a question about acceptance

Closed Thread
Old 03-24-2011, 12:08 PM
Golden Sunrise Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetv View Post

We all have so much in common with our neighbors from other states that it would be bone-headed to dwell on somebody's color. I would say that it's best to avoid discussions on religion and politics until you know somebody fairly well, to learn whether they're going to throw away everything else you've shared in common, for the sake of friendship being contingent upon political party (which sadly, is true with some, but not many).
Good advice...
Old 03-24-2011, 07:31 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by katezbox View Post
OK - I am going to throw in a bit of realism here. I personally know some of the posters that are saying we are beyond all this - and they truly are. When I was teaching adult ed in New Haven, one of my students gave me a wonderful compliment - that I didn't care if someone was black, white, brown or green - I just wanted to help them learn.

TV is like many places on this wonderful earth and in this fabulous country of ours. There are people with and without prejudices. I have a gay son and a Muslim son in law. I once was, but am no longer, a Republican. I am adopted. I have heard slurs here in TV against gays, against Muslims, and against adopted children. I was told that my political beliefs (which are fiscally conservative, but socially moderate) are extreme.

I am not a negative person - I hope Gracie and PT will confirm this.

I am thinking that most of us (me included!!!!) will welcome you with open arms - but while this is very close to paradise - it is not Nirvana.
Confirmed! I love Kate and who wouldn't. She's smart, fun, funny and has great values.
Old 03-24-2011, 07:33 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pturner View Post
Confirmed! I love Kate and who wouldn't. She's smart, fun, funny and has great values.
Et moi aussi!
Old 03-24-2011, 07:37 PM
Gold member
Send a message via AIM to Shirleevee

[QUOTE=redwitch;340572]Kate, I'm with you. To say or imply that everyone will welcome someone "different" is not accurate. I don't care how perfect a place is, how ethnically diverse it is, how wonderful the people are, there will always be some who are prejudiced and non-accepting. I've gotten grief here for adopting a child, for being a liberal, for caring about my Muslim friend, for loving my gay friend. Nothing major but enough to make me realize that people are people regardless of where you live.

That being said, I do believe that the vast majority in TV are accepting. They really don't care about your color, your political beliefs, your income, your status. They care that you care about your home and take care of it. They care that you smile and love TV as much as they do. They care that you want to take care of this wonderful community. It ain't perfect here, but it is dang good.[/QUOT

My observations are that the majority in TV are accepting. There are a few who are not, and I think I have encountered some of them.

Staten Island, N.Y./The Villages
Old 03-24-2011, 09:51 PM
Golden Sunrise Member

[quote=Shirleevee;340710]
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post
Kate, I'm with you. To say or imply that everyone will welcome someone "different" is not accurate. I don't care how perfect a place is, how ethnically diverse it is, how wonderful the people are, there will always be some who are prejudiced and non-accepting. I've gotten grief here for adopting a child, for being a liberal, for caring about my Muslim friend, for loving my gay friend. Nothing major but enough to make me realize that people are people regardless of where you live.

That being said, I do believe that the vast majority in TV are accepting. They really don't care about your color, your political beliefs, your income, your status. They care that you care about your home and take care of it. They care that you smile and love TV as much as they do. They care that you want to take care of this wonderful community. It ain't perfect here, but it is dang good.[/QUOT

My observations are that the majority in TV are accepting. There are a few who are not, and I think I have encountered some of them.
Shirlee, PT, Red and Gracie - thanks for your comments and support...

