Question about Villages Sales Reps

Closed Thread
Old 04-14-2009, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by inda50 View Post
please do not let any one pressure you, you will come to regrete latter, and ask for a different rep. this one sounds very unprofessional. As the buyer, stay in the drivers seat. Don't let an eager salesperson short change you.
!!!
Don't worry about that, it is unlikely that anyone can pressure two former Marines into anything they don't want to do.
Old 04-14-2009, 07:48 PM
Veteran member

Can not in any way relate to your experience.
Met Kathy Ward in July of last year, showed us around, saw her again in December, no pressure.
Got here in March ready to do something, she found us a house and we close on the 21st.
She was also kind enough to have us to Easter dinner.
Talk about the "Friendliest Hometown".
Old 04-14-2009, 08:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73Goat View Post
Is this behavior common for the Sales Reps? I won't name the Rep

My wife and I visited on a lifestyle visit a while ago and prior to coming down I made it very clear (at least I thought I did) that we were not in a position to purchase yet. We wanted to look at the models, sample the lifestyle, answer some questions (villa vs SF, golf view, etc).

We accomplished most of that in the first two days, deciding we want a SF (can't live in a Villa), the Golf view was more important than a large lot for a pool, etc). When we arrived the first thing the rep did was ask "Still on the same time table (late this year, mid next). We replied unfortunately yes.

The rep (with whom we've been talking since 2006) is a very nice person, only this one seems to want to apply a lot of pressure to buy now. We viewed the models on Monday and I asked if we could see some available lots so I could get a feel for the golf view vs large lot not golf view etc. The rep seems to have misinterpreted this to mean we wanted to pick a lot - now. In truth, when we found out about the possibility of the up to one year delay in starting we were tempted and had a long, stressful discussion about it until 2am the night before we went to look at the lots - ultimately deciding that we still had to wait to make the commitment on our original schedule. But we NEVER indicated to the Rep a readiness to buy now.

Anyway, the rep had printed plots and placed the plan we liked with a pool/spa on them. The rep did a lot of work and I didn't expect that but appreciated it. After looking at the lots, which were very nice (we're so sad we couldn't buy now, but we can't). when I told the Rep we would buy now if we could, but just can't the Rep got really upset. Visibly angry when we were dropped off at the Sales Office the Rep left us muttering, in a less than friendly tone, "Come back when you're ready to buy." Not very pleasant parting. Since then the Rep has pretty much blown us off. The last day of our visit we wanted to take one last look at the model we settled on and take some measurements for planning purposes. We asked at the Sales Office in the morning if someone could just run us out there. When they offered to call our Rep we said not to bother them, couldn't someone just run us out there for 15 min. I assume the manager came out and told us they didn't have anyone available, but our Rep was free after 1pm the rest of the day. We reluctantly agreed to wait. The Rep calls us at 1:30 and said they are busy and couldn't get away until 5:30 (they knew we had to leave at 3:30 to catch our flight). Which I found a trifle odd given the manager's comments. I used to be a new home sales rep so I understand the desire of the rep not to miss new traffic, but I still think they could have spent 15 minutes with us.

My wife and I are no longer comfortable dealing with this rep.

Does anyone know 1) if they will switch reps for us and, 2) do you think this is fair of us to do (I understand they are on commission)?
I am confused about what happened. I don't understand why you would have the rep show you lots to see how houses are placed because you could see that anytime by viewing the available houses. There are all sorts of houses already built on all sorts of lots.

After touring the models and being shown around by the rep we selected houses from the on line presentations and from the ones shown in the paper and went around with a map and looked at them ourselves. We couldn't get in, but we could look in the windows.

I think that seeing available lots would be something that would happen when you were about ready to buy. But It doesn't excuse the reps behavior at all. That seems very unprofessional to me.

We had Jim Mclaughlin and we think he is wonderfully patient and very helpful and informative. We are very happy with the experience and especially with our lovely home. I hope you will be too.
Old 04-14-2009, 08:14 PM
Thumbs up Our Rep

Our reps were Penny Chamberlain and Chris Hallmark, I think they are a team.
Our time frame from start to finish was nearly 18 months before we plunked down the cash to buy. Neither Chris or Penny pressured us in any way, and throughout the time they always showed us another model, lot, etc.
I am sure there are other good reps, but these two are the best in our book.
Old 04-14-2009, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I am confused about what happened. I don't understand why you would have the rep show you lots to see how houses are placed because you could see that anytime by viewing the available houses. There are all sorts of houses already built on all sorts of lots.

