a question about acceptance

Old 03-22-2011, 07:24 AM
Default a question about acceptance

Greetings from the frozen north.

My question is for people of color living in TV, indeed, if there are any - I can't tell one way or the other by scanning these forums.

Do you feel accepted and are you comfortable in your day to day dealings there? Are there mixed couples living in TV?

Old 03-22-2011, 09:08 AM
Platinum member
Send a message via Skype™ to SALYBOW
Default I would

I would accept them!!!!

When God made me he said Ta Da!

Old 03-22-2011, 09:19 AM
Veteran member

No problem here!!!

Old 03-22-2011, 09:20 AM

We're all colored down here from the sun! Mixed couples? Yes, we have men living with women, men living with men, and women living with women.

Seriously, in this last chapter of our lives we are all in the same boat. I don't think any cares about your race or sexual preference.

Come on down.

Old 03-22-2011, 09:52 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

I'm sure it is an issue to some people, but I don't think it is to many. I have friends of various shades of color. Some I know well enough to ask if it makes a difference here and they've told me it made absolutely no difference. They are accepted because of the type of people they are, their interests and abilities. Their skin color doesn't seem to matter. I think the one who has it the hardest is an African Muslim. He is actually more accepted because of his caucasian, Christian wife -- this seems to make him "safe" (as he puts it).

The best to see how little it matters to most here is to come down and a Lifestyle visit. I think you'll find that people will be as friendly to you as you are to them.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein

Old 03-22-2011, 09:53 AM
Platinum member

http://www.taaclub.org/index.htm For example, here is the site for the African American CLub
Tampa, FL

Old 03-22-2011, 11:04 AM

I don't think you'll have to worry about being "blue" when you go to The Villages!

Old 03-22-2011, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanklib View Post

My question is for people of color living in TV, indeed, if there are any - I can't tell one way or the other by scanning these forums.

Do you feel accepted and are you comfortable in your day to day dealings there? Are there mixed couples living in TV?
Color?? What color?? Nobody here cares what color anybody may be. We're way beyond that silliness!! Come on down and you will be able to see for yourselves. We're very friendly and most of us think we are very cute as well! You will absolutely LOVE the place!

Old 03-22-2011, 12:00 PM
Sage
Smile Welcome, and don't hesitate

While caucasians are clearly the majority, I have spoken with various American and Carribean black couples and individuals around TV and dancing at Lake Sumter Landing. I have no doubts they are having the time of their lives and several told me they "LOVE" it here because of the beauty, orderly society, friendliness, nice homes etc.

For all the talk around the nation about "diversity" and even forcing employees etc. into "diversity training" when they don't want to do it, I find that TV is the most naturally diverse community we've ever seen, with people coming from all states and other nations/continents.

And if you do run into somebody who worries about people of color, forget about it.....there are those in most other places too....and in TV having 80,000 people, you then have thousands of others who will be happy to meet you.

We all have so much in common with our neighbors from other states that it would be bone-headed to dwell on somebody's color. I would say that it's best to avoid discussions on religion and politics until you know somebody fairly well, to learn whether they're going to throw away everything else you've shared in common, for the sake of friendship being contingent upon political party (which sadly, is true with some, but not many).

Old 03-22-2011, 02:50 PM

Acceptance eh? Well, I played last week with a group of guys that I guess you would call people of color. They gladly accepted my quarter for losing the hole and I gladly accepted their quarters on holes I won. Laughter and stories for 18 holes, with a little friendly competition mixed in. I hope I can play with these guys and their group again, each one a gentleman and fun to play with. I don’t know if there was any acceptance going on, I don’t think any of us really was thinking about it, just four guys playing golf. But isn’t that the way it is suppose to be???

Old 03-22-2011, 02:58 PM

I for one would welcome more diversity here. After living in major cities and working around the world I find that I miss the ethnic diversity I lived with. We are trying to get our old friends from back home to come here and they have made one visit already and are planning a second this summer. They are Puerto Rican and did not sense any discrimination during their first stay.

I will also be honest and say what some may not want to say or have not run into but there is a very small minority of people here who are prejudiced about almost everything and everyone different than they are but they tend to be shunned by the rest of us and have very few friends. The overwhelming majority of people here will judge you by who you are and not what you are.

Old 03-22-2011, 03:54 PM

Ah yes, as Kermit said "it's not easy being green".

The truth is your attitude is important. If you expect to find prejudice you probably will. If you smile and wave and get to know your neighbors this is a wonderful, accepting community.

Come on down and see for yourself.

Old 03-22-2011, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanklib View Post

Let's hope not but there are still some that have a problem with anything in life if it be you or me or...

So come down and most all will not even notice, good people are good people and bad people are bad people - end of story.

aj

p.s. good luck at finding your dream

Old 03-22-2011, 04:33 PM
Smile

yanklib: I too asked the same question right here on this forum about acceptance before moving down here, and I can proudly say I have had a very warm welcome since moving down to The Villages from NY/NJ 7 months ago. As others have already said, it's not so much how you look that matters here, it's how you relate and interact with others - I have made terrific friends with folks right here on this forum, in all the exercise classes and social activities I go to and just about everywhere I turn (mind you, I am very outgoing!). I do wish there was more diversity in many activities I go to, but that never stops me from going nor from interacting with the attendees. Matter of fact, I love being "one of the regulars" in the activities I participate in, and never feel as "the odd man out" in any way. Regarding mixed couples, to be honest, I haven't seen too many but there are a few.

So, if you like meeting new people, have a passion for life, and a strong sense of community don't give it any more thought - just come on down, and you will have the time of your life! Feel free to send me a PM if you'd like more info.

Old 03-22-2011, 05:43 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,647 Times in 589 Posts

I think most all the people get along very well here, my experience.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.