the villages, we are now almost in the CENTER of the villages.
Search Lyle Grant on this site, he is a realtor has has a website with a lot of info, we did not use him, as we bought new through the villages.
NOTE: new homes can only be purchased directly from the villages through their agents, resales area available from both the villages and MLS, but as far as I know NOT listed by BOTH, so if you are looking for a resale, you need to check both sources.
Hope this helps.
Send me a PM with your contact info if yopu would like to discuss further.
Thanks for the info!

The internet is a great source nowadays. I can sit in my recliner with my iPad and research anything! LOL.

I agree about resale. I have seen several with significant upgrades at better pricing than new. We need to experience the Lifestyle now and we will in May. Have about 3 years to go so no rush, but I like to plan ahead.

Not sure I can convince wifey to go there when for same price I can get a much nicer home with a screened in pool within an hour of Orlando. From the internet, the Lifestyle and amenities look great, plus everyone I have asked that has visitied someone there or knows someone says they love it.

PS - I lived in Allentown, PA in the early 80’s when I worked for the chemicals division of Air Products.
Old 03-24-2019, 04:11 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,980 Times in 713 Posts

So much does depend on where you are coming from. My house up north is a 4 bedroom, 1.5 baths, 1800 sq feet and is worth $500,000. Just bought a 3 bed, 2 bath, 1450 sq feet Villa for 215,000. For us it was a great price and exactly what we wanted. Block construction and all looks good. Just sent a list of items for them to take care of but nothing major.
Old 03-24-2019, 04:11 PM
Default Not sure what you are thinking

Quote:
Hello, Joe here from Shreveport, LA. My wife and I are exploring retirement locations in about 3 years. We have 8 kids between us and also 10 siblings. Thinking of central Florida so they will be enticed to visit us instead of mostly us traveling all over the country.

We are going to do a Lifestyle visit for the first time in May for 4 days. We are very interested in all the positives we have been reading about.

Our only concern so far is that the price per square foot and quality of homes via pictures are more expensive and lower quality than we are used to.

We have a $350k home near Bossier City, LA with 2700 sq fr, a huge kitchen with granite, 3 bedrooms, a large bonus room, 3.5 baths with granite in every one, a kitchen in backyard with granite, crown moldings everywhere. Seems like a similar home would be like $600-800K in The Villages.

For those already there, can you comment on quality and price of homes?

Thanks! Joe
We cannot possibly answer your question. You state you are retiring in three years. The world is your oyster. You need to make a choice. Actually assuming you can stay in your home in Bossier City

The lifestyle visit is a great idea-we did it three times before buying. Retiring, is a major step. You mention your wife. Might be productive for each of you to write down what you want.
I would, we did, write it down. That way neither of you are leading the other. Might be a surprise for both of you.

Price per square foot? There is what it costs in the area. If, you are not aware you would be shocked to compare cost per square foot in Bossier City, the Villages or most places to NYC or LA.

It is what it is. You have to decide is it worth it to you and what your budget is. Moving-you likely will not see old friends, favorite, restaurants, favorite fishing spots etc etc etc.
Old 03-24-2019, 04:19 PM

Gary, you are absolutely right. I was born and raised on Long Island where prices and taxes are high. My career in the chemical industry took me all over mostly the Gulf Coast where house prices and taxes were much lower.

So for you it is a bargain! For me, I cant get nearly the same house I am in without paying 30-40% more. We will downsize some.
Old 03-24-2019, 04:22 PM

Thanks TT!

There is no right or perfect answer. I was looking for dialogue and input. You make good points.

What I am finding out by everyone’s answers is that I am on the right track with the exploring process.
Old 03-24-2019, 04:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Thanks for the responses. Just gathering input. I understand it is supply and demand. All the amenities, activities, etc look great, that is why we are looking there. I agree with the comment others only have 10% of the amenities. It seems the premium is built into the price of homes, and the bond payment and the amenity fee, which is a bargain. The higher home prices and bond are substantial. Once understood it becomes a choice.

I can understand why the developer is a billionaire!
Not yet Joe. You haven't been here yet. Prepare to be absolutely impressed.

Tags
quality, price, homes, home, visit

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.