After touring the models and being shown around by the rep we selected houses from the on line presentations and from the ones shown in the paper and went around with a map and looked at them ourselves. We couldn't get in, but we could look in the windows.

I think that seeing available lots would be something that would happen when you were about ready to buy. But It doesn't excuse the reps behavior at all. That seems very unprofessional to me.

We had Jim Mclaughlin and we think he is wonderfully patient and very helpful and informative. We are very happy with the experience and especially with our lovely home. I hope you will be too.

I used to work for a builder (built over 100 homes) and a new home sales rep and I wanted to walk a few of the lots knowing where the lot boundaries were so I could get an idea in my mind for when I returned home. Not sure I can explain. It helps me to visualize the home. I don't think it was an unreasonable request or one that would/should lead the rep to an unwarranted conclusion.
Old 04-14-2009, 08:31 PM

By the way, the Rep we had is not any of the ones named in this thread.
Old 04-14-2009, 10:22 PM

We also had Bob Knorr and Jackie Murphy. They were very patient and helpful. We actually started looking 4 years before we bought. We were looking all over the country. We came back two more times before we made our decision. From conversations with other villagers and what we picked up from our experiences, it seems that 95% of the sales reps are low pressure and extremely friendly. Sorry for your bad experience, but this is a great place. Give it another try when you are ready.
Old 04-15-2009, 04:49 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73Goat View Post
Don't worry about that, it is unlikely that anyone can pressure two former Marines into anything they don't want to do.

SEMPER FI
Old 04-15-2009, 07:17 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMONEY View Post
SEMPER FI
If the rep tells you his nickname is "Gunny", I smell an instant sale.
Suffering from TV envy
Old 04-15-2009, 07:21 AM
Platinum member
Default Our Rep

We had Ira Miller and he was and still is terrific. He will go above and beyond and still does. We've been here a little over 5 years and he still keeps in touch. He also has an appreciation party every year for all his clients.
Old 04-15-2009, 07:35 AM
Gold member
Location: Retired and living fulltime in The Village of Bonita!

Gosh our rep, Nannette Tolleson is SUPER nice. Told her after our 1st visit in Feb we would be buying in June-August timeframe of this year and she is fine with that and has continued to email and phone us info. I HIGHLY recommend her.

Army Guy
Old 04-15-2009, 08:07 AM
Smile rep

[QUOTE=73Goat;198908]Is this behavior common for the Sales Reps? I won't name the Rep

We had a wonderful Rep. He spent the day with us in Sept. and we have been in contact ever since. We hope to buy in May when we will spend a month there. He was new to TV last year and he knew we weren't ready to buy last Sept. No pressure.
Old 04-15-2009, 09:09 AM
Veteran member
Send a message via Yahoo to MelZ

We had a great sales rep who has become a good friend. No pressure plenty of answers and patience.

I have recommended her to many friends and they are all very complimentary.

Her name is Cathy Peterson and if you work with her I'm sure you will be pleasantly surprised.

Last edited by MelZ; 04-15-2009 at 01:21 PM.
Old 04-15-2009, 09:21 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayakerNC View Post
If the rep tells you his nickname is "Gunny", I smell an instant sale.
If you dont buy it from the Gunny, you might be in the pit the rest of the weekend, hearing, On your back,, On your face,, , On your back,, on your face,, Up down, On your back,, Your to slow Private... Your kidding me, you cant be tired yet, Im not sweating.......................................

Money Out
Old 04-15-2009, 11:12 AM

Sorry you had a bad experience. Our rep was Ron Delk, who was the greatest. No pressure at all, and he spent a lot of time with us. We all "connected" really well. We did purchase last May, and are very happy with our home. As a matter of fact, Ron is a great friend to us and helps us out with any questions we have. Good luck to you. You will love it here!!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.