Yank, if you come to visit send me a PM - we will have you over - with many of these other fine folks for the best pizza south of New Haven...
Old 03-27-2011, 08:43 AM
Veteran member
Default Try renting

Try renting for at least 6 months, a year if you can. Be yourself and assess TV for yourself. People tell you to keep your politics and reglion to your self for a reason. TV is a very nice place, but we worry if we will be accepted since we are retired Union workers and some what Liberal. Read the Political forum. The people on this forum seem to be the nicest of TV. Best of luck to you and hope TV is a good fit for you.
Old 03-27-2011, 09:11 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Oldcrabs View Post
Try renting for at least 6 months, a year if you can. Be yourself and assess TV for yourself. People tell you to keep your politics and reglion to your self for a reason. TV is a very nice place, but we worry if we will be accepted since we are retired Union workers and some what Liberal. Read the Political forum. The people on this forum seem to be the nicest of TV. Best of luck to you and hope TV is a good fit for you.
I think....on the matter of politics.....

that the political forum does not accurately represent TOTV or TV.

I have gone to many get togethers at Crispers, and had a few at our home for TOTV'rs and never met anyone who posted frequently on the political forum.

Most people on TOTV and those who you meet in The Villages welcome the chance to meet others...for just about any reason.

I believe that The Villages is overwhelmingly Republican, but I still think there is a huge group of moderates who live here who don't discuss their politics.

We all have differences; our religion, upbringing, geographic areas, basic born with us personalities, but we are mostly alike because we are a little closer to curtain time than we used to be.

If we haven't figured out that this is the place AND TIME to see how alike we all are and to love, not squabble, dance not cry, smile not frown and to hug...than someone needs to point it out to us.

Have a wonderful day in The Villages and feel this hug...everyone.
Old 03-27-2011, 09:37 AM
Veteran member
Location: Wheatfield, NY - next to Niagara Falls; Village of St. James

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post

I have gone to many get togethers at Crispers, and had a few at our home for TOTV'rs and never met anyone who posted frequently on the political forum.

Most people on TOTV and those who you meet in The Villages welcome the chance to meet others...for just about any reason.

I believe that The Villages is overwhelmingly Republican, but I still think there is a huge group of moderates who live here who don't discuss their politics.

We all have differences; our religion, upbringing, geographic areas, basic born with us personalities, but we are mostly alike because we are a little closer to curtain time than we used to be.

If we haven't figured out that this is the place AND TIME to see how alike we all are and to love, not squabble, dance not cry, smile not frown and to hug...than someone needs to point it out to us.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
And it's people like you, GG, and so many of the others with POSITIVE attitudes that make me excited about moving to TV. Thank you!
Of course, the fact that our temp here is moving up to 23 degrees helps my excitement as well. Bring on the warmth and sunshine!
Old 03-27-2011, 10:20 AM
Golden Sunrise Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimdawg View Post

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
And it's people like you, GG, and so many of the others with POSITIVE attitudes that make me excited about moving to TV. Thank you!
Of course, the fact that our temp here is moving up to 23 degrees helps my excitement as well. Bring on the warmth and sunshine!
As usual, Gracie is exactly right. Yank, I hope we (!?) haven't scared you away... But sometimes I think the amount we love this place blinds us a bit to it's faults.

k
Old 03-27-2011, 11:53 AM
Veteran member
Location: Wheatfield, NY - next to Niagara Falls; Village of St. James

Quote:
Originally Posted by katezbox View Post
As usual, Gracie is exactly right. Yank, I hope we (!?) haven't scared you away... But sometimes I think the amount we love this place blinds us a bit to it's faults.

k
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
OMG.......no, you haven't scared me away. I like to "hear it like it is"! I know there is no utopia (or TV would have an indoor pool!). I have learned so much from this forum and I'm very grateful to hear the pros and cons. However, I think some of the members (few) enjoy complaining. I'll read the posts and say to the dawg, "There's Mr. Negative complaining again, etc.". I've had so many friends/acquaintances tell me the negatives of TV....and they've never even visited TV! I'm sure they "mean well"?? I'm in a unique position. I arrived in TV looking for property not knowing a soul. I found it to be everything I want for my future life (sans an indoor pool---am I driving you crazy?). Anyway, thank you for honest posts......and I am excited about becoming a resident in TV.
Old 03-27-2011, 12:01 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post

No wonder you're my hero!